Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my new pad and living room window view looking ESE. I can see past Concord up towards Tilton the other direction. Wachusett is visible looking SW. Hopefully winter arrives before Spring settles in.

Congrats!

I love seeign mountains. I can see Wachusett from my living room in Lowell, and Waterville Valley (and a few more) from the cabin.

Hoping those maps above are right. On the cusp of 2-4 at the cabin and WV is in the 4-6". Wonder how much is on the front end and gets washed away??

If you count the upslope on Saturday, I don't see how this area doesn't come away with a net gain, at least at the ski resort from 1,500ft-4,000ft.

Still holding onto a crusty/firm 3" of snow here in town that's at least covering the grass... hopefully all the QPF locked up in that 3" of snow will give it some staying power against the rain tomorrow. Still think we can get away with a white Christmas in town, especially if upslope this weekend allows a couple inches to drift down into town.

Isn’t this storm just another one in the series like we’ve been getting, but with the potential for more upslope on the back end? Each one of these systems seems to pound the mountains with dense snow; I think this week’s gains shown in the Mt. Mansfield snowpack plot below can attest to that. The Mt. Mansfield graphical point forecast simplifies things of course, but it has just one precipitation block through Sunday that isn’t pure snow:

20DEC12B.jpg

I think we should definitely appreciate how good we have it to be right in the storm track and get all this precipitation. Even down here at 500’ the snowpack is doing fine – it’s definitely consolidated down a bit, but it’s dense with a lot of liquid in there. The Mt. Mansfield snowpack is up to 20” as of today – average appears to be ~28”, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re up near that average level after this next storm:

20DEC12A.jpg

This storm really looks like quite a beast on the national radar:

20DEC12A.gif

Congrats!

I love seeign mountains. I can see Wachusett from my living room in Lowell, and Waterville Valley (and a few more) from the cabin.

Hoping those maps above are right. On the cusp of 2-4 at the cabin and WV is in the 4-6". Wonder how much is on the front end and gets washed away??

Wow , what general area is that??

I remember living in Plymouth and weenieng seeing the shrouded snowcapped 2k els, while spritzing rain there on the valley floor. From the Smith Hall dorm you can clearly see the Thornton/Campton ridgeline, anyway. That's a good spot.

I think we should definitely appreciate how good we have it to be right in the storm track and get all this precipitation. Even down here at 500’ the snowpack is doing fine – it’s definitely consolidated down a bit, but it’s dense with a lot of liquid in there. The Mt. Mansfield snowpack is up to 20” as of today – average appears to be ~28”, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re up near that average level after this next storm:

with a 3-5" paste in the front end thump, then maybe 4-8" on the backside if the models are under shooting the qpf in the mts, yeah- we should be looking at near-average snowpack by sunday. now, all we need is for MN to hit the repeat button and we're in the money.

mostly rain with some flakes mixed in... rain picked up, looked like we were gonna lose the flakes. went the other way, coating of white, sticking to roads in some places. hopefully things pile up to the north

~.2" here in western mass at ~300ft

1.6-1.7" so far at 440am at home at 750ft.

Snowing lightly but steadily.

33F and snow is sticking to every little surface. A nice plastering in progress.

Pretty cool radar as you can see the bright banding echos on the western slope and Champlain Valley...but from the county line (spine) on eastward, those bright banding echos wash out to just a nice light snow here.

mostly rain with some flakes mixed in... rain picked up, looked like we were gonna lose the flakes. went the other way, coating of white, sticking to roads in some places. hopefully things pile up to the north

~.2" here in western mass at ~300ft

Great--another western Mass member. Where are you located? I'm up in Shelburne.

Tapering to flurries now. 2.8" with 0.28" water equiv for a perfect 10:1

Congrats--good to have kept the initial round of lighter stuff snow. Looks like the main rain band is now entering Mass and will likely be here within the next half hour.

Continuing to warm in advance of that--33.0/32.

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.25” L.E.

I found 2.2 inches of snow on the snowboard this morning, and it was comprised of a hefty 0.25 inches of liquid to come in at a Sierra-like 11.4% H2O. The light snow that was falling has since wound down and we’re currently in a lull, but it sounds like the next round of precipitation will be along in a few hours.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.25 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.8

Snow Density: 11.4% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Tapering to flurries now. 2.8" with 0.28" water equiv for a perfect 10:1

Wow not bad! I'm in chicago where our 2-5 didn't materialize. You are a trooper to get up and measure with a 102.7 fever...I haven't had a fever like that since I was a kid.

We are slowly but surely getting the cold and snow into the window of less than 7 days. HPC has been consistently painting a coastal storm, more of a hugger, and rejecting the Euros inland/cutter track. I didn't see the Euro qpf but it sounds good since the storm is progged to move slowly. It also sounds like there is more to come after the 27th.

Cheers hope you continue feeling better. A 104 fever is dangerous for an adult.

Archived