ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious to see how long we hang on to snow Friday morning. Could be ripping for the short time that it falls as snow.

It looks to ramp up fairly quickly, But so don't those southerly winds out ahead as well, If we would have had a nice 1030+mb high anchored over Quebec with a nice cold pool on these last couple it would have been epic

It’s been great hearing all the weather observations from around the NVT area today, and I’ll pass along a few more since we just drove back through the mountains from Burlington this evening. As I mentioned in my morning report, it was snowing in Burlington this morning with no accumulation, and then as we got toward midday the snow pulled back so that it was just along the mountains. I checked on the Bolton Valley Live Web Cam a couple of times and saw that it was snowing, but I’d sort of forgotten about it after that, since in Burlington it was a fairly benign evening. As we headed back home into the mountains, we were suddenly reminded that Mother Nature had different plans there. It started with a few spits of misty rain, which became heavier the farther east we went, and as we passed through the spine it started to pour and then it turned to snow. Anyway, it’s been light snow here at the house comprised of small flakes, but with the temperatures dropping it’s slowly been accumulating. I see that up above us at Bolton they reported another 4 inches today in their afternoon update:

“Holy early season delight Batman! Today turned out to be rather solid for skiing and riding after a few days of uncertain weather. Today we added 4 inches of snow to our total. And, that snow has become increasingly lighter and dryer, leading to a powdery surface. Turns felt easy and fluid today.”

Nice to see some stars out there this morning. All is dried out and frozen up after almost 1.5" of liquid this week.

2-3" of white crust on the ground.

This recent surge of precip has brought me up to 39.73" for the year to date. Topping 40" will be a slam dunk at this point, where a month ago, it was looking like we might not make it

104F fever FTL

Damn dude, get well.

Edit: it was clear but just went outside again and found solid cloud cover...

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.86” L.E.

There was another 0.4” of snow on the snowboard this morning, which will probably mark the end of this storm. The next storm in the parade is expected to start up tonight with some snow and sleet. In his morning broadcast, Roger Hill didn’t really have much to say about upslope snow on the back side of the system; he just mentioned some fluff for the mountains. But, it sure looks like moisture hangs around well into Sunday on the models.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.7

Snow Density: 7.5% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

On the Euro it starts fairly cold here though...west of ALB. -2C 850 at 4Z to 9Z tomorrow and rises above the 0C line around 12Z. GC areas of western Mass look similar.

Driving rainstorm and 50F tomorrow, yipee! Seasonal temps and dry after. Wash rinse repeat. Sans western/northern ME, our neck of the woods looks terrible. Real cold/snow always another week away

On the Euro it starts fairly cold here though...west of ALB. -2C 850 at 4Z to 9Z tomorrow and rises above the 0C line around 12Z. GC areas of western Mass look similar.

We will see some snow here at the onset before the changeover, Prob an inch or two here with 3-5" mtns 2-4" possibly northern maine

Upslope threat over weekend seems to be getting downplayed what is the latest?

Duration is looking a bit less to me. Models are trending towards vertical stacking more overhead rather than to the NE... the best NW flow couplet and moisture seems to be in western NY but it will translate NE to a good period of snow in the upslope regions Saturday afternoon/evening/night... just looks like best period of upslope conditions are only like 6-9 hours rather than 12-18 as models were showing yesterday. I still think the mountains exceed 6" (they can do that fairly easily in the upper elevations with 20-30:1 ratios) but it may be harder to top 12".

I still like 6-12" by Sunday PM for the resorts Sugarbush/MRG/Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs/Jay.

Finnish up yesterdays storm with 1.54" liquid

Storm #1, Sunday aft thru 9 PM Monday, 9.3" and 0.75" LE.

Storm #2, thru about last midnight, 3.6" and 1.78" total precip, about half frozen, half rain.

We had constant precip for 80+ hours, with 2-event totals 12.9" and 2.53". Currently 8" OG, holding most of that 2.53" plus perhaps 1/3" from the 1" armorplate that preceded these events.

Storm #1, Sunday aft thru 9 PM Monday, 9.3" and 0.75" LE.

Storm #2, thru about last midnight, 3.6" and 1.78" total precip, about half frozen, half rain.

We had constant precip for 80+ hours, with 2-event totals 12.9" and 2.53". Currently 8" OG, holding most of that 2.53" plus perhaps 1/3" from the 1" armorplate that preceded these events.

Storm #1 here was 5.0" and 0.52" liquid equiv

Archived