Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's 36/31 with only 0.01" dz cost a mere inch of snowpack. Today it's mid-upper 40s at home and the 11" might be down to 8" by sunset. Here in AUG it was 53 at 2 PM and the lawns outside are down to patches (which won't survive the day) and plowpiles. The white under the pines across the street will fare a bit better.

Snow cover took a big hit on my south facing pastures today.  Still mostly snow cover on level and north sides but as you can see south facing slopes are pretty open.  At least the deer get some ground cover to munch on.  On these pictures, one taken this morning and one this evening its interesting to see how the high clouds are still lurking to the south.

post-268-0-31269500-1358200243_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-80011000-1358200248_thumb.jpg

well whatever is left isn't going anywhere. GOing to get downright cold this week. 

and it doesn't look like it's warming up in the near term again. 

Hopefully we can get a few of these passing waves to nickel and dime us back up. Those cold fronts are usually good for a quick 2-4+ which adds up nicely. 

I can definitely vouch for the temp drop. The water dripping from the eaves has frozen on my deck and I took a mega tumble onto my a**. As far as the rest of the snowpack, it took a beating but is still there, maybe 5 or 6 inches. There is still snow on my roof and some ice in my driveway.

Well we have hit 32F and the bleeding has stopped.  Snowpack is pretty crunchy right now. 

I'm left with an evenly spread 4.5-5" in my yard.  Glad to escape with solid snow cover.  My sister said they lost everything in Burlington...though not uncommon in thaws.

Saw plenty of evidence of significant runoff on the mountain... down to 12" at 1,500ft and around 34" at 3,000ft.

Steep ravines and drainages had everything from blow-outs to mud slides/floes. 

These photos are all from pretty low down (2,000ft and below)... so still a decent snowpack in the trees that'll be rock hard from here on out.

IMG_1634_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1633_edited-1.jpg

For the most part, the biggest impact of these thaws is that for woods skiing and backcountry skiing is that all the streams, creeks, and rivers are open again.  Before you could just ski over this stuff, but now every little creek is a gaping hole to cross in the woods.  Makes for some slow and interesting going at times.

IMG_1637_edited-1.jpg

So assessing the damage done to the snowpack I would say that I've definitely seen worse. I would not argue that this hasn't been a torch but I still have solid snow cover (6 inches or so) and even some still on my roof and driveway. All in all it has sucked but it could have been worse. Now lets reload it.

As I expected, the warmest temps for my locale came post fropa. Mixing, FTL.

That being said, the max during the thaw at the house was yesterday's high of 44. Not bad considering some of the other numbers I saw out there.

Survived with 8" of glacier...which will of course be ripe to receive a fresh few inches tomorrow. :snowing:

Topped out at 48 yest, and snowpack down to about 9". The bulletproof 7" left after the pre-Christmans snow-then-rain series was pretty much untouched, and the 12" which fell since then is now compacted and part of that glacial layer.

Mostly cloudy and 35 at noon here in AUG. Continued mixing overnight kept temps from dropping much (upper 20s at my place) but not much rise today. Cold air did better at reaching N.Maine, where FVE was 16 at noon with WCI 4. Ready for a 2-4" freshening.

Archived