SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

IWXwx

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compared to last year this winter has been better for some Worse for some And the same for some. Although I'm sure someone will find a way to argue with that too.

Its not even about the sensible weather...the pattern is NOTHING like last year. Ask any met. And whenever that was pointed out, ESPECIALLY when it was pointed out during November when our weather was the EXACT opposite of last November, everyone said so what no snow when its warm and wet or no snow when its cold and dry is the same. Well, now we have endured a period of snowy weather for MOST of the region which has surpassed anything we saw last winter, but it is melting from a thaw so we are right back to "this is just like last year".

Northern MN, SE WI, NE IL, and SW MI & far NW Upper MI have it WORSE so far this winter than they did last year. Everyone else has it BETTER, which includes the rest of MN, WI, and MI, as well as IA, IN, OH, & parts of IL.

Its not even about the sensible weather...the pattern is NOTHING like last year. Ask any met. And whenever that was pointed out, ESPECIALLY when it was pointed out during November when our weather was the EXACT opposite of last November, everyone said so what no snow when its warm and wet or no snow when its cold and dry is the same. Well, now we have endured a period of snowy weather for MOST of the region which has surpassed anything we saw last winter, but it is melting from a thaw so we are right back to "this is just like last year".

Northern MN, SE WI, NE IL, and SW MI & far NW Upper MI have it WORSE so far this winter than they did last year. Everyone else has it BETTER, which includes the rest of MN, WI, and MI, as well as IA, IN, OH, & parts of IL.

amen

Like stated by a few others. We have had like 7 (maybe a few more) legit wintery days out of 6 freaking weeks. December went down in a blaze of glory for most and this January is walking in the footsteps of its little bro. So far this winter sucks. The storm of the 26th was cool but wont save the memory bank of a 21day torch. IMO.

I thought we turned the corner with that Dec 27th storm but it seems like it was just an aberration from the general crud we've been sucking since this abortion winter began.

Pretty much, no matter how much it is spun about snow cover or that it has been cooler than normal, at the end of the day it has been pretty lousy and painfully boring.

so we are right back to "this is just like last year".

Going back through the past 5 pages, I can only find one post claiming that the pattern is similar to last year, and it was from someone who's posts should be disregarded anyways.

Yeah it isn't the same pattern, it's just another road taken to a bad outcome thus far.

+1

You couldn't have said it better. I think this is partially the case many others are trying to make. The December torch and now the January torch are making strides on destroying a positive perspective on the 1st half of winter.

Here is the season-to-date snowfall from all the first-order stations in the midwest compared to the same date last year. I may have gotten a few of the airport codes im not familiar with wrong

BLUE means snowfall is ahead of where they were last year this time, RED means they are behind last year at this time

41 of the 49 stations are running AHEAD of where they were last winter on this date.

Through Jan 9th

City – 2013 – 2012

MINNESOTA
DLH: 24.8” – 12.0”

INL: 27.9” – 21.9”

MSP: 16.8” – 10.3”

STC: 18.7” – 6.7”

ROC: 14.8” – 8.7”

WISCONSIN
GRB: 24.5” – 6.3”

MKE: 7.0” – 1.7”

MSN: 23.5” – 4.4”

LSE: 18.4” – 5.0”

WAU: 24.2” – 15.2”

RHI: 17.8” – 31.0”

MISSOURI

STL: 2.2” – 2.0”

COL: 3.7” – 1.3”

MCI: 3.7” – 0.1”

IOWA

DSM: 15.6” – 5.7”

WLO: 11.3” – 2.6”

DVN: 5.6” – 1.8”

DBQ: 19.2” – 2.6”

ILLINOIS
ORD: 1.3” – 1.9”

RFD: 2.1” – 1.7”

PIA: 3.3” – 0.6”

SPI: 4.6” – 0.1”

MLI: 5.5” – 1.4”

MICHIGAN
DTW: 11.6” – 6.7”

FNT: 12.1” – 8.8”

MBS: 10.6” – 12.6”

GRR: 9.4” – 9.8”

LAN: 5.2” – 12.3”

MKG: 8.7” – 5.3”

APN: 14.3” – 8.0”

HTL: 21.3” – 10.0”

SSM: 55.8” – 27.8”

MQT: 51.4” – 56.8”

INDIANA
FWA: 9.8” – 14.0”

SBN: 9.2” – 15.0”

IND: 15.3” – 3.2”

EVV: 10.7” – 0.1”

OHIO

CVG: 7.8” – 0.7”

DAY: 12.1” – 2.9”

CMH: 16.1” – 0.9”

CLE: 15.5” – 10.6”

TOL: 7.0” – 5.2”

MFD: 12.8” – 6.8”

AKR: 14.7” – 4.5”

YNG: 28.1” – 16.5”

KENTUCKY
PAH: 5.7” – 0.3”

LOU: 2.7” – T

LEX: 3.4” – T

JAC: 3.0” – 1.0”

Like stated by a few others. We have had like 7 (maybe a few more) legit wintery days out of 6 freaking weeks. December went down in a blaze of glory for most and this January is walking in the footsteps of its little bro. So far this winter sucks. The storm of the 26th was cool but wont save the memory bank of a 21day torch. IMO.

7 wintry days? Ummm Id say its been wintry almost every day but for a few for the past 3 weeks prior to todays springlike weather. And yes the first 20 days of Dec were a disaster.

Look, I am by NO means saying this has been a great winter, it hasnt. But we arent far off where we should be in the snow department. We are a bit behind in snowfall and actually a bit ahead in snowcover. Nothing out of the ordinary in the grand scheme. In fact Id say where we are is pretty typical and whatever direction we go the rest of winter will have the biggest say in what kind of winter 2012-13 was.

Where DTW should be thru January 9th & where they are.....

Snowfall: Avg: 14.9" Actual: 11.6"

Days with meas snow: Avg: 14 Actual: 11

Days with 1"+ snowfall: Avg: 5 Actual: 3

Days with 3"+ snowfall: Avg: 1 Actual: 1

Days with 1"+ snowcover: Avg: 15 Actual: 17

Days with 3"+ snowcover: Avg: 9 Actual: 14

Days with 5"+ snowcover: Avg: 5 Actual: 7

X2

We are winter weenies and we are bored. To help in solving that, I will hack into the GFS/Euro tonight and redo it over and over again until it developes a major storm next week. All that cold air and se ridge will not be shot to hell. I won't allow it.

(note: everything above is a jest)

Cruel.

Here is the season-to-date snowfall from all the first-order stations in the midwest compared to the same date last year. I may have gotten a few of the airport codes im not familiar with wrong

BLUE means snowfall is ahead of where they were last year this time, RED means they are behind last year at this time

41 of the 49 stations are running AHEAD of where they were last winter on this date.

Through Jan 9th

City – 2013 –

[

MICHIGAN

It is amazing to me that Muskegon pretty much has the lowest totals both years, while we average more snow than 7 of the other 9 cities on that list. Shows how much we rely on lake effect here.

Through Jan 9th

City – 2013 –

[

MICHIGAN

It is amazing to me that Muskegon pretty much has the lowest totals both years, while we average more snow than 7 of the other 9 cities on that list. Shows how much we rely on lake effect here.

So basically only LAN has had less snow then here ( my backyard ) so far this winter? ouch.. lol Yeah you are .2 ahead of me so quit your complaining!! :P Teasing you..

Need a EXACT ( exact same results IMBY anyways..lol )Jan 67 blizz duplicate!

So basically only LAN has had less snow then here ( my backyard ) so far this winter? ouch.. lol Yeah you are .2 ahead of me so quit your complaining!! :P Teasing you..

Need a EXACT ( exact same results IMBY anyways..lol )Jan 67 blizz duplicate!

ALL I have read on the forum today is others COMPLAINING but I don't make a big deal out of it. I know I vent and they have that right too. I just ask for the same back. :)

You will get your .2 inches..... Some day ...... Lol

Archived