joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattern is looking more gradient early on which should provide some wintery chances for a lot of folks up this way

I'm still a bit nervous because it has been so dry. All this sun in November is messing with me. I will say though that the snow that we have gotten has been overperforming, though not by much. Forecast calls for flurries and we get half an inch or so for example. I do like the temps though.

Obvioulsy it's been pretty quiet lately but there are signs: our gound is frozen at home and in the shady spots, the surface frost has hung on all day and is actually accumulating a little bit.

Taken at 1:15 yesterday afternoon and showing several nights worth of frost:

8199191713_dc9ef1864e.jpg

Speaking of frost, we've had some spectacular morning displays recently.

This morning at the house, far above the CT River valley fog:

8200283950_be41028db6_z.jpg

And then I found some terrific hoarfrost down along the foggy shores of Lake Fairlee:

8199192621_2a6d43cb69_z.jpg

8199193057_8db5781ef6_z.jpg

And along the old lake bottom terraces just above the Connecticut River:

8200284890_7bf6c7cf20_c.jpg

I'm still a bit nervous because it has been so dry. All this sun in November is messing with me. I will say though that the snow that we have gotten has been overperforming, though not by much. Forecast calls for flurries and we get half an inch or so for example. I do like the temps though.

Well, As you know, Being dry right now is not a bad thing, The last thing we need is the woods and bogs being over saturated as freezing the ground process before the snow flies as far as snowmobiling goes always becomes problematic

Low of 12 yest, coolest yet for Nov, unless this morning got below that - it was close, but I didn't check the max-min yet. BML touched singles, low of 9. Month so far is running about -2.5. Thurs-Fri forecast shows temps about +5 here (my 14-yr avg for those days is 41/23) but the cooldown after that should make Nov 2012 coolest since 2007, when Nov averaged 30.6, Avg Nov here is 34.4.

Still only 0.8" precip. Unless something next week grows up bigtime, looks like a lock for my driest Nov here; only has to beat 2.37".

Obvioulsy it's been pretty quiet lately but there are signs: our gound is frozen at home and in the shady spots, the surface frost has hung on all day and is actually accumulating a little bit.

Taken at 1:15 yesterday afternoon and showing several nights worth of frost:

8199191713_dc9ef1864e.jpg

Awesome photos!

Speaking of frost... this was taken at 760ft or so in Stowe Village at the Gables Inn (Chris M can verify if he wants, he's staying like the next property over, haha).

3:15pm and the side yard is still frozen white with frost. I've noticed the north facing aspects that are shaded have not lost their frost for multiple days due to the low sun angle. So we'll start the night again with frost already on the ground in spots, lol.

Awesome photos!

Speaking of frost... this was taken at 760ft or so in Stowe Village at the Gables Inn (Chris M can verify if he wants, he's staying like the next property over, haha).

3:15pm and the side yard is still frozen white with frost. I've noticed the north facing aspects that are shaded have not lost their frost for multiple days due to the low sun angle. So we'll start the night again with frost already on the ground in spots, lol.

It has been that way here, North facing areas stay frost thru out the day

Nice inversion .. 13F at IZG, 32F on MWN.

Yeah same up here... I had 16F at home (730ft) when I left at 4:45am and arrived at the mountain to find 23F (1,500ft) and 26F (3,600ft).

I just can't believe how cold it keeps getting at night... another night of mid teens last night with 16F for a low, like 10F below normal.

I'm getting a bit excited for a light to moderate upslope event (maybe in the 3-6 inch range for the usual suspects?) this weekend... GFS has been banging that drum for a few runs now.

00z last night...

post-352-0-11503800-1353357463.gif

06z run...

post-352-0-13493100-1353357460.gif

12z run today...

post-352-0-53136200-1353357454.gif

These are just snap shots of each run, but the overall synoptics are good with a low in the maritimes and a strong push of CAA (good pressure gradient in there, too) with H85 temps dropping down to -10C or lower. As "adk" knows, when that -10C H85 line makes its approach and then passes, for whatever reason the upslope likes to be cranked out with very efficient accumulating flakes.

It might be something that starts with squally, almost graupel-like stuff, and then transitions to a more classic fluff as precipitation rates wane a bit and CAA really moves in. I could definite envision the mountains seeing accumulation, with the adjacent mountain valleys at least whitening the ground.

I like where I sit for the 11/28-29 event. At the very least it should be better then my hometown.

(Although I said that for the 11/7 event and we all know how that turned out.)

Haha the worst thing about going off to college is worrying that your hometown may see more snow than you, even if your new location averages more.

I have a feeling you'll be comparing Plymouth to Worcester quite a bit this winter ;)

An interesting tidbit from the Mount Washington Observatory ...

"Up here on the summit, what many would consider normal weather is unusual for us. We've been in the clear with calm winds for much of the last 5 days. Extended clearing on the summit in November hasn't happened in the recent memory of many of the observers, so I decided to look into our weather archives to see how often clear spells like this occur on the summit.

As it turns out, the last span of five clear days in November happened in 2006, and before that in 1976. We have, in fact, never had a span longer than 5.75 completely clear days in November on the summit."

Pattern going forward is going to get interesting up here over the next few weeks..........Snowman.gif

My guess is we have some sort of threat the week I get back up there (week of 11/26). Cold air may be an issue but we should get the storm track up here if we can keep the NAO from going too negative.

The NAO is progged to go 2 SD below normal near 12/1. Could be something maybe in the 11/28-11/30 range as it transitions to very negative and maybe something else between 12/5-12/10 as it goes back towards neutral.

So it would seem, and none too soon. Today makes 7 in a row with low in teens and high near 40. November isn't supposed to be this way, and the data from MWN just reinforces the oddity.

is there any icing near shaded ponds in the area (if you've look'd)

that much time below freezing would make it doable if a body of water was heavily shaded (i would think)

So it would seem, and none too soon. Today makes 7 in a row with low in teens and high near 40. November isn't supposed to be this way, and the data from MWN just reinforces the oddity.

that much time below freezing would make it doable if a body of water was heavily shaded (i would think)

We have some smaller ponds here that have skimmed over as we have had basically the same temp regime as Tam has

Small (acre or less) ponds have skimmed and remained covered even in full sun. Lows have been 12, 11, about 14 these past 3 days, and 40F with low sun angle doesn't melt much ice. Probably 1" thick or so on the smaller ponds, just a tiny bit of edge skim on larger ones like the Belgrade Lakes. Upper 40s Thurs-Fri will probably be enough to clear it off even the little ponds, except those with south-side evergreens.

Archived