Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow in town is taking a beating today...upper 30s and melting fast with grass already showing up under evergreens and in south facing aspects.

We'll lose all 4" of it by tomorrow morning then it's back to brown outside. Had a nice run of 7 consecutive days with over 1" on the ground. It really felt like winter around these parts for the last week... when you wake up to a white landscape every morning it really sets the mood for the day.

Oh well hopefully itll be back by next weekend.

I was back at Stowe yesterday for more turns in the powder, and since I headed over to the Gondola side of the resort for the first time this season, I can pass along some snowpack observations. Here’s what I found for natural snow with respect to elevation; the numbers seem to fit pretty closely with what PF has been reporting:

1,600’: 9”

2,000’: 12”

2,500’: 14”

3,000’+: 14”+

It was actually hard to get good estimates of depth in the higher elevations because there had been some wind scouring, but it still didn’t seem that the depths increased all that much past the 14” mark. Perhaps the higher wind up there compacted the snow a bit more. There were some deeper drifts of course, such as a couple feet or more up near the south side of the Cliff House. The snow had certainly settled some since Friday, but the skiing was still excellent.

I’ve added a shot from yesterday below, and full reports from Friday and Saturday are available at our website.

01DEC12C.jpg

I was back at Stowe yesterday for more turns in the powder, and since I headed over to the Gondola side of the resort for the first time this season, I can pass along some snowpack observations. Here’s what I found for natural snow with respect to elevation; the numbers seem to fit pretty closely with what PF has been reporting:

1,600’: 9”

2,000’: 12”

2,500’: 14”

3,000’+: 14”+

Nice obs, J.Spin... and yeah, I'm not making things up, lol.

I have been surprised at the lack of difference between summit and base snowpack... the summit received almost twice as much snow in November as the base area did, as a lot of the early/mid November events were snow at the top with rain/mix at the base. However we melted back to 3" at the top and 0" at the base after that last warm spell...then this past week delivered 13" at the base, and 21" at the summit. However, the difference in snow on the ground was only about 4" after it all settled out (9.5" at my 1,550ft stake and then 13" at the fabled Co-Op stake).

Anyway, the first true thaw of the season is here now that we actually have a "snowpack" from top-to-bottom...

We'll have to see if any natural snow at 1,550ft survives. I'm curious to see what/if anything is at the stake in the morning at the base.

I think we may do fairly well during the 12/8-12/20 timeframe, When do you guys head home for break? I'm at LSC til 12/20 so I'm pumped lol

I don't go home until 12/21. Should be a good time...as long as I can maintain enough focus for finals. Good thing its freshman year and I should be fine even with "distractions"...lol.

One of the most annoying things about winter has got to be backyard precip observations not syncing up with radar. Looks like a nice soaking rain on radar but in reality I've had drizzle with 35dbz echoes.

.03"

On Nov. 7 I was under 30+ dbz for two hours and had glorified flurries the whole time...its especially annoying when its snow

One of the most annoying things about winter has got to be backyard precip observations not syncing up with radar. Looks like a nice soaking rain on radar but in reality I've had drizzle with 35dbz echoes.

.03"

From our vantage point, the melting layer band is right over your head. So the 0.5 degree slice is sampling some melting hydrometeors. That's likely contributing to juicing those dBZs a little bit.

And here at the office we're raining enough to pick up at least that an hour right now.

Looks heavier than it is, but we've still been seeing a steady 0.1" per hour of rain, with around 0.5" of rainfall so far this evening (since a little before 3pm). Strong SW winds bringing the moist air up over the spine...and depositing translucent snow over interior VT.

Would be enjoying this much more if it was snow...and I didn't have to listen to it pour off the roof.

I hate these warm ups. My meager 3.5" snowpack wiped away in a matter of hours, and still 42F at almost 11:00 pm. At least the few snow events we have had have been slight overperformers, at least in light of my pessimistic viewpoint. Oh well, at least things seem to be colder towards the middle and end of the week.

Still 34F at Plymouth, man, while we aren't the best location for snow, it holds low level cold like a beast. Well, looks like a few days of upper 40s, followed by mid 40s and falling temps Wednesday and then winter is back for a while. This is interesting from GYX, icestorm?

THERE IS SOME DISAGREEMENT AS TO THE SYSTEM FOR NEXT WEEK. MODELS

ATTEMPTING TO GRAND DIFFERENT SHORT WAVES DURING THE PERIOD. PTYPE

WILL LIKELY BE AN ISSUE AS WELL...WITH WARM AIR ALOFT AND PLENTY

OF COLD AIR NEAR THE SURFACE. SYSTEM LIFTS UP THE COAST PAST THE

LONG RANGE PTN OF THE FCST DURING A PERIOD OF HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDES.

Roger Hill didn’t have much to say about Wednesday’s possible snow in his broadcast this morning, but the BTV NWS is certainly following the potential with a paragraph in the latest discussion that mentions several inches of snow and travel difficulties:

COOLER/MORE SEASONABLE AIR MASS DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY WITH NWLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW REGIME SETTING UP. 2-M TEMPS AROUND 40F AT 12Z WEDNESDAY ACROSS VT REMAIN STEADY OR SLOWLY FALL THRU THE DAY AS 850MB TEMPS DROP FROM -2C AT 12Z TO -13C AT 00Z THURSDAY. ANY RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS IN THE VALLEYS WILL TRANSITION TO SNOW SHOWERS. MAIN FOCUS WILL BE IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN AS TRAILING UPR VORT MOVES ACROSS THE REGION 15-00Z. SETUP LOOKS FAVORABLE FOR OROGRAPHIC SNOW SHOWERS IN THE ADIRONDACKS AND NRN GREENS...AND INDICATED LIKELY POPS IN THE FAVORED LOCATIONS. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW EXPECTED FROM THE WRN SLOPES OF THE GREENS INTO THE HIGHER SUMMITS...AS WELL AS ACROSS THE NRN ADIRONDACKS. MAY SEE TRAVEL IMPACTS ALONG I-89 FROM BOLTON TO BROOKFIELD AND HIGHER ELEVATIONS ROADWAYS THRU THE GREENS WITH SOME ACCUMULATION ON ROADS.

I hate these warm ups. My meager 3.5" snowpack wiped away in a matter of hours, and still 42F at almost 11:00 pm. At least the few snow events we have had have been slight overperformers, at least in light of my pessimistic viewpoint. Oh well, at least things seem to be colder towards the middle and end of the week.

Yup, Warm ups suck, I lost my 1/4" pack last night........lol, Hopefully we build on that from Dec 9th onward

Yup, Warm ups suck, I lost my 1/4" pack last night........lol, Hopefully we build on that from Dec 9th onward

There is room for a cutter- like result for the 10-11th so hopefully that isnt the case....also the 0z EURO had over running snow to rain on the 9th...we'll see.

It gets cold air that up here in NNE no matter what, though.

I really did not think it was supposed to be this cold... not even close to our hourly forecast.

At noon we are forecast to be:

3,600ft...36F

2,600ft...40F

1,500ft...44F

Actual is:

3,600ft...26F

2,600ft...28F

1,500ft...32F

It keeps dropping too... temp has fallen about 5-8F across the board since 5am.

We'll be 10-12F lower than guidance today.

There is room for a cutter- like result for the 10-11th so hopefully that isnt the case....also the 0z EURO had over running snow to rain on the 9th...we'll see.

It gets cold air that up here in NNE no matter what, though.

And really, That's the 1st part needed, Then bring the moisture, Its going to be wintery, Just what type needs to be worked out this far out

I really did not think it was supposed to be this cold... not even close to our hourly forecast.

At noon we are forecast to be:

3,600ft...36F

2,600ft...40F

1,500ft...44F

Actual is:

3,600ft...26F

2,600ft...28F

1,500ft...32F

It keeps dropping too... temp has fallen about 5-8F across the board since 5am.

We'll be 10-12F lower than guidance today.

I noticed that too. I think it was 41° when I came into wark at 7:45. Its 38° now.

I noticed that too. I think it was 41° when I came into wark at 7:45. Its 38° now.

MVL ASOS was 43F at 6am and now at 11am it is 37F... still dropping 1-2F each hour.

I thought today was going to be like mid/upper 40s in the valleys (below 1,000ft). Looks like we are down to a one day torch (tomorrow) as the current daytime temperature is about the normal high.

MVL ASOS was 43F at 6am and now at 11am it is 37F... still dropping 1-2F each hour.

I thought today was going to be like mid/upper 40s in the valleys (below 1,000ft). Looks like we are down to a one day torch (tomorrow) as the current daytime temperature is about the normal high.

a nice temp bust in the mountain's favor. no more nightmare's about snow guns with dust on them. tim kelly said you'll be making snow by wednesday, heck you can probably spin the guns tonite, or even today half way up, right

a nice temp bust in the mountain's favor. no more nightmare's about snow guns with dust on them. tim kelly said you'll be making snow by wednesday, heck you can probably spin the guns tonite, or even today half way up, right

Nahhh, not worth it to try tonight. Definitely will be on by Wednesday afternoon.

Summit keeps poking out of the clouds... really dark and dreary day in the lower elevations but then you get to the top and its full sunshine at times.

It rained a good bit last night..unfortunately we can't downslope in rain events and upslope in snow events. We have to take the enhancement regardless of p-type, lol. But check out the downsloping into the Champlain Valley and then the tick up in precip over the mountains. Always amazes me how spots in Addison and Chittenden County can vary so much just because of terrain...like the 0.1" in the BTV area ranging to 0.75" in Underhill next to Mansfield.

Temps will rise again tonight. There is stronger SW flow in the OH valley that will reach NE.

Archived