SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
18-20th Storm potential/ Discussion

stormspotterlive

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to to be too obtuse, but I thought we would need some stronger teleconnection signals to get cold air in here for the storm since the polar vortex will be on the other side of the world.

Cold air is lacking, not going to deny that. But if things were laid out like some of the gfs runs had yesterday morning and monday night that could be how you would get a snow event towards the cities.

Sorry to to be too obtuse, but I thought we would need some stronger teleconnection signals to get cold air in here for the storm since the polar vortex will be on the other side of the world.

12zeuro500mbHGHTNH168.gif

yes, the PV is over yonder, and the PNA is less than ideal, but the ao is negative, as well as a nicely placed west based -NAO. not every storm can be -EPO, +PNA, -AO, -NAO, (unless its feb 10' !!!)... the NAO block is all that we have to lean on. we're walking a fine line. and if this set up was early November, id write it off. But, there's legs on this. Just gonna be a thread the needle type system as far as track and intensity goes.

Just want to make sure everyone has their bar set low. Even though the synoptic setup looks alright, the lack of cold air around is going to hurt places especially from philly metro on south and east. Anything can happen with this storm, but don't get all down if this system is only a rain event for us. The pattern afterwards looks a heck of a lot better and cold air wouldn't be an issue if a storm were to come along.

If we don't get a pseudo 50/50 it will torch us, man that is a bomb on the EURO though. tombo @ 192 hrs is it still precipitating in our area because it looks cold enough at that point. I'm going off free maps of course.

240hr EURO doesn't look good though...It's cold but it looks transient and would torch a few days later prob.

Just saw this..it may be cold enough, but it amounts to .1-.25 in a 6 hr period which is a snow that doesn't stick. If it were in the 20s, different story but not at or above freezing.

Just saw this..it may be cold enough, but it amounts to .1-.25 in a 6 hr period which is a snow that doesn't stick. If it were in the 20s, different story but not at or above freezing.

Tom,

while the cold air source is limited, i think we're about 2 steps ahead of ourselves here. we've had more questions than answers today by the models as far as the evolution of this time period. But to get into specifics of thermal profiles when we don't even know which shortwave is our threat, seems pointless.

Again, not saying you're wrong ( i think its a very valid concern), just think we're better off determining the evolution of this pattern. 1st,2nd or 3rd wave... i quite frankly, have no idea. LOL.

I see alot of level-headedness in this subforum. I think most people realize (at this point) its a marginal set up at best. Still, its better than a GLC or OTS.

Bring the storm just east of us and maybe someone in the subforum lucks out in the end.

Sure beats these mostly cloudy days in the 40s.

I see alot of level-headedness in this subforum. I think most people realize (at this point) its a marginal set up at best. Still, its better than a GLC or OTS.

Bring the storm just east of us and maybe someone in the subforum lucks out in the end.

Sure beats these mostly cloudy days in the 40s.

Its December. Mostly cloudy days in the 40s is (gasp) normal ;)

IMO, (probably was discussed earlier but I'm jumping in on page 3) it looks like the Euro is struggling a fair amount in handling the various systems between Sun & Wed...

There are really only going to be two storms -- first on Sunday, second on Tues (or Wed).

Given that the first wave continues to look rather weak/modest I'm not sure the second storm is going to hug the coast ultimately...I can see a bit more inland track or a Miller B setup where the secondary fires off of Jersey but we get mild air throughout the region.

We really need wave 1 to be stronger in order to pull down some colder air to give us a shot at making this work.

Tom,

while the cold air source is limited, i think we're about 2 steps ahead of ourselves here. we've had more questions than answers today by the models as far as the evolution of this time period. But to get into specifics of thermal profiles when we don't even know which shortwave is our threat, seems pointless.

Again, not saying you're wrong ( i think its a very valid concern), just think we're better off determining the evolution of this pattern. 1st,2nd or 3rd wave... i quite frankly, have no idea. LOL.

i agree, but im saying i don't want people to think we are primed for a big snowstorm when analogs like the boxing day storm are getting thrown out there. We pretty much need a couple things to go in our favor before we even start to think big snow event.

i agree, but im saying i don't want people to think we are primed for a big snowstorm when analogs like the boxing day storm are getting thrown out there. We pretty much need a couple things to go in our favor before we even start to think big snow event.

This. Not to mention that, prior to the 12/26/10 storm, all but two days that month (Dec. 1st and 12th) were AOB (at or below) normal. This December, not so much. Then again, it is early so we need to let it play out a bit.

Archived