Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.25" at 1550ft base of Mansfield. Snowing heavily at times over last hour. State trucks out with 1" road accum above 1300ft.

Grauple has changed to very efficient accumulating dendrites. That 1.25" fell in mostly about 90 minutes once dendrites started falling.

Sweet! Make the most of it...doesn't look like we will see much, if any, synoptic snowfall over the next week :(

Hiked Mt Hight, South Carter and Middle Carter this morning. Temp at the trailhead at 6:15 was 38F. At the summit of Mt Hight (elevation 4675') the conditions were 22F with light winds - highest gust I measured was 9mph. Snowline was around 3300', and there was about a quarter-inch coating the trail and trees. A few ambience snowflakes falling as well. Can't wait for real snowfall on the trails again - sounds like I was 12-18 hours too early.

post-254-0-84330100-1353784301_thumb.jpg

Whenever those 30dbz on the composite radar move just east of Mansfield (see radar I posted above), we get some very heavy snow in town....

I'm home at 750ft, 4 miles from the mountain, and it is just crushing snow right now.

Hell yeah bro! Sweeeet! Even in town you still have somewhat of an upslope component being on the east side of the greens. Good stuff! That D-2" should work out perfectly ;)

Hell yeah bro! Sweeeet! Even in town you still have somewhat of an upslope component being on the east side of the greens. Good stuff! That D-2" should work out perfectly wink.png

Yeah I'll say... I'm now at about an even inch, haha. Right between D-2".

Town is like just close enough to the mountain to get that spill over, plus there's the 3,000-3,600ft Worcester ridgeline on the east side of town, so the air just has to go back up and over that... I think that limits the downslope component here to the east locally.

Ahhh the white lawn with the tips of grass blades sticking out, haha.

When I left the base of the mountain there was 2".... it was windshield wiper deep wink.png

State plows were out on RT 108 heading back to town with roadways taking some accumulations.

Always fun to see those first heavy upslope squalls of the season.

Even at 900ft getting closer to town the grass was covered... tapering to blades poking through here at 750ft.

Continues to snow here on RT 108 in Stowe Village... grass blades are slowly disappearing. Wondering if we can pull 2-3" down in town if it keeps doing this through tonight.

You can see the band of snow showers that continues to form over the mountain and roll down RT 108. So nice to watch the flakes flying in the spotlight.

From Jay Peak's facebook page... the northern Greens are working their magic.

205443_10151275853184441_68536067_n.jpg

And the persistent light snow continues...like 1-2sm visibility stuff. These radar presentations never get old to me.. sorry guys ;)

Its a bummer that some of the better moisture is slowly moving away, because at nighttime the upslope tends to develop really nicely into a more steady band, as opposed to daytime when its often more cellular and squally in nature. At night it usually gets more organized and can really go to town... since the sun went down that's already happening but moisture is leaving the area so its slowly weakening. But you can see how its not as cellular as it was this afternoon when you'd go from 1/4sm +SN to 7sm --SN then back to 1/2sm SN... now its organized into a more steady 1-3sm -SN.

The BTV WRF has done a decent job of showing the placement of the upslope. Some events favor the west slope of the Spine, others favor the east slope of the Spine. This event is definitely favoring the east slope of the Spine and the BTV WRF had been showing that for the last day or two.

This is from 00z-06z and you can clearly see the model is showing the precipitation to be on the spine crest and eastward into VT, rather than focusing on the western slopes. I still am not exactly sure why some favor the east slope and others favor the west slope, but its one of those interesting parts of upslope that I really want to nail down. Anyway looks like the model has a good grasp on the situation.

I don't really like to use the lower elevation scans of the radar, because the beam gets blocked by terrain in spots...but it really shows how the snow is falling from the Spine eastward, vs. on the west side of the spine.

Archived