SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong inversions lately... here's a photo from yesterday when it was in the mid 30s up here on the mountain, but MVL down there in the valley bottom (along with Stowe Village) at 730ft was in the low 20s. It was 15 degrees warmer where I was standing verses down under the inversion where the smoke was trapped. Light south winds were blowing the smoke north up the valley.

15196_10101437731022370_1698787841_n.jpg

is there any icing near shaded ponds in the area (if you've look'd)

that much time below freezing would make it doable if a body of water was heavily shaded (i would think)

Small ponds are skimmed over around here as are the marshy setbacks along the Connecticut RIver. It's coming.

More heavy frost this morning...not much else of interest during these quiet days. And, as quiet as it's been, it's been a very nice stretch for tiding up 'before winter chores'.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Good temperature spread this morning between here on the east side of the Spine and the western slope....

BTV is currently 47F while I've got 24F at my house and MVL is 23F.

Check out some of these obs along the west slope that are in the mid/upper 40s, while from here to points east into NH/ME are all in the 20s.

Also, huge inversion with 23-24F at elevations below 1,000ft, but by 1,500ft the temperatures are in the 40s.

You can see this down in Moretown south of Waterbury on RT 100 (black circle) where there are low 20s right next to mid/upper 40s. The low 20s are down at 700-800ft...while the 40s are up above 1,300ft.

Only 500ft of elevation is like a 25F difference....

This is the first time I've seen the new BTV WRF with the google maps topography... this is awesome! We need more models like this... kudos to BTV for setting this up.

This thing is going nuts with the upslope this weekend in this neck of the woods.

And then you can zoom in to really get a good look at it... nice pocket of 0.5-0.75" over the ski resort on the east side of Mansfield. Tapering to 0.25" along the RT 100 corridor in the center of town. Most of the Mountain Road here in Stowe is in the 0.25-0.5" range.

You can also see J.Spin's magical stretch of I-89/RT2 there in the Winooski Valley under the Spine.

This extended stretch of clear weather has been pleasant, but indeed our point forecast is finally starting to look like something I’d expect to see for the Northern Greens as we approach December:

23NOV12A.jpg

Temperatures look somewhat marginal in the valleys, but the forecast has the mountains well below freezing right through the end of the month. Although the wet bulb temperatures may not be quite as fantastic for snowmaking going forward, hopefully Mother Nature will be able to make up for it with shots of real snow.

One can see from the discussion that BTV knows people are ready:

IF YOU BELIEVE THE EURO RUN IN THE LITERAL...ON AND OFF SHSN ACTIVITY IN THE LAKE BELTS AND NRN MTNS ASSOCIATED WITH WEAK NRN STREAM IMPULSES COULD LAY DOWN SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS EACH DAY WHICH WOULD BE WELCOME FOR MANY.

This is the first time I've seen the new BTV WRF with the google maps topography... this is awesome! We need more models like this... kudos to BTV for setting this up.

This thing is going nuts with the upslope this weekend in this neck of the woods.

And then you can zoom in to really get a good look at it... nice pocket of 0.5-0.75" over the ski resort on the east side of Mansfield. Tapering to 0.25" along the RT 100 corridor in the center of town. Most of the Mountain Road here in Stowe is in the 0.25-0.5" range.

You can also see J.Spin's magical stretch of I-89/RT2 there in the Winooski Valley under the Spine.

Excellent PF, thanks for the introduction to the new BTV maps; it should be fun watching how things come together, but it sure looks like there’s some additional whitening in Stowe’s future.

18z hi res NAM accumulated precip by 1am Monday morning courtesy of SV.

It certainly has the tendency to over do upslope QPF, but usually has a decent idea of where there will and will not be appreciable precip. Note that the cutoffs in QPF aren't as sharp across the CT river valley..shows almost 0.25" at LSC, where as last upslope event it was very defined in saying little to no precip at the valley floors.

We should have decent cross barrier flow and appreciable lower level RH, so the usual suspects should do well, and I would not be shocked if the lower elevations squeeze out D-2" or something like that. Granted, in these setups the BTV WRF kicks azz compared to other hi-res output because the model microphysics are geared to handle the terrain of the region.

post-1818-0-52428400-1353709886_thumb.pn

CTsnowstorm... I agree with you, but likewise the BTV WRF seems to often over-do things in quite a few events. But even like half of the QPF of these meso-models would still be appreciable snowfall. I think a lot of northern VT outside the immediate Champlain Valley has a shot at a D-2"... at least a whitening of the ground is possible, even in the interior mountain valleys.

18z hi res NAM accumulated precip by 1am Monday morning courtesy of SV.

It certainly has the tendency to over do upslope QPF, but usually has a decent idea of where there will and will not be appreciable precip. Note that the cutoffs in QPF aren't as sharp across the CT river valley..shows almost 0.25" at LSC, where as last upslope event it was very defined in saying little to no precip at the valley floors.

We should have decent cross barrier flow and appreciable lower level RH, so the usual suspects should do well, and I would not be shocked if the lower elevations squeeze out D-2" or something like that. Granted, in these setups the BTV WRF kicks azz compared to other hi-res output because the model microphysics are geared to handle the terrain of the region.

The two inches of QPF for the Tug Hill would be pretty awesome. For some reason though, it looks there's less precip accumulation on the PSU ewall site with the 18z hires nam. Are those from the same model?

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_18z/ptot60.gif

CTsnowstorm... I agree with you, but likewise the BTV WRF seems to often over-do things in quite a few events. But even like half of the QPF of these meso-models would still be appreciable snowfall. I think a lot of northern VT outside the immediate Champlain Valley has a shot at a D-2"... at least a whitening of the ground is possible, even in the interior mountain valleys.

Yeah, I mean I can see mansfield and jay seeing maybe 4-8" while lower elevations see D-2", probably closer to the dusting.

The two inches of QPF for the Tug Hill would be pretty awesome. For some reason though, it looks there's less precip accumulation on the PSU ewall site with the 18z hires nam. Are those from the same model?

http://www.meteo.psu..._18z/ptot60.gif

I'm honestly not sure. But its all initialized with the same hi-res (4km) NAM data. Maybe the respective models use different microphysics schemes? Also, the SV graphics are smoothed...maybe that helps with resolving microscale issues somewhat?

But, I'd definitely obviously side with lower QPF values with this setup, as you probably know lol

MADE ONLY COSMETIC CHANGES TO THE UPDATE PACKAGE FOR THE FINAL

ISSUANCE. BOTH THE 12Z/23 GFS AND GEM GLOBAL HAVE DRAMATICALLY

CHANGED THEIR TUNE WITH THE HANDLING OF THE WAVE CROSSING THE

MIDWEST AND EAST DAYS 3 AND 4, NO LONGER SENDING A DEEP LOW

NORTHEASTWARD INTO NEW YORK STATE. BOTH OF THOSE MODELS SQUASH THE

DEVELOPMENT, WITH A MUCH SHARPER LIMITING STREAMLINE TO THE NORTH.

THE ECMWF CONTINUES TO BE OFF TO THE RACES AND FLAT WITH THIS

SYSTEM, WITH A DRY OVERALL FORECAST. THE GFS HAS TRENDED TOWARD

THE EUROPEAN CENTRE GUIDANCE WITH THE ENERGY IMPINGING ON THE WEST

COAST AS WELL, WITH A CONTINUED PREFERENCE TOWARD THE STEADY EC

THERE.

Not very encouraging if your looking for snow out of this next system

Winter's back.

35F with flurries (no accum) at 750ft in town...and its 32F and light snow (0.2") at 1,500ft. Even some spotty pavement accumulations up here but mostly mulch/grass/vehicles are turning white.

Nice little upslope event to freshen things up. Not as bullish as the BTV WRF, but our in house WRF is painting a good third to half inch in the Whites, with up to 0.80" in the highest elevations. I would imagine the Greens would be similar, were they in our domain on GFE.

I like this line from ALB...the woodland critters are getting bombed right now with 1"/hr snows.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW IN HAMILTON AND HERKIMER COUNTIES...

AT 802 AM EST...TWO DISTINCT BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WERE

DETECTED BY RADAR. ONE BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WAS IMPACTING THE

POLAND AND NEWPORT AREAS OF SOUTHERN HERKIMER COUNTY. ANOTHER BAND

WAS IMPACTING RELATIVELY UNPOPULATED FOREST PRESERVE AREA OF THE

WESTERN ADIRONDACKS TO THE SOUTH OF OLD FORGE.

Archived