• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

Had some light snow overnight in Williston but no accums.It was nice to see a few flakes at the start of my visit though. If the weekend doesn't produce anything in the CPV it is a brown Christmas here.

Man worlds of difference on the east side of Mansfield... I was up to around 2" by the time I left home with 5" of depth in the yard. I think we've got a white Xmas about 15 miles as the crow flies from Williston...and not a ton of elevation difference as Williston is up in that 400-800ft range.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man worlds of difference on the east side of Mansfield... I was up to around 2" by the time I left home with 5" of depth in the yard. I think we've got a white Xmas about 15 miles as the crow flies from Williston...and not a ton of elevation difference as Williston is up in that 400-800ft range.

I am going to head for the Greens tomorrow afternoon for a time if the upslope cranks. It is raining here now.

0.5" snow. Rain now. Quite the difference in temps from my ride down from raymond. It was 33F at the house. Got to work in PWM and now 40F. SE winds already gusty here.

We definitely had some strong gusts overnight in Williston. A few in the 40-50 range I think.

fascinating stucture to this storm complex. Got a real dual low going on right now. Secondary drifting over NYC....

Temps are all over the place. SPC says 850s over NorVT are in the +3 range. The nose is reading 24. Hmmm.

Really interested to see how this plays out.

I'd REALLY like a report from somewhere above 4k in the 'dacks. My best guess is it's dumping up there.

Calm winds, 32 f and 2.1 inches new of snow when I left this morning. There was a lull in the precip. It was actually very pretty as the snow is stuck to everything. It looked like more than 2 inches but I guess i haven't gotten used to seeing snow much this year yet. I will get better at eyeballing it as the season goes on,.

Here's to hoping the new low helps pull the changeover line back in faster.

thck.gif?1356098012841

pchg.gif?1356097863977

Agreed. 6z GFS also depicts we may be right on the edge of getting bombed with heavy QPF right before/after the turnover back to snow later this evening. Fingers crossed that the sneaky low changes us back over fast enough so we dump for a few hours before things dissipate and then the upslope machine kicks in...here's the 6z frame I'm talking about:

06zgfs850mbTSLPp06018.gifhttp://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/06zgfs850mbTSLPp06018.gif

5 inches of heavy wet at Gore, they did better than whiteface, just an odd setup.

we used to trailer the sleds that way on our way up north to save a bit of time, but just wasn't worth it. dangerous road.

I wonder if we're talking about the same road, the 6-mile east-west stretch going thru Rome village and connecting Rts 8 and 27. Unless one lives in the WVL area, using that road adds distance when heading north, and even from WVL it's not much different (and much uglier) than staying on Rt 137 thru Smithfield/Mercer.

Snow arrived 5 AM, and when I left a bit before 7 it was moderate with 0.8" new. Looks like that band (with some 30 dbz puckles) moved beyond MBY between 8:30 and 9, and Wunderground had that area still below freezing at 9:20, so I'm guessing 2-3" at home. (To be slushified later. :cry: )

Wow not bad! I'm in chicago where our 2-5 didn't materialize. You are a trooper to get up and measure with a 102.7 fever...I haven't had a fever like that since I was a kid.

Decatur, where my daughter son-in-law and grandkids live, appears to have gotten 1-2" backside yesterday. Also gusts to 58 at the airport (they live 1/2 mile to its NW) with the power going out just before dinnertime, and with Andy's folks visiting from SC. The gas range was fine but the furnace went quiet. They were told their power would probably not return until about 8 this morning, and wunderground showed 18F there with sustained 29 mph winds at that hour. Bundle up!

I wonder if we're talking about the same road, the 6-mile east-west stretch going thru Rome village and connecting Rts 8 and 27. Unless one lives in the WVL area, using that road adds distance when heading north, and even from WVL it's not much different (and much uglier) than staying on Rt 137 thru Smithfield/Mercer.

Snow arrived 5 AM, and when I left a bit before 7 it was moderate with 0.8" new. Looks like that band (with some 30 dbz puckles) moved beyond MBY between 8:30 and 9, and Wunderground had that area still below freezing at 9:20, so I'm guessing 2-3" at home. (To be slushified later. :cry: )

Wow not bad! I'm in chicago where our 2-5 didn't materialize. You are a trooper to get up and measure with a 102.7 fever...I haven't had a fever like that since I was a kid.

Decatur, where my daughter son-in-law and grandkids live, appears to have gotten 1-2" backside yesterday. Also gusts to 58 at the airport (they live 1/2 mile to its NW) with the power going out just before dinnertime, and with Andy's folks visiting from SC. The gas range was fine but the furnace went quiet. They were told their power would probably not return until about 8 this morning, and wunderground showed 18F there with sustained 29 mph winds at that hour. Bundle up!

yes, same road. We'd usually take that from our place in belgrade lakes towards norridgwock, but eventually just took 27 all the way to rt 2 then went east.

Good to hear she's been over performing. Been checking the weather for local Davis station on Mt. Weetamoo and he broke 32 around an hour ago. Looks like freezing temp is around 2500'. Hopefully the upper slopes stay snow for a good portion of this system.

Higher summit forecast from MW:

Low pressure will be moving northeast over the forecast period. Today, the low will be moving up from the Ohio River Valley, over NY State and then over northern NH. It's path so far has it delivering a moist southerly flow that will bring steady precipitation that may become heavy at times. Temperatures should remain cold enough on the higher summits to remain as snow with this low, but the warm, moist southerly flow will cause locations below 5000 feet to likely see a transition to rain by this afternoon. Areas that do see snow this morning or continue to see snow through the day will also be dealing with heavy blowing snow as winds ramp up and stir up the snow from this system and from earlier in the week. This may cause white out conditions at several times during the day.

Overnight, a cold front tied to the surface low slowly passes, bringing continued snow in the evening that will taper to snow showers later as the front lifts northeast. Behind the cold front, temperatures will be falling to more seasonable levels by early Saturday and then slowly decreasing over the course of the day. An upper level jet wrapping around a trailing upper level low on Saturday will bring continued summit fog and light snow showers through the day. New snowfall today will range 4 to 6 inches with an additional 1 to 3 inches overnight and a trace to 2 inches on Saturday.

I believe his folks have a place in Belgrade Lakes. I ONLY use 225 now to get to Rangely as its so bad. If heading to Eustis we'll go the back way through Madison and come out in Kingfield by Annies.

Archived