• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

Interesting advisories map out from BTV, with the northern Champlain Valley having Winter Weather Advisories.

30DEC12A.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

620 AM EST SUN DEC 30 2012

VTZ002-005-301800-

/O.CON.KBTV.WW.Y.0017.000000T0000Z-121230T1800Z/

WESTERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ST. ALBANS...BURLINGTON

620 AM EST SUN DEC 30 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS

AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN CHITTENDEN AND WESTERN FRANKLIN COUNTIES OF VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE

ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THIS MORNING...THEN RAPIDLY TAPER OFF

AROUND MID-DAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS 17 TO 19.

* VISIBILITIES...1 TO 3 MILES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

30DEC12B.jpg

Looks like Champlain Valley convergence:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 632 AM EST SUNDAY...QUICK UPDATE TO THIS MORNINGS FORECAST TO DROP ADVISORIES AND WARNINGS FOR MOST OF THE AREA EXCEPT FOR THE IMMEDIATE VT CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WHERE LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUE. NO OTHER CHANGES MADE AT THIS TIME. PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FOLLOWS...

COASTAL LOW PRESSURE WHICH BROUGHT ACCUMULATING SNOW TO THE NORTH COUNTRY YESTERDAY AND OVERNIGHT CONTINUES TO RACE NORTHEAST TOWARDS NOVA SCOTIA THIS MORNING. WHILE MUCH OF THE REGION HAS BEGUN TO SEE SNOW TAPER OFF...NORTHERLY CONVERGENT FLOW IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY HAS RESULTED IN MODERATE LAKE ENHANCED SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS WESTERN CHITTENDEN AND ADDISON COUNTIES. THE COMBINATION OF EXCELLENT SNOW GROWTH AND SATURATED LOW LEVELS WILL CONTINUE THESE LAKE EFFECT BANDS ACROSS THE VERMONT SIDE OF THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY THROUGH EARLY MORNING...BUT AS HIGH PRESSURE BEGINS TO BUILD IN FROM THE WEST...ALONG WITH SIGNIFICANT DRYING AT 700MB WE SHOULD SEE SNOW TAPER OFF BY MID- DAY. AS WE FEARED COULD HAPPEN...850MB FLOW HAS REMAINED TOO NORTHERLY AS EVIDENT ON KCXX VAD WIND PROFILE TO PRODUCE UPSLOPE SNOWS ACROSS THE NORTHERN GREENS WITH VERY LITTLE RETURNS NOTED ON RADAR AT THIS TIME. THERE STILL MAY BE A BRIEF WINDOW THIS MORNING WHERE WINDS SHIFT NORTHWESTERLY ENOUGH TO KICK AND INCH OR 2 OF SNOW OUT BEFORE ENDING...SO WE`LL KEEP ADVISORIES AND WARNINGS IN PLACE BUT WILL RE-ASSESS WITH THE NEXT UPDATE AROUND 7 AM.

30DEC12A.gif

We're currently getting some spillover here in Waterbury as well, moderate snow with flakes up to ¾” in diameter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow this is the heaviest snow I've seen even with the big storm on Thursday. Ridiculous snow growth! We must have an 8" total by now with 20" on the ground.

Yeah, we’ve already picked up another inch here since my report; quite a difference in the way this builds up relative to the flakes from yesterday.

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas; the sweet spot for this event thus far seems to be the Central Vermont Ski Areas, although Smuggler’s Notch appears to have topped the enitre list and really stands out as far as the Northern Vermont resort totals go:

Jay Peak: 5”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 15”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 8”

Middlebury: 8”

Suicide Six: 8”

Pico: 13”

Killington: 13”

Okemo: 6”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 6”

Stratton: 7”

Mount Snow: 6”

30DEC12C.jpg

Looking at the interactive snow model this morning and found that this is the most snow on the ground for this time period, end of December, in at least 10 years. I am also referring to most or all of New England too. It could be even longer than that, but the data ends there. We have 3 snow storms now without any melt. This is exactly the kind of winter I like. Even looking forward to the cold next week.

Looking at the interactive snow model this morning and found that this is the most snow on the ground for this time period, end of December, in at least 10 years. I am also referring to most or all of New England too. It could be even longer than that, but the data ends there. We have 3 snow storms now without any melt. This is exactly the kind of winter I like. Even looking forward to the cold next week.

it was just in time for my trip to the north..thanks to the snow gods because 35 and overcast would have been a real bust...now we get a good surge of arctic air to finish the job...will bring back memories of my days at UW-Madison

And i watched that death band rotate away towards the downeast where there are some hefty totals, Looks like 17.5" was the Jackpot down there

..HANCOCK COUNTY...

SOUTHWEST HARBOR 2 S 17.5 828 AM 12/30

HANCOCK 13.0 725 AM 12/30 CO-OP OBSERVER

SURRY 2 E 12.1 930 AM 12/30

BAR HARBOR 10.0 424 AM 12/30

WALTHAM 1 NNE 7.7 925 AM 12/30

...PENOBSCOT COUNTY...

BANGOR 2 W 5.2 700 AM 12/30

LINCOLN 3.0 446 AM 12/30

MILLINOCKET WWTP 2.0 725 AM 12/30 CO-OP OBSERVER

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...

WELLINGTON 3.0 624 AM 12/30

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

ROBBINSTON 1 NW 17.2 900 AM 12/30

MACHIAS 2 ENE 15.0 538 AM 12/30

EAST MACHIAS 4 E 14.0 632 AM 12/30

PRINCETON 9.0 443 AM 12/30

EASTPORT 9.0 823 AM 12/30

TOPSFIELD 8.0 732 AM 12/30

Thanks Jeff! Yeah, some areas just to my northeast by like 10 miles got a foot. Had those slight BL issues we discussed yesterday that held me down 1-3".

Yeah, Around 900mb is was a little toasty for a time, That is always the fear when you see that being modeled, It can't be ignored although some do

Archived