• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

You know, I'm usually too far east for decent upslope. I usually get the tail end leftovers which aren't bad...certainly better than just 8 miles down the road in Barre. Anyway after the small heavy burst around 1:30 this afternoon, it continued to snow lightly all day, not amounting to more than an inch. But man, over the last 4 hours it's really been coming down.

This has been the best upslope event for my house this year.

Yeah, see my obs from earlier when I went to Waterbury. I will say that we have picked up some from about 4:30 on. Nice fluffy inch and a half or so. Back to your point about the upslope, there are usually a few times a year when there is a noticeable difference between here and Montpelier and then there are quite a few times when there is more here than there. Tonight I didn't notice a huge difference between here and E. Montpelier but there was quite a bit more where I was in Woodbury, of course that town is a snow magnet especially away from Rt.14. Anyway, this is probably the most wintry feeling night of the season so far.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, see my obs from earlier when I went to Waterbury. I will say that we have picked up some from about 4:30 on. Nice fluffy inch and a half or so. Back to your point about the upslope, there are usually a few times a year when there is a noticeable difference between here and Montpelier and then there are quite a few times when there is more here than there. Tonight I didn't notice a huge difference between here and E. Montpelier but there was quite a bit more where I was in Woodbury, of course that town is a snow magnet especially away from Rt.14. Anyway, this is probably the most wintry feeling night of the season so far.

Yep, I don't get into Barre all that often, and when I do it's always somewhere downtown, so all my observations are based on that. I know there are higher elevations on most all sides there.

Plus, I'm just barely in the city limits of Montpelier in the NW corner at almost 900' ...I know that helps me here at the house. I could almost throw a rock into Middlesex.

Just checked and closing in on 5" and still coming down. Got a brand-spanking new snow blower waiting in the garage for me tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Yep, I don't get into Barre all that often, and when I do it's always somewhere downtown, so all my observations are based on that. I know there are higher elevations on most all sides there.

Plus, I'm just barely in the city limits of Montpelier in the NW corner at almost 900' ...I know that helps me here at the house. I could almost throw a rock into Middlesex.

Just checked and closing in on 5" and still coming down. Got a brand-spanking new snow blower waiting in the garage for me tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Terrace St.? My father in law lives on Portal Rd. in Middlesex. I think Barre City is 750' asl or so. I'm at 1250' in Barre Town. My plow guy retired and I haven't gotten a new one so it looks likes all shovel for me :(.

Terrace St.? My father in law lives on Portal Rd. in Middlesex. I think Barre City is 750' asl or so. I'm at 1250' in Barre Town. My plow guy retired and I haven't gotten a new one so it looks likes all shovel for me :(.

Off Terrace. Big red barn on the left, do you know it? Without mentioning the name of the street, I'm on that cul-de-sac to the right just a bit past that red barn ;-)

Ah, Barre Town at 1250'...much different than downtown Barre!

Off Terrace. Big red barn on the left, do you know it? Without mentioning the name of the street, I'm on that cul-de-sac to the right just a bit past that red barn ;-)

Ah, Barre Town at 1250'...much different than downtown Barre!

Yes, I know the red barn. Nice area. Head up past there, straight up the hill and there is some really good elevation gain and a lot of snow. I used to work in Middlesex and drive up center road over the hill to my father in law's place just to catch early season elevation events. Middlesex Gap is relatively lose to there as well. Beautiful area that catches a lot of snow.

Did you clear anything this morning? No way there's an inch more here on the Mtn Road near Luce Hill Rd intersection.

In other news... the Mansfield Co-Op reported 2" of new snow and snow depth increased by 6". Not surprising because with the winds, I wouldn't expect any of those flakes to actually find their way into an 8-inch diameter rain gage. Given that I had near 4" at 2pm, a 6 inch increase in depth this evening makes sense. I actually think this season so far if you just tallied up the daily increases in snow depth, it might be higher than the Co-Op's recorded snowfall.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

800 PM EST SAT DEC 22 2012

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.35 31 7 7 2.0 28

Cleared 0.3" earlier in the day so I measured 1.9" total for the day as of 7pm. It is snowing hard and very windy right now. 2" was pretty much what was in the driveway at 7pm (there is quite a bit more now). Might actually have to shovel in the morning.

Really no difference here in Stowe Village 5 miles down the road from the ski resort. I had 1.5" as reported to BTV at 3:30pm when I got home, but I don't think we've added anything more than an additional dusting since then.

My feeling from looking at the webcam in Underhill was that they were getting the same on the west slope as the ski area on the east slope. Although there was almost 4" at 2pm on the upper mountain, 1,500ft was only 2.5".

It just looks a lot more impressive in the photos because of the high winds. It was snowing heavily but the wind just wasn't allowing it to stack up like usual. It had that feel of a day where if the winds were calm, we would've gotten 6-8" instead of 2-4" of wind hammered snow. There's just no QPF in that stuff so the wind just crushes it.

I'm surprised this is a relatively unblocked flow based on the radar... I know composite radar can be misleading (except its the only one that seems to give me the best idea of what's happening at the mountain), but when the radar echos "peak" in the Williston/Richmond area, that to me seems to translate to the ground on the western slope. Usually the strong winds aloft seem to cause that snow to propagate downwind (in my experience) from where the composite radar shows them... so that stuff is probably ending up in the Bolton-Underhill corridor. I just know that when composite radar shows the heaviest echos in central Chittenden County, its too far east for here in town. When they are over western Chittenden County or the county line, that's usually good for here. For whatever reason, heavier echos overhead don't seem to matter, haha, its the echos to the west that seem to relate more to my home precipitation rates.

For comparison, here's a composite from last February's big upslope storm when we got 17" even in Stowe Village to the east of the Spine. The echos seem to "peak" right over the ridgeline (county line) and that snow ends up falling downwind in town. For me in Stowe Village, I like to see the composite radar echos reach their max dbz over the Spine.

This was producing 1-2"/hr rates down in Stowe village where echos are much less overhead. My assumption is the strong winds were blowing the snow shown by those 30dbz+ echos over the Spine, downwind into town.

I've noticed this phenomenon around here as well during upslope events. For me to get the heaviest snow, I actually need the heaviest echoes to be right along the NY/MA line, just to my west. If they're overhead, the heavier snow often reaches the ground to my east and I may not be getting anything more than flurries. This usually doesn't occur as much with synoptic precipitation, or at least it's not as noticeable, since the precipitation shields are much larger compared to these narrow upslope bands.

Case in point, earlier this morning I had a nice burst of snow, but the best reflectivities were a bit to my west along the Taconics. Meanwhile, as the top of the BL lifted during the day and the flow became less blocked, the band shifted to the east, to nearly overhead of me at one point in the afternoon. I didn't get much more than flurries while it was overhead since the snow was being blown downstream. Due to the slow fall of snowflakes, they can probably make it nearly 8-10 miles downstream in strong winds like today.

The inversion height determines how far east the upslope makes it. Lower inversions favor western areas, higher inversions further east. For me, it's somewhere in the middle.

Happens during most of these events... more than expected on immediate west slopes...Jeffersonville/Underhill/West Bolton north to Fletcher and eastern Franklin county.

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION FOLLOWS...QUICK UPDATE TO UPGRADE THE WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR EASTERN FRANKLIN...EASTERN ADDISON AND

EASTERN CHITTENDEN COUNTIES IN VERMONT TO A WINTER STORM WARNING

THROUGH 7 AM SUNDAY. RADAR CONTINUES TO SHOW LOCAL ENHANCEMENT

ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. WE HAVE ALSO

RECEIVED REPORTS OF UP TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IN THE

WARNING AREA. AN ADDITIONAL COUPLE OF INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE IN

THESE AREAS...WITH A TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 5 TO 10 INCHES.

BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW REDUCING VISIBILITIES UNDER 1 MILE

WILL ALSO BE A CONCERN. OTHERWISE...HAVE MADE NO OTHER CHANGES.

Event totals: 11.6” Snow/1.25” L.E.

After the 10:00 P.M. clearing and analysis, I took a few intermediate measurements off the snowboard last night before heading to bed:

Time/Total Snow on Snowboard

10:30 P.M.: 1.0”

11:00 P.M.: 2.0”

11:30 P.M.: 2.1”

12:00 A.M.: 2.1”

It was still snowing at a moderate clip for a while after 11:00 P.M., but with snow that dry (~2% H2O) the new accumulation couldn’t even outpace the settling. I also caught a radar shot of when the snow was shutting off – there was a very distinct line moving in from the west that was visible on the radar:

22DEC12B.gif

There has been another tenth of an inch of snow accumulation on the board from this morning’s activity, but precipitation has cleared out now.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 52.5

Snow Density: 1.9% H2O

Temperature: 20.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Found an even 10" of fluff on the upper mountain snow board this morning...that's since yesterday afternoon and indicates the evening/overnight snowfall.

So we are looking at storm total now of 8.5" at 1,500ft and 13" at 3,000ft.

Pics later. Skiing is unreal. 88 trails open now and more coming as we speak. Pretty much everything except the headwalls of the Front Four at this point.

Snow depth at 3,000ft is now 32-33". Its waist deep walking back in there. 34" tallied in the last 7 days at that location.

Found an even 10" of fluff on the upper mountain snow board this morning...that's since yesterday afternoon and indicates the evening/overnight snowfall.

So we are looking at storm total now of 8.5" at 1,500ft and 13" at 3,000ft.

Pics later. Skiing is unreal. 88 trails open now and more coming as we speak. Pretty much everything except the headwalls of the Front Four at this point.

Snow depth at 3,000ft is now 32-33". Its waist deep walking back in there. 34" tallied in the last 7 days at that location.

Sure enough Pittsburgh, NH freshened the snow pack nicely with 5.8" yesterday. Not even close to what was in our forecast.

2.9" overnight brings the storm total to just short of 5". I'm amazed at how quickly the accumulation falls off as you move east from Mt Mansfield. There is easily twice as much snowfall from yesterday's storm over on the Mountain Road. Makes for a great shovelling/skiing ratio.

Wow - Euro verbatim would be a big hit in NNE for the 27th storm and an massive hit for the storm on the 30th. Really glad to be heading up to Sugarbush for new years.

Back home in the CP looks like a total :axe: .. obviously tons of time for things to move around, but I'm really liking how things are shaping up for NNE. Should be a great base being setup for all sorts of winter activities.

Wow - Euro verbatim would be a big hit in NNE for the 27th storm and an massive hit for the storm on the 30th. Really glad to be heading up to Sugarbush for new years.

Back home in the CP looks like a total :axe: .. obviously tons of time for things to move around, but I'm really liking how things are shaping up for NNE. Should be a great base being setup for all sorts of winter activities.

It is looking good for the next 10 days

We have seen that before. It's still possible that the 2 big systems next week end up messy for many. I won't count my chickens before they hatch.

I didn't think saying it looks good is spiking balls, We all have seen it before you want me to say it looks like its going to suck the next 10 days?

Mtn reported 12" at the summit which i thought may have been light. But i hiked over from lincoln peak to castlerock and there was definitely more over there.

Been snowing lightly since 1.

Lather rinse repeat.

Yeah it skied a lot deeper than numbers indicated but either way, on Mansfield I had 10" overnight (since 3pm yesterday) with a 24 hour total of 13".

IMG_0422_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0423_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0427_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0431_edited-1.jpg

I'll post some ski shots in the ski thread.

Models seem to show the chance for a fluff 1-3" tonight... connection to Lake Ontario and I'd have to say that MRG/Sugarbush portion of the Greens look like the favored spot with wind flow off Ontario.

However, its been snowing lightly for the past couple hours with a dusting or a couple tenths down. Really great snow growth.

Tale of two states here in VT. We have a nice looking, solid snow cover but it is a completely different story when you head east. Just got back from Woodsville, NH and there is barely a dusting once you get past the Rt. 232 intersection in Groton and it was a relatively warm and sunny 32F. Back in Barre, overcast, light snow and 25F.

Good burst of snow here in Williston. This should ensure it will be just barely a white Christmas which is nice (along with some light snow possible tomorrow night into Christmas morning). Of course I am excited about the wed night-thu prospects.

Archived