Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Indicative of cold aloft and melting on the way to the surface along with limited moisture in the cloud. Just discussed these cold cloud processes in my physical meteorology class :)

Awesome...yeah I don't know what causes the exact type, but these round dippin dot particles always seem to fall in these set-ups until better moisture or lift moves in.

It's something we see a lot early and late in the season too, but it's smaller than grauple.

Yup. Indicative of cold aloft and melting on the way to the surface along with limited moisture in the cloud. Just discussed these cold cloud processes in my physical meteorology class :)

Awesome...yeah I don't know what causes the exact type, but these round dippin dot particles always seem to fall in these set-ups until better moisture or lift moves in.

It's something we see a lot early and late in the season too, but it's smaller than grauple.

Damn it! Know you've gone and made me learn something! :lol:

Something has changed as we now are getting good snow growth flurries from the mountain down to town. The little round balls have now changed to classic 6-arm dendrites. The type that falls sideways, up and down...just sort of hanging their in the air. Instead of pooling at the bottom of your windshield, these things actually stay where they land, lol.

Of course its still 34F and visibility is still like 7-10 miles, so we aren't about to accumulate anytime soon below 1,000ft here.

Looks like moisture is increasing a bit across the N.CPV so we'll have to see how things progress.

Overall I've sort of got the feeling nothing beyond flurries will happen outside of the immediate Spine slopes (but BTV's grids showed this, too)... just a feeling. I think its the way the clouds look with such a stark line between cloud bases and below. But as I say that the sky is getting more of that light gray snow look... so I guess we'll see what happens over the next 6 hours or so.

Yay Graupel!

Is that what it is? They are really small...I always thought of grauple as larger but I guess it makes sense. Rimed particles.

This stuff is always so hard to figure out when it goes from a trace to measurable.

Anyway it's back to flakes but tiny like they are half evaporated. This stuff isnt going to be reducing visibilities haha.

Good burst oving through with 30-35dbz showing up on composite radar. Always nice to see that 30dbz+ pixels start to show up.

Got a tenth or two at 900ft (4000 Mountain Road) and for you AOT guys, it's really slick out there.

Most surfaces have a thin layer of ice where leftover water and melting flurries this afternoon have frozen up quickly since the sun went behind the ridge.

Flurries now in Plymouth! Down to 36.3F from 49F at 11:10.

Had some flurries here too. Topsy turvy temperature day.

We mixed out with the cold front early this morning, hit our high temp before sunrise, dropped or remained steady most of the day, and now we're down to 35F with the ----SN.

Something has changed as we now are getting good snow growth flurries from the mountain down to town. The little round balls have now changed to classic 6-arm dendrites. The type that falls sideways, up and down...just sort of hanging their in the air. Instead of pooling at the bottom of your windshield, these things actually stay where they land, lol.

Of course its still 34F and visibility is still like 7-10 miles, so we aren't about to accumulate anytime soon below 1,000ft here.

Looks like moisture is increasing a bit across the N.CPV so we'll have to see how things progress.

Overall I've sort of got the feeling nothing beyond flurries will happen outside of the immediate Spine slopes (but BTV's grids showed this, too)... just a feeling. I think its the way the clouds look with such a stark line between cloud bases and below. But as I say that the sky is getting more of that light gray snow look... so I guess we'll see what happens over the next 6 hours or so.

All the sudden it's pouring those little white balls again and most surfaces are turning white.

Is that what it is? They are really small...I always thought of grauple as larger but I guess it makes sense. Rimed particles.

This stuff is always so hard to figure out when it goes from a trace to measurable.

Anyway it's back to flakes but tiny like they are half evaporated. This stuff isnt going to be reducing visibilities haha.

Good burst oving through with 30-35dbz showing up on composite radar. Always nice to see that 30dbz+ pixels start to show up.

Got a tenth or two at 900ft (4000 Mountain Road) and for you AOT guys, it's really slick out there.

Most surfaces have a thin layer of ice where leftover water and melting flurries this afternoon have frozen up quickly since the sun went behind the ridge.

MVL went down to 3/4sm light snow with that little burst.

:weenie:

I enjoy each and every snow event...it's why I live here. Just wish we had more posters that lived within like 5-10 miles of the spine haha.

Weenie me all you want...we've all seen the pages and pages of posts for SNE dustings, too (like that flurry activity last weekend) ;)

Been doing lots of wall sits lately to get my legs back.

Been doing lots of wall sits lately to get my legs back.

Yeah man the hardest part is just building those leg muscles up again to make sure you don't re-injure yourself on the slopes. If you don't get the muscles up, you'll be compensating some other way and open to more injury.

A few seasons back when dislocated my knee, I couldn't believe how week my legs became from inactivity for 6 weeks.

You gotta get up here later this winter when there's a good snowpack and all terrain is fair game...then we can do some exploring.

Stopped snowing and it's just windy. Looks like one or two tenths will do it in town. A dusting to most people haha.

Yeah man the hardest part is just building those leg muscles up again to make sure you don't re-injure yourself on the slopes. If you don't get the muscles up, you'll be compensating some other way and open to more injury.

A few seasons back when dislocated my knee, I couldn't believe how week my legs became from inactivity for 6 weeks.

You gotta get up here later this winter when there's a good snowpack and all terrain is fair game...then we can do some exploring.

Stopped snowing and it's just windy. Looks like one or two tenths will do it in town. A dusting to most people haha.

Stop guesstimating and get a kiteboard.

Archived