• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central/Western Summer Medium/Long Range Discussions

Srain

I'm stoked to get this soaking rain mid week too. I don't even care that we'll be in the 40's.

Setting up antecedent BL moisture leading into the weekend and early next week.

12z Euro is stranding this thing in the SW and really amplifies the HP north of the border by 192.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Large, photogenic tornado ongoing in Caprock Canyons, as streamed by David Drummond. Nearest ob is 78/52. Also, I can't chase next week, so I'll try to refrain from commenting since it'll be tough to remain unbiased. Gonna be one of those months, I guess.

EDIT: screencap from FB

7664_10101352071060647_813222284_n.jpg

maybe the panhandle will become legit again this yr

Their downfall for the past couple years has consistently been high T/Td spreads whenever the dryline holds back that far, and today was no exception. I'm honestly stumped on this one -- very Campo-esque. Telling that SPC chose 10% tornado probs on their SVR watch, even though 20% is permissible without going to a TOR watch (and quite common for SVR, actually).

I've definitely seen cases where magic happens on the tongue of the instability axis like this, but typically it's more in the evening/overnight and with very low LCLs.

EDIT: I should've been using KLBB instead of KAMA. Now that I load the KLBB loop, it appears that after the three supercells were established in an east-west line, the middle one barfed out an extensive outflow boundary which the westernmost storm then encountered as it turned ESE. Mesoscale accident.

post-972-0-60262400-1364854745_thumb.gif

Their downfall for the past couple years has consistently been high T/Td spreads whenever the dryline holds back that far, and today was no exception. I'm honestly stumped on this one -- very Campo-esque. Telling that SPC chose 10% tornado probs on their SVR watch, even though 20% is permissible without going to a TOR watch (and quite common for SVR, actually).

I've definitely seen cases where magic happens on the tongue of the instability axis like this, but typically it's more in the evening/overnight and with very low LCLs.

attachicon.gifsbcp.gif

makes sense. t/td spread certainly high tho I see a boundary in the area too which probably helped spin it up at least. does that convergence also cause localized better spreads? you can certainly get away with more at 3,000+ feet. looks like a classic tall higher elevation tornado.. at least it gives the 'pro' chasers reason to say this year will overperform consistently. 

makes sense. t/td spread certainly high tho I see a boundary in the area too which probably helped spin it up at least. does that convergence also cause localized better spreads? you can certainly get away with more at 3,000+ feet. looks like a classic tall higher elevation tornado.. at least it gives the 'pro' chasers reason to say this year will overperform consistently. 

Agreed on the boundary... just edited my post but you beat me to it by half a minute. :P

Hey if you can do it more power to you. More often than not it doesn't work out if that's your philosophy prob but there are nice surprises.

Yeah, essentially when you start expecting that it becomes boring when it more often then not, doesn't happen.

While it's nice to see the models showing potential for next week, it's hard to really get excited given how terrible the models have been this season in handling troughs/waves this far out. As is right now though it's a solid multi-day period.

*Note: This is coming from someone biased because he won't be able to chase anything in the Mon-Thur timeframe.

00z Euro trending in a much more interesting direction on Monday in the Plains, with a substantially broader upper trough/closed low than previous runs and a 40-50 kt LLJ feeding northward through TX/OK/KS, in addition to a smaller scale shortwave rotating through the larger scale trough.

The trough still dives well south after that, though.

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK  NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK0330 AM CDT TUE APR 02 2013

...CNTRL/SRN PLAINS MON/D7...   DESPITE SHORT TERM DISCREPANCIES...MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT   DEVELOPING A WRN TROUGH...AND EJECTING A LEADING SHORTWAVE INTO THE   PLAINS ON MON/D7. THE GFS IS QUICKER TO BRING MID 60S F DEWPOINTS   INTO OK BY MON...SUGGESTING AN UNBROKEN FETCH FROM THE GULF...WHILE   THE ECMWF MIXES DEWPOINTS INTO THE UPPER 50S TO PERHAPS LOWER 60S.   REGARDLESS...IF THE SPEED OF THE TROUGH HOLDS TRUE...A DRYLINE   SUPERCELL EVENT WILL OCCUR WITH TORNADOES AND VERY LARGE HAIL.   TORNADO DAMAGE POTENTIAL WILL DEPEND HEAVILY ON BOUNDARY LAYER   MOISTURE MAGNITUDE AS STEEP MID TO UPPER LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND SHEAR   PROFILES WILL BOTH FAVOR SIGNIFICANT SEVERE. HOWEVER...GIVEN   MOISTURE QUALITY QUESTIONS...TIMING OF PRIMARY SHORTWAVE TROUGH AND   RELATIVELY SMALL THREAT AREA...NO AREA WILL BE OUTLINED AT THIS   TIME.      ...SRN PLAINS INTO LOWER MS VALLEY TUE/D8...   MODELS AGREE MOISTURE WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE WITH MID TO UPPER   60S F DEWPOINTS LIKELY AS FAR N AS ERN OK/AR BY TUE. WHILE SWLY FLOW   ALOFT WILL REMAIN...RESULTING IN FAVORABLE SHEAR FOR   SUPERCELLS...PREDICTABILITY DECREASES ESPECIALLY IN TERMS OF   POTENTIAL FORCING MECHANISMS. THE GFS SHOWS A FEATURE WHICH COULD   RESULT IN AN OUTBREAK OF SEVERE WEATHER ACROSS THE ARKLATEX   REGION...WHILE THE ECMWF INDICATES RISING HEIGHTS WITH THE MAIN   TROUGH DIGGING SWD OVER THE SWRN CONUS.

EDIT: I should've been using KLBB instead of KAMA. Now that I load the KLBB loop, it appears that after the three supercells were established in an east-west line, the middle one barfed out an extensive outflow boundary which the westernmost storm then encountered as it turned ESE. Mesoscale accident.

attachicon.gifsbcp.gif

When were you talking about SPC going a 10% tor on severe watch...in past events? Sounded like you meant yesterday (the 1st)...but they only went 2% tor risk for yesterday's event.

Archived