SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record high at Massena already at 67F. Most areas west of the Greens are in the 50's to 60's, but east of them, socked in with low clouds temps in the 40's.

Been warm at the summit all day (mid 40s) but stuck in the 30s at the 1500ft base. I just drove down into town and my car said 43F in the center of the village.

530am found only 1" left at the stake (generally 0-2" depending on melt patterns) at 1550ft. Still holding onto decent natural snow cover up on the mountain at east and north aspects...only like 2-6" depending on elevation but it's durable thanks to yesterday's freeze-up on CAA prior to the WAA last night.

Glad to hear nne and parts of cne have muted this "torch period". Hope tonite doesn't bring the snow eating fog ,although stowe will prob see a nice dose of snow late tonite

The coldest spots unfortunately don't have much, if any, snow. The mountains and NW of them are relatively warm right now with high dews.

Lakes Region CAD in full effect again today...even without any snowcover. Only up to 37F so far. There's been light showers and DZ most of the day. I thought we looked prime for a bust this morning when we were socked into the FG/OVC with U20s with decent WAA aloft.

So true about the cold air damning. The Bridgewater/Plymouth area seems to never warm up till after a fropa. Its 4pm and Im up to 36.3F. Even though I face SW and have a 45 mile view in that direction there is a valley that runs NE just east of me. The cold air seems to follow the Pemi River down through Plymouth right to me. I have learned in snow to rain situations that I seem to take forever to get to freezing.

Anyhow its 36F and about 1/8 in thick fog for me!

Zone forecast is calling for 1-3 inches tomorrow afternoon and evening... hopefully we can whiten things up with CAA snow showers.

Wednesday: A chance of rain in the morning...then snow showers likely or a chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Wednesday Night: Cloudy with snow showers likely until midnight... Then partly cloudy after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible. Lows around 17. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph until midnight. Chance of snow 70 percent.

You never have to wait long in stowe for the dentrites to dance to the tune of orographic lift. Pfreak..do u think most of the natural snow will be gone tomm am only to be refresh'd?

Well I had 1" this morning at 1,550ft and the Co-Op had 5" at 4pm up top... most of the natural will be gone except for north facing slopes where its piled up over a few events and was skied in by poachers. I'm sure there'll still be something up there, but it'll be negligible.

For all the times I moan about the Mansfield Co-Op snowfall being way under-reported... I've got a puzzler today:

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

538 PM EST TUE DEC 4 2012

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD T 46 28 45 CLOUDY T 5

Trace of precipitation and a trace of new snowfall... hmmm. I certainly didn't see it snow today with temps in the 40s. And I was up top when the showers moved through with the warm front and it was definitely pouring all rain. Curious as to when they saw their trace in the last 24 hours, haha.

all the natural is toast up here, few N/NE facing patches left. pretty heavy draining and gurgling from the mountain, Jay brook was running very spring like.

rain to snow to sunshine. pretty unusual to wake up to 44F ski for 2 hours and drive home at 38F

looking forward to a return to a bit of winter

touch of snow can still be seen above 2800'

IMG_3178.jpg

guess whats man made?

IMG_3179.jpg

Current thinking: Rain changing to snow showers in the spine in early afternoon as temps aloft literally crash (-4C at 925, -9C at 850 by 18z)...snow showers possible mainly above 1,000feet this evening and overnight elsewhere.

Accumulations: 3-6" in the spine above 2k. 1-3" below that. Also, 1-2" in favorable spots in the NEK above 1,500feet with maybe a dusting above 1,000ft.

12z hi-res NAM really isn't feeling this event though(1-2" directly on the spine, thats it) and usually its over done, so I'm kinda going with my gut here. We'll see.

Current thinking: Rain changing to snow showers in the spine in early afternoon as temps aloft literally crash (-4C at 925, -9C at 850 by 18z)...snow showers possible mainly above 1,000feet this evening and overnight elsewhere.

Accumulations: 3-6" in the spine above 2k. 1-3" below that. Also, 1-2" in favorable spots in the NEK above 1,500feet with maybe a dusting above 1,000ft.

Sounds about right to me. I said 2-5 spine, 1-2 base areas...

Freezing level has hit the parking lots at 1,500ft... snowmaking control showing 32.0F right now.

Getting some incredible gusts funneling out of the Notch and ripping through the base area. The transfer gondola between Mansfield and Spruce Peak in the base area is down due to wind (towers gusting 40-50mph at 30-40ft agl). The wind just seems to accelerate out of the notch sometimes on these CAA patterns and when you've got acres and acres of open parking lot with no friction... feels like your car door is going to get ripped sometimes in these events.

Summit is gusting 60-70mph right now.

Keeping up-to-date from home today.

Archived