joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't see what the big secret is, I mean I spell it out in the AFD that was just sent. Why not let a few weenies see the image too. We're really only bound by the pre-release information that could give an advantage to partners over others. This more so applies to headlines and not the forecast values themselves.

Just read your AFD, You spelled it out quite well, You would not need a map to figure where those higher values would be

Great forecast discussion just put up by Gray. I would like to say I apprechiate all the time put into this technical discussion. Great period of weather coming. I am sad that my area could end up being one of the few with a brown christmas though, even to southern NE.

Just read your AFD, You spelled it out quite well, You would not need a map to figure where those higher values would be

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I remember reading AFDs being one of my favorite parts of the lead up to a winter storm when I was younger.

Man look at that shadowing in the NE Kingdom of Vermont... ctsnowstorm might hang himself if he was at Lyndon and this transpired.

Just another solution on the table..nothing more, nothing less.

nam_namer_081_precip_p36.gif

The eastern dacks tend to do very well with strong east to south east flow, would not surprise me to see 15 inch + amounts if this track holds.

Nice pics as always, Freak! I had a short amount of time to get in a hike this afternoon and decided to go to Mt Willard and Mt Avalon at the head of Crawford Notch. 16° at Avalon's 3430' summit and the winds were light thanks to Mt Tom next door. Not as much snow on the trees as Freak's hood has, but if I went to 4k I would've ... hvy hvy frosting on the high peaks. Getting stoked about my next hike on Saturday - I didn't need the snowshoes today (trail was well-packed) but will most certainly need them then.

post-254-0-05515000-1356386436_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-95538800-1356386422_thumb.jpg

That second pic is absolutely beautiful. The views in the mountains are something else... I'm envious you get so much quiet time in the mountains. Its so easy to reflect on life and really feel peaceful. That's the only downside at being at a major eastern ski resort all the time. There's always stuff going on around you, sometimes I need to take a minute to take it all in. That's actually why I enjoy checking the snow stakes so much...its so quite and off-the-beaten path surrounded by evergreens sporting 3 foot piles. That's my "happy place" lol.

Yeah definitely. Consensus usually performs the best.

I first really got a good handle of that during the '07-'08 winter back on eastern. There would probably be 3 or 4 of us mets talking late through the night wondering what the heck these southwest flow events were going to do. I'm sure Ekster has filled you in on some of those.

We all really learned a lot though that winter just by bouncing ideas off eachother and posting all sorts of model data and verification when the time came.

And you had about 20 of those events to practice on. :santa:

Like seeing my whole general area in 10-14" (or more), especially after trying to move 8" of 3:1 glop last week.

Wow...awesome photo. Never seen Crawford notch from this angle.

Nice day in the mountains for sure. That last pic was from the summit of Mt Avalon. This one is from Mt Willard, about 650' lower and looking straight down the gut of the notch. Mt Willard is the wall of rock that when coming up 302 northbound you see just before slipping through the notch itself. A short 1.6 mile hike from Crawford Depot with only 900' of elevation gain. Lots of view per mile. I wish I had a good camera with panoramic function to fully get Webster Cliffs on the left and Mts Willey and Field on the right in the pic, but alas.

post-254-0-91012900-1356392605_thumb.jpg

picked up about 2 or 3 inches of snow with the backlash from the last storm, and mood snow ever since on and off

its a nice white christmas. my parents drove down after digging out from 19 inches in ottawa with the last storm.

hopefully the upcoming event is the one i have been waiting for since i moved to vermont....a real storm!

0z GFS says "hold on with your outlandish accumulations, Ed". Looks like a general 8-14", with 6-10" in shadowed regions.

Areas north on CON...probably near Dendrite..over toward Cold Front jackpot. 12-18". Maybe eliminate 14"+ in the BTV area, and change it to 8-14"...and add a 6-10" spot in the NEK...14"+ still looks from the Lakes Region over toward ME.

0z GFS says "hold on with your outlandish accumulations, Ed". Looks like a general 8-14", with 6-10" in shadowed regions.

Areas north on CON...probably near Dendrite..over toward Cold Front jackpot. 12-18". Maybe eliminate 14"+ in the BTV area, and change it to 8-14"...and add a 6-10" spot in the NEK...14"+ still looks from the Lakes Region over toward ME.

Ill take it. So excited. Do we see wind issues thursday or friday?

Ill take it. So excited. Do we see wind issues thursday or friday?

Likely. Thursday especially with strong ESE flow. Not sure how that affects SB but its not our stock NW wind that most of the mountains know how to deal with.

I think Friday morning should be breezy but fine.

I agree with BTV's forecast even with less QPF... its the backside NW flow high-ratio stuff that'll take us up there. Most folks see 0.01" QPF shading and essentially assume the storm is done, but those two extra panels of the lightest measurable precip can be like 3-6 additional fluffy inches.

.SHORT TERM /7 AM THIS MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 502 AM EST TUESDAY...SHORT-TERM PERIOD BEGINS QUIET...BUT ENDS

WITH THE A SIGNIFICANT NOR`EASTER WHICH IS LIKELY TO BRING A HEAVY

SNOWFALL TO THE REGION BEGINNING WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE REGION FROM THE NORTHWEST

TONIGHT AND THRU THE DAY WEDNESDAY BRINGING DRY WEATHER AND

SEASONABLY COLD TEMPERATURES TO THE NORTH COUNTRY. AMOUNT OF

CLEARING WE SEE TONIGHT IS IN QUESTION...AS SOME MODEL SOUNDINGS

INDICATING AN ABUNDANCE OF LOW LEVEL MOISTURE OVER THE REGION.

HAVE GONE WITH A FORECAST OF PARTLY CLOUDY...AND RAISED TEMPS A

FEW DEGREES FROM MOS GUIDANCE NUMBERS. EXPECT LOWS IN THE SINGLE

NUMBERS AND TEENS. LOOK FOR A CONTINUATION OF PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES

DURING WEDNESDAY...ALTHOUGH AN INCREASE IN CLOUDS CAN BE EXPECTED

LATER IN THE DAY.

NWP MODELS ALL IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH LOW PRESSURE OVER THE

TENNESSEE VALLEY WEDNESDAY REDEVELOPING ALONG MID-ATLANTIC COAST

AT 00Z THURSDAY...LIFTING NNEWD ALONG THE NEW JERSEY COAST BY 12Z

THURSDAY. STRONG NEGATIVE TILT 500MB WAVE DRAWS SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE

NORTHWARD INTO THE FORECAST AREA WITH STRONG SYNOPTIC ASCENT

BEGINNING AFTER MIDNIGHT. ONCE SNOW DEVELOPS...IT APPEARS FROM MODEL

SOUNDINGS THAT INTENSITY WILL INCREASE QUICKLY WITH SNOW BECOMING

HEAVY AT TIMES WITH STRONG UVV AND DENDRITE SNOW GROWTH. HAVE

CONTINUED WITH PREVIOUS THINKING OF HEAVY SNOW DEVELOPING LATE

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WITH SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ON THE GROUND BY

DAYBREAK THURSDAY. PERIOD OF HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION CONTINUES

THROUGH ABOUT 18Z THURSDAY...THEN BEGINS TO DIMINISH AS SURFACE LOW

REACHES GULF OF MAINE BY THURSDAY EVENING. BY NIGHTFALL...EXPECT

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 13 INCHES ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION.

HAVE GONE WITH 12:1-14:1 SNOW RATIO...WHICH IS COMMON FOR THESE

TYPES OF SYSTEMS WITH E-SE 850MB FETCH ACROSS THE REGION.

ALTHOUGH MOST MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT REGARDING THE STORM

TRACK...IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE NAM HAS CONTINUED WITH A TRACK A

BIT FURTHER WEST...WHICH IF PROVEN CORRECT COULD POSE SOME PROBLEMS.

THE RESULT WOULD BE POTENTIALLY STRONG GUSTY WINDS...ESPECIALLY

ALONG THE WEST WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. IT WOULD

ALSO ALLOW FOR MORE MIXED PRECIPITATION ACROSS MUCH OF VERMONT.

THE MIXTURE COMBINED WITH SHADOWING WOULD LIKELY REDUCE SNOW

AMOUNTS SIGNIFICANTLY FROM THE GOING FORECAST. SO CONFIDENCE NOT

THE GREATEST IN THE FORECAST DETAILS...ESPECIALLY FOR SOUTHERN AND

EASTERN VERMONT. IN ANY EVENT THOUGH...IT WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT

STORM WITH MAJOR IMPACTS TO THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA.

OF NOTE...IT HAS BEEN 658 DAYS SINCE THE LAST 6+" SNOWSTORM AT BTV

(3/7/11) AND THIS WILL LIKELY BREAK THAT STREAK.

&&

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 350 AM EST TUESDAY...SURFACE LOW PRESSURE WILL BE LOCATED

JUST NORTHEAST OF CAPE COD BY 00Z FRIDAY...SHIFTING NORTHEAST

INTO THE GULF OF MAINE THROUGH THE NIGHT. THE COMBINATION OF

ABUNDANT LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND SURFACE/MID-LEVEL WINDS SHIFTING

TO THE NORTH/NORTHWEST WILL CREATE A FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR

CONTINUED MODERATE SNOW ACROSS THE REGION...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE

FAVORED UPSLOPE LOCALES ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE NORTHERN

GREEN MOUNTAINS AND NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS OF 2-3" ARE LIKELY THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH STORM TOTALS

ACROSS THE REGION LOOKING TO BE IN THE 10-16" RANGE BY FRIDAY

MORNING WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS.

I see that PF posted the projected snowfall maps and some discussion text above. I’ve added the advisories map below, which is it’s a fairly simple at this point - just Winter Storm Watches across the entirety of the map area. That's the sign of a large storm. We’ll see how these maps develop over the next couple of days, but it’s looking pretty good for folks doing some skiing for the holiday week.

25DEC12A.jpg

Man I-89 from Waterbury to Montpelier must be getting hit hard.

Montpelier is down to 1/2sm moderate snow now...likely high ratio fluff too.

Hitting a brick wall as it moves up here. Flurries at the base of the ski resort and light snow falling at the summit. You can see the virga clearly from up at 3,600ft. Looking out you see the wispy look of snow falling but visibility improves to like 40 miles down below 2,000ft haha.

Merry Christmas NNE. I can confirm PF's post above, at least for Barre, coming down much harder than anything I expected. Haven't been out to measure yet but the eyeball test says about an inch. I see that the NWS map has MPV down for 10-14, I'll take it! It's been so long since we've had a storm like that, I hope I can remember how to shovel!

Archived