SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central/Western Summer Medium/Long Range Discussions

Srain

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the models continue to show the setup for next weekend.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX422 AM CDT TUE APR 2 2013

FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...A WARMING TREND FOR THE WEEKEND AS SOUTHERLYFLOW RETURNS. MAY HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON ANDEVENING. ALOFT...WE WILL HAVE WSW FLOW OF 30 TO 40 KNOTS. AT THESURFACE...A DRYLINE WILL BE LOCATED ALONG AN ABILENE TO SAN ANGELOLINE OR A LITTLE FURTHER WEST. WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE ANISOLATED STORM OR TWO DEVELOP ALONG THE DRYLINE...HOWEVER MIDLEVEL CAP WILL PROBABLY BE TO STRONG. WILL KEEP THE FORECAST DRYFOR NOW. AGAIN...VERY WARM THIS WEEKEND WITH HIGHS IN THE MID TOUPPER 80S WITH LOWS IN THE 50S TO LOWER 60S.MONDAY AND TUESDAY...CLASSIC SPRING PATTERN SETTING UP FOR APOSSIBLE SEVERE WX OUTBREAK ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS.THERE MAY EVEN BE TWO SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WX EVENTS. THE MAINFEATURES WILL BE AN AMPLIFIED UPPER LEVEL TROF TO THE WEST OVERTHE SOUTHERN ROCKIES AND A STRONG DRYLINE...WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE60S AHEAD OF IT. THE MEDIUM RANGE MODELS HAVE A PRETTY GOOD HANDLEON THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN...BUT THE SMALLER DETAILS STILL HAVE TOBE WORKED OUT. REGARDLESS...THE COMBINATION OF STRONG INSTABILITYAND 0-6KM SHEAR YIELDS SUPPERCELLS ANYWHERE FROM KANSAS TO TEXAS.FOR NOW WILL KEEP THE DRYLINE AND ISOLD TSTMS ACROSS THE EASTERNHALF OF WEST CENTRAL TEXAS FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY/CLOSER TO THEGFS SOLUTION/...ONLY GOING SLGT CHC POPS. IF THE ECMWF ISCORRECT...EVERYTHING SETS UP FURTHER WEST AND ALL OF WEST CENTRALTEXAS HAS A SHOT OF SEVERE WEATHER...POSSIBLY SIGNIFICANT. STAYTUNED.

In the glass 13/32nds full department, although the current storm is suffering from anemic moisture return, GFS depiction of the front with this storm shows no intrusion of dewpoints below 50ºF into the Gulf, and suggests moisture will be returning.  Bad news, no big trough looks like it could take advantage in the next 8 days...

^^. ECMWF and GFS depict another repeat performance complete with a strong anafront surging south through the plains and a neutral tilt (albeit not as deep) trough slowly ejecting into the plains. Another classic spring event  on tap. Winter doesn't want to end across the northern and central/high plains.

^^. ECMWF and GFS depict another repeat performance complete with a strong anafront surging south through the plains and a neutral tilt (albeit not as deep) trough slowly ejecting into the plains. Another classic spring event  on tap. Winter doesn't want to end across the northern and central/high plains.

Boy, the ECMWF has looked convincingly impressive for the severe weather aspect on Tuesday for OK/TX. Much more robust moisture return than progged at this range last time, and initiation indicated on several models near the triple point. Fool me once, shame on you, yadda yadda... but I'll be (not so) secretly keeping a close eye on this. Thought it was amusing to see SPC go "POTENTIAL TOO LOW" this morning despite decent model consensus. They won't get fooled again, but I probably will. ;)

Yep...and I notice you're having a nice winter in Alaska too. :)

Marquette, MI still has 33" of snow on the ground; the previous record depth for today's date was 28".  They have set a snow depth record every day since April 4...and this should continue for the next 7+ days, with 4-8" of snow expected tomorrow.  They are also getting close to the latest first 50+ degree reading of the season on record...I think that record may fall in 10 days or so.  Quite interesting, especially after the incredible warmth last March!

That 12z Euro was all kinds of nasty on Wednesday, I'll just leave it at that for now. :P

Sure is. I'd stopped bothering to check Wundermap past 144 because it hasn't worked for so long, but now it does.

While it looks quite impressive taken literally, the surge of arctic air makes me highly skeptical after what just happened on Tuesday.

That 12z Euro was all kinds of nasty on Wednesday, I'll just leave it at that for now. :P

Sure is. I'd stopped bothering to check Wundermap past 144 because it hasn't worked for so long, but now it does.

While it looks quite impressive taken literally, the surge of arctic air makes me highly skeptical after what just happened on Tuesday.

Agreed. The 12z ECMWF verbatim would be impressive along the dryline and ahead of the cold front, but another surging cold front makes one leery after what happened with this last event. 00z GFS is decidedly positive tilt with a strong frontal surge ahead of the upper trof.

Yep...and I notice you're having a nice winter in Alaska too. :)

Marquette, MI still has 33" of snow on the ground; the previous record depth for today's date was 28".  They have set a snow depth record every day since April 4...and this should continue for the next 7+ days, with 4-8" of snow expected tomorrow.  They are also getting close to the latest first 50+ degree reading of the season on record...I think that record may fall in 10 days or so.  Quite interesting, especially after the incredible warmth last March!

We have amazingly, after such an awful start to winter, managed to end the year well above average for snowfall...most of it coming in some impressive late season dumps. Quite honestly I am sick of snow and winter. A rare thing for me, but after an extended warm spring like period, all this snow and record cold has been less than pleasant.

D5 and 6 out from SPC:

S8b8SmP.gif

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK CORR 1   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0350 AM CDT FRI APR 12 2013      VALID 151200Z - 201200Z      CORRECTED FOR SEVERE THREAT DAYS 5 AND 6      ...DISCUSSION...   LOW LEVEL TRAJECTORIES WILL BECOME MORE FAVORABLE EARLY NEXT WEEK   FOR MOISTURE TO ADVANCE NWD ACROSS THE WRN GULF BASIN INTO THE SRN   PLAINS AS UPPER TROUGHING SETTLES OVER THE WRN U.S.  ONE SIGNIFICANT   LEAD SHORTWAVE TROUGH WILL FORCE A SFC FRONT INTO OK MONDAY AND DEEP   CONVECTION MAY DEVELOP.  HOWEVER...IN THE ABSENCE OF LARGE SCALE   FORCING THIS ACTIVITY SHOULD REMAIN ISOLATED.  OF POTENTIALLY MORE   SIGNIFICANCE WILL BE THE CONTINUED MOISTENING THAT SHOULD LEAD TO   MORE ROBUST ORGANIZED SEVERE TSTMS TUESDAY.  LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE   SUGGEST SCATTERED SEVERE STORMS SHOULD EVOLVE NEAR A DRYLINE/FRONTAL   INTERSECTION WITHIN BROAD STRONG SWLY FLOW ALOFT.  PROGRESSION OF   UPPER TROUGH INTO THE HIGH PLAINS WEDNESDAY SUPPORTS AN EWD SHIFT OF   STRONG/SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS DURING THE DAY5 PERIOD FROM PORTIONS OF   MO INTO NERN TX.      ..DARROW.. 04/12/2013

We have amazingly, after such an awful start to winter, managed to end the year well above average for snowfall...most of it coming in some impressive late season dumps. Quite honestly I am sick of snow and winter. A rare thing for me, but after an extended warm spring like period, all this snow and record cold has been less than pleasant.

I feel ya...after having 149.6 lst season in Cold Bay before transferring to Texas...I'm good on the snow biz for a bit.... :axe:

It'll be nice when the GFS decides to catch up to the euro again...so we can start looking at the event in more detail. The 18z GFS continues to be a "runaway train" with the cold frontal surge...having the front into my northwestern CWA and basically into the I-20 corridor by 18z Tuesday. Seeing that the euro has outperformed the GFS in several systems this year in the southern plains...will go with the euro for what to expect. The bad thing is the euro soundings have low resolution on AWIPS. Just another waiting game... :violin:

It'll be nice when the GFS decides to catch up to the euro again...so we can start looking at the event in more detail. The 18z GFS continues to be a "runaway train" with the cold frontal surge...having the front into my northwestern CWA and basically into the I-20 corridor by 18z Tuesday. Seeing that the euro has outperformed the GFS in several systems this year in the southern plains...will go with the euro for what to expect. The bad thing is the euro soundings have low resolution on AWIPS. Just another waiting game... :violin:

The ECMWF scares me in a different way, though, with its much slower progression. Tuesday is on the verge of cap busting due to a lack of forcing/height falls. If we don't get any warm sector storms Tuesday, I can totally see this playing out almost identically to Monday-Tuesday of this week. Day 1 cap bust, day 2 surging CF.

The ECMWF scares me in a different way, though, with its much slower progression. Tuesday is on the verge of cap busting due to a lack of forcing/height falls. If we don't get any warm sector storms Tuesday, I can totally see this playing out almost identically to Monday-Tuesday of this week. Day 1 cap bust, day 2 surging CF.

Until I see something to suggest otherwise, that is exactly what I think next week's event will do. I'm surprised SPC would go from "Potential too low" to a Day 5 and Day 6 designation in one outlook. I think they jumped the gun on this one IMO, especially with the underperformance of this week's event. 

Personally, I think that's what is going to happen.

Well...the 00z GFS trended towards the euro...but it's only one run. Even so...I couldn't resist...and loaded some soundings. Wichita Falls showed the same as Dyess AFB in Abilene...so I didn't post those. Forth Worth...and McAlster in southeastern Oklahoma did show similar values as the Tuesday soundings at Dyess...with more inhibition...around 200 j/kg. It shows potential for me...and a large part of Texas/SE Oklahoma both Tuesday and Wednesday...which is exactly why it won't happen.

post-767-0-54791200-1365835639_thumb.png

post-767-0-26849100-1365835652_thumb.png

post-767-0-11303300-1365835674_thumb.png

post-767-0-78041200-1365835701_thumb.png

So a year ago this weekend, the last (and only) widespread, synpotically-evident severe weather event of the season had already come and gone for the southern Plains. Unless next week's system works some magic, I'm hard-pressed to see anything terribly interesting before the end of the month, at the earliest.

I won't lie; I'm quite concerned about the possibility of continued unseasonable frontal intrusions going into May. At least a couple skilled seasonal forecasters have mentioned this and drawn comparisons to 2002, a wretched year for most of the Plains. At the same time, I've learned the hard way that forecasting a chase season (if that's what you're interested in) is nearly futile, even in mid-April. Many people were gravely concerned about 2004 and 2010 at this point, only for mid-May onward to propel them into "best of the decade" territory. Conversely, driving home on 4/14 last year, most of us thought we'd go into the "heart of the season" already sitting on a "bonus" outbreak day...

EDIT: Just saw a veteran TX-based chaser mention that as of tomorrow, this is the first time he's gone a full year without a tornado since 1996. Obviously there were some tornadoes to be had in mid-late season 2012 if you had the funds and time to roam, but that still says something.

Archived