• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1st Annual Weather on your Christmas lights

tombo82685

Very nice. How did you get the lights that high on the tree? Why did you stop doing lights?

Thanks, and here are my answers...

I'd like to say I own a 25 foot ladder, or a firetruck, or a cherry picker...but getting the lights up onto the tree involved multiple throws from the ground until I got the end of the light string to stick at a place that looked good to me...and then walking around the tree multiple times while working the lights lower and lower. It had to be done at night with the other end of the string of 600 to 800 lights plugged in so I could accurately see what it looked like in progress. And I decorated 4 trees this way. My wife told me i was completely crazy (she was right, too).

We stopped doing lights in 2007 because we started going on a post-holiday season Caribbean cruise/Florida trip every year in early January. We decided that having to prepare for the trip was enough work without spending the hours putting up lights (usually took me 4 to 5 nights of 4 to 5 hours each night) and then taking them down (about 6 to 7 hours total time).

Well, switched to all LED's last year including roughly 10 strings of icicle lights for the roof, but after getting new shingles and gutters this summer I didn't feel like potentially wrecking anything new therefore no roof lights this year. Probably will go back to them next year.

Thanks to a few suggestions here on roof clips, I decided to pick some up and take care of the icicle lights. They went on nice and easy. No snowpack anymore though :(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived