Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

Lol Scooter, just kidding but you and Ryan do like it

Hey I do think the euro is the better model, but it's plain silly to completely treat the GFS like it's another JMA as some are.

We get that model 4 times a day and the data from the GFS and output are exponentially more readily available as compared to the euro data, so people need to deal. If it wasn't for the 06z GFS, I wouldn't have shifted my BOS forecast towards the potential for a little snow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weatherfella, GFS & EURO continue to show a similar pattern. This far out as you know its not the details but the idea that matter...and the idea is a 1040mb high parked in SE Canada with a shortwave off the E.C. Interesting how a "warm pattern" could create a diamond from all that heat. Like you said good sign for winter.

Incorrect. It has a strung out area of LP and develops a low center along the NC coast near HAT. It doesn't move a low from BDA to NC.

On the loop I am looking at, it sure looks like it.

HR 204 low near Bermuda

HR 210 strung out low pressures NC to Bermuda

HR 216 low between NC and Bermuda

HR 222 offshore NC

HR 228 on NC coast.

On the loop I am looking at, it sure looks like it.

HR 204 low near Bermuda

HR 210 strung out low pressures NC to Bermuda

HR 216 low between NC and Bermuda

HR 222 offshore NC

HR 228 on NC coast.

Well it's a matter of semantics. 204 has 1008 lowest pressure near BDA but that 1008 spreads out into the 210 as you describe. The strung out nature starts to coaslesce pretty close to the coast in the later panels which is why I felt your original description is misleading. It's a broad area of LP that ultimately results in a deepening low as a closed H5 contour moves into the SE area. So the causation is plausible presuming it happens as described.

Hey I do think the euro is the better model, but it's plain silly to completely treat the GFS like it's another JMA as some are.

We get that model 4 times a day and the data from the GFS and output are exponentially more readily available as compared to the euro data, so people need to deal. If it wasn't for the 06z GFS, I wouldn't have shifted my BOS forecast towards the potential for a little snow.

Kevin just put a hole in the ceiling.

weatherfella, GFS & EURO continue to show a similar pattern. This far out as you know its not the details but the idea that matter...and the idea is a 1040mb high parked in SE Canada with a shortwave off the E.C. Interesting how a "warm pattern" could create a diamond from all that heat. Like you said good sign for winter.

That's not an arctic high, however...that high pressure is due to confluent flow/ridging over SE Canada.

Well it's a matter of semantics. 204 has 1008 lowest pressure near BDA but that 1008 spreads out into the 210 as you describe. The strung out nature starts to coaslesce pretty close to the coast in the later panels which is why I felt your original description is misleading. It's a broad area of LP that ultimately results in a deepening low as a closed H5 contour moves into the SE area. So the causation is plausible presuming it happens as described.

Seems like that is the pattern we are in. Getting these lows backing in. Once we get some deep cold air in here, I wouldn't mind a low cutting off near me.

An addition to Hbergs question, what winter did we have good snows with a positive AO, I thought Will mentioned it before but I dont remember.

1992-1993 had a raging +AO and was a blockbuster winter for New England (except the far southern parts). 2007-2008 was also a big snow winter for about 2/3rds of NE...CT/RI not so much...big +AO that winter. You probably have to go back to 1975-1976 for a solid snow winter in our area with a big +AO before that.

Will, what do you make of the pattern at the end of the Euro?

Looks to me as if a -AO is developing with a +PNA, but the Atlantic is still miserable.

Yeah its not an ideal pattern...but it would make it colder for us beyond that range. There's a rapidly building scandanavian block toward the pole which is trying to push the Baffin Island vortex southeast.

Its the OP Euro though...the ensembles are more what I would look at beyond D7. They have a more modified versuon of that pattern. Mostly for New England its a seasonable pattern tempwise with a pesky high influencing us from the north and eventually onshore flow with that storm system offshore.

Yeah its not an ideal pattern...but it would make it colder for us beyond that range. There's a rapidly building scandanavian block toward the pole which is trying to push the Baffin Island vortex southeast.

Its the OP Euro though...the ensembles are more what I would look at beyond D7. They have a more modified versuon of that pattern. Mostly for New England its a seasonable pattern tempwise with a pesky high influencing us from the north and eventually onshore flow with that storm system offshore.

Yeah the pattern has more of a Ginxy high tide/sandbag appeal than feet and feet of snow lol.

Talk about blocky and amplifed though.

Archived