• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

Not a great deal of snow left at home - mostly just piles and patches - but over in the mountains there is plenty. I almost left the snowshoes at home, and that would have been a mistake as there was probably a foot or more or wet crusty snow on the trails.

I planned on visiting three falls (Arethusa, Ripley and Thoreau) along with Frankenstein Cliff which would have been a total of 17.3 miles but right out of the gate on the ascent to Arethusa Falls I knew that after having been sick all week that there was no way in hell I had the energy needed for such a long hike. Not only that, but snowshoes really slow a person down. So, I pared my original plan down to only Arethusa and Frankenstein Cliff - perhaps 5 or 6 miles.

Temp was right around freezing with very light snow falling - perfect conditions. The only spot with a view was a viewpoint on Frankenstein Cliff looking south through Crawford Notch, but that was alright. I was just happy to take the snowshoes on a test drive on actual trails. Here's hoping for more snow in the coming week.

post-254-0-86156600-1356193972_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-83641100-1356193244_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a great deal of snow left at home - mostly just piles and patches - but over in the mountains there is plenty. I almost left the snowshoes at home, and that would have been a mistake as there was probably a foot or more or wet crusty snow on the trails.

I planned on visiting three falls (Arethusa, Ripley and Thoreau) along with Frankenstein Cliff which would have been a total of 17.3 miles but right out of the gate on the ascent to Arethusa Falls I knew that after having been sick all week that there was no way in hell I had the energy needed for such a long hike. Not only that, but snowshoes really slow a person down. So, I pared my original plan down to only Arethusa and Frankenstein Cliff - perhaps 5 or 6 miles.

Temp was right around freezing with very light snow falling - perfect conditions. The only spot with a view was a viewpoint on Frankenstein Cliff looking south through Crawford Notch, but that was alright. I was just happy to take the snowshoes on a test drive on actual trails. Here's hoping for more snow in the coming week.

post-254-0-86156600-1356193972_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-83641100-1356193244_thumb.jpg

you're an animal with all the hiking you do.

looks like some decent moisture upstream- seems like it keeps filling in nicely. montreal radar showed some pretty strong returns (33-36dbz) around Massena. Should be making its way to N VT in a couple hours. very nice

Flow is not particularly blocked this afternoon and then becomes slightly more blocked this evening. Thus a lot of light snow showers but not much in the way of heavy snow concentrated anywhere but the spine or just east (at least through this afternoon). Most of the event looks to be largely unblocked which would favor the spine and east, especially an area like Jay Peak. Western slopes will likely still see some decent snow, especially this evening, but jackpot will likely be right along the spine or just east. Could be a Jay Peak special.

Haven't looked at radar, but looked like the mountains were getting hit with more than the light mood flakes that I had coming down on my hike. Wished I was still there.

Yup, As expected, With the heavier rates we flipped to snow, Decent band ready to move thru with 28 dbz echoes, Temp has dropped 5F

post-1154-0-69096000-1356202872_thumb.jp

post-1154-0-99011900-1356204061_thumb.jp

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/1.03” L.E.

It’s been fairly light snow here at the house, with just 1.3” since 6:00 A.M. this morning. I headed up to the mountain mid to late morning for a few runs, so I’ll pass along some snowfall information. At around 10:00 A.M. I found 2” of new snow at the Timberline Base (1,500’), 3” in the Village (2,100’) and then about 4” up top on the main mountain at the Vista Summit (3,150’). Snowfall was generally moderate, with occasional bursts of heavy. One can probably add another inch or two to those snowfall numbers by this point.

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.3

Snow Density: 6.2% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

seems like the snow's going nicely at 1330' on the west slope/base of the spine. big flakes.

too bad the other webcam is no longer operating (the field with all the instrument platforms a few hundred yards away at same elevation) :

proctor.jpg

looks like there's advisories all the way down to southern VT and into the Berkshires as a band has made its way south. downsloping into the CT river valley is keeping us out of the action. few flurries, but no dice.

MRG is planning to spin the lifts monday (both single and double) with most terrain open. probably have the lifts spinning today with patrol out putting up the usual bamboo and ropes. always a good sign when MRG opens before x-mas.

Just a few weenie flakes here on the coast. Sound like the 12z Euro took away any hope of a white Christmas in these parts.

Really backed off strength and QPF up this way. But it was always going to be a sharp cut off on the north side. Still some model support for around an inch in the PWM area, but I'd feel better if I lived around ASH.

Whiteout conditions at the ski resort... like true whiteout. Heavy falling snow but lots of wind. Really hard to measure on the whole, but at my sheltered snow plot at 3,000ft we had picked up 4" so far. Base area was 2-2.5" with much more drifting through the hardwoods where my 1,500ft stake is.

Pics coming ;)

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/1.03” L.E.

It’s been fairly light snow here at the house, with just 1.3” since 6:00 A.M. this morning. I headed up to the mountain mid to late morning for a few runs, so I’ll pass along some snowfall information. At around 10:00 A.M. I found 2” of new snow at the Timberline Base (1,500’), 3” in the Village (2,100’) and then about 4” up top on the main mountain at the Vista Summit (3,150’). Snowfall was generally moderate, with occasional bursts of heavy. One can probably add another inch or two to those snowfall numbers by this point.

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.3

Snow Density: 6.2% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

You are counting this snowfall in with the front end snow yesterday right...to get the 3.6"?

At my place in Stowe we've got 1.5" from the upslope snow showers. Definitely a bit lackluster in town but a nice steady light snow.

Just got back from a trip to Waterbury Center to the Cabot Creamery Annex store. While we have had on and off snowshowers here in Barre, the intensity and duration picked up as I headed west on 89, with more towards Montpelier and Middlesex. When I left it was snowing at a nice moderate clip. I was thinking that PF was getting whacked up the road, looks like that is the case.

Nicely freshened indeed!.

IMG_3189.jpg

Down to 1/4 mile visibility. Beautiful snow, drifting in all the right places. Nice steady hum to the wind.

Great pics PF. Santa sure is kind. To bad we can't keep this up for another day. Tomorrow morning should be best ski of the season.

Finally figured out a route so I can ski to work this year. should be some nice views from this field.

IMG_3190.jpg

Short video from Stowe today:

The skiing was just getting good when the toddler's little legs expired :)

Cool vid. Always good to see kids stoked on skiing... but you gotta let your kids know that not everyone gets to grow up in a ski town ;) I was always sooo jealous of those kids growing up, haha. Lucky ones.

Just got back from a trip to Waterbury Center to the Cabot Creamery Annex store. While we have had on and off snowshowers here in Barre, the intensity and duration picked up as I headed west on 89, with more towards Montpelier and Middlesex. When I left it was snowing at a nice moderate clip. I was thinking that PF was getting whacked up the road, looks like that is the case.

Yeah the mountain was getting whacked..not so much in town. Same as Allenson with 1.5" today. Totally different world though right under the immediate Spine at 1,500ft, but that's usually the case anyway.

I'm incredibly jealous about the Cabot Annex store... they knew me by name in there for years from stopping for free cheese and snacks after skiing and driving back to Jonesville or Burlington. I figure I'm going to stop and buy beer or snacks from the Mobil anyway, but Mobil doesn't have a free cheese buffet with crackers and spreads, too ;)

Easily the most gnarly winter conditions of the season... high winds and heavy snow = upslope blizzard conditions.

68668_10101456510408330_2117269603_n.jpg

148919_10101456511276590_1532026564_n.jpg

IMG_0343_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0347_edited-1.jpg

Pretty rugged driving conditions on the way home...

IMG_0350_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0355_edited-1.jpg

Just about 4" new snow today at 3,000ft by 2pm.

IMG_0345_edited-1.jpg

Fairly unblocked flow helping out the spine and east today. Heaviest snow falling downwind of the mountains so far today as the wind pushes it up and over. May back up a little this evening if the inversion can strengthen. Pretty much light-moderate snow here along the western slopes, but only 1.5" as of 4:45pm.

Archived