• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Banter/Complaint Thread

Jmister

I can no longer hold it back anymore...I'm pissed at the weather.

Until I was 18 I lived in an immediate Philly suburb and since I was 12 years old I would watch the interesting winter storms deliver well to my west. When I knew I would become a Penn Stater in 2007 I thought "Yes! Now I will watch my home town get rain and finally cash in!" Yet that b*tch mother nature had other plans...

Flash forward to winter 2009-10. The most amazing winter ever recorded in the major metropolitan areas with 3 top 5 storms in Philly. Ouch. Back here, I just watched with envy thinking "soon enough it'll be our time!" That winter crushed me.

I have been here now for 5 winters, entering my 6th. State College has just about the same amount of cumulative snowfall as Philadelphia over that time. Wow.

And now, to put it over the top, they are getting a significant snowfall in early November! A feat only accomplished twice in the last 25 years (according to the Philly thread). We are left with clouds wishing to see a flake or two. This all coming after the excitement with Sandy, but I won't go into that because I would not wish that upon anyone.

I'm just hoping sometime in the next few winters we get that textbook coastal runner that I always would watch from rainy Philadelphia so that I can feel a little reimbursed. I expected better from the interior!

Sorry for that...I just had to vent. Feel free to share your own disappointment or other complaints!

Philly annual snowfall:

post-1406-0-00542300-1352303322_thumb.gi

State College annual snowfall:

post-1406-0-63862200-1352303330_thumb.jp

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dude I agree with you 100% I hate Central pa. I get screwed on severe events, coastals, and canes all the time. I wish I was in SE PA. I mean the difference from my house to York is ridiculous. They seem to get a tornado per year and plenty of damaging wind events and get like 5-10" more snow per storm. Sandy did hardly anything here but some rain, this storm is doing jack, last winter sucked. I am at the edge. I want to just take the weather out back behind the wood shed and beat it to death. Screw Weather!!!! Vent over.

Eh, it's all perspective. Sure it sucks when we get left behind year after year but it will, at some point, swing around. Sure we might all be dead but then the same argument will be made the other way.

That said, I can't get worked up on missing a slushy mess in November when the weekend looks to be an awesome sunny and 60.

This fall was probably a wrong time to move out of NE NJ... Last winter other than the October snowstorm was awful when I was in NE NJ while Albany got several snowstorms. Now there's nothing but clouds in Albany while it's snowing heavily in NE NJ. I'll probably make up for it with winter totals but it's still disappointing to miss out on yet another snowstorm considering I haven't seen more than flurries since January.

2009-10: PHL nailed, NYC nailed, NEPA fringed to death.

2010-11: PHL somewhat nailed, NYC nailed, NEPA fringed to death.

2011-12: TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORCH

2012-13: NYC nailed, C PA fringed to death.

Look out, I'mma start throwin' some tables.

And yet some are calling you (and possibly me) a whiny b**ch...

FWIW, in both those winters (09-10 and 10-11) I literally watched walls of snow approach the area on radar, only to fall apart on the doorstep. If it was frustrating for a non-snow, non-winter lover like myself, I can't imagine what it was like for those like you who do like snow.

And yet some are calling you (and possibly me) a whiny b**ch...

FWIW, in both those winters (09-10 and 10-11) I literally watched walls of snow approach the area on radar, only to fall apart on the doorstep. If it was frustrating for a non-snow, non-winter lover like myself, I can't imagine what it was like for those like you who do like snow.

Lets just say I want to fall off a cliff. I live by snow. I only only running on back up generators from 09-10 right now.

Lake effect snow warning right now for Pyramid Lake east of Reno NV, before any significant lake effect snow has fallen around the eastern Great Lakes.

Hopefully we'll get some decent lake effect events this winter, especially after getting only 40% of our average snowfall last year.

Haha that's Awesome. I don't really care what comes this winter, what comes is what comes. I have no control over here, so why worry about it. Would be nice to have a few decent Lake Effect storms though.

• 4 weeks later...

I never thought I would be posting in here but here I am with my bottle of JD in hand.

First they were saying "here comes the cold right after Thanksgiving". Then "here comes the cold first week in December." Then it I heard "here comes the cold and get out the snow shovels for December". "Much of the country is going to have a white Christmas". Next it will be after the 1st of the year.

Bla...bla...bla...

Okay. Now I feel better.

BTW I went running today in shorts and a t-shirt. Oh what a winter this has been.

Oswego's average for December is 34". We probably won't be getting close to that, although it only takes one good event.

BUF hasnt had any measureable snow this month so far and its not looking good at all over the next week thats for sure. Wonder if they will land up with more than 2 or 3" for December when average is 25".

Clearfield, Pa ... :weep::P

Too far east for good LE snows - Too far west for Coastal storms.

For me i just need to get lucky...but its all good and eventually it all comes around..

Your area is due for a good overrunning event.

Now I know perception and actual reality get skewed over the years, but I remember alot more OV storm tracks back in the 90's.

Even during the leaner late 80's - early 1992 period, there seemed to be a couple of decent overrunning events every year.

Especially north and east of Pgh.

Your area is due for a good overrunning event.

Now I know perception and actual reality get skewed over the years, but I remember alot more OV storm tracks back in the 90's.

Even during the leaner late 80's - early 1992 period, there seemed to be a couple of decent overrunning events every year.

Especially north and east of Pgh.

No, you're right. Read a report recently that pointed out that the 'skiing boom' of the 50's- 80's was at least partially driven by anomalous snowfalls. Those of us who developed our expectatations during those years will always be a bit skewed...

Totally unrelated to climate, but (add your opinion here) it probably won't be back soon either way.

Clearfield, Pa ... :weep::P

Too far east for good LE snows - Too far west for Coastal storms.

For me i just need to get lucky...but its all good and eventually it all comes around..

This here, folks, is the answer to your (lack of) winter misery. You all need to get lucky on a regular basis. That way, you won't be thinking so much about snow...

• 3 weeks later...

Bump to give an F U to the dry slot from hell which turned our potential 6-10" event into a barely 3" event.

Or in my case...

Bump to give an F U to the dry slot from hell which turned our potential 4-8" event into a barely 2" event.

Still, we both got shafted on this one PSU.

Archived