SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some shots of a sheltered (wind-free) mini-hollow at around 2,000ft where there's 10-12" of snow on the ground. When those massive 1-inch diameter fluffy upslope dendrites fall in a wind-free environment they just pile up on everything... it looks like a wet snow but its not, total fluff.

And to think the Mansfield Co-Op at 3,900ft recorded only 5 inches over a 48 hour period during this last event... I wonder where all this snow came from then? It must've only snowed below 3,900ft :lol:

Very light snow since about 10 AM has whitened the ground but not much else, maybe 0.1" of tiny snow grains. Temp remains in the upper teens, off a near-zero low overnight, though temp was about 10 at the 7 AM cocorahs time (clouds had arrived.) My wife found some slippery going in AUG where slower traffic had packed the snow, while 10 miles north in Vassalboro (I had a morning meeting there) it was blown off the road by the faster traffic on Rt 201.

November avg was 30.70, -3.4 compared to my 15-yr avg and 3rd coldest, though only 0.25 milder than #1, in 2002. Now 2 of last 3 months were subnormal.

Max....59 on the 12th

Min.....5 on the 30th

0.84" precip, only18% of my avg and 1.53" below my previous Nov record.

2.5" snowfall, all but 0.1" coming on the 8th. I never had measurable snow OG at my 9 PM obs time, though I reported 2" OG at 7 AM on 11/8.

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.03” L.E.

It was still snowing lightly when I headed out to Stowe for some turns in the early afternoon, but it was done by the time I got back around dinner time. It looks like the next chances for snow are Wednesday and then Friday per the BTV forecast discussion:

WEDNESDAY AS TEMPS FALL THRU THE 30S TUESDAY NIGHT. TRAILING UPR TROUGH AND NWLY FLOW WEDNESDAY SHOULD BRING GENERALLY A CLOUDY DAY WITH POTENTIAL FOR OROGRAPHIC SNOW SHOWERS AND VALLEY RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS. WITH STRONG DPVA DURING THE AFTN...RAISED POPS TO LIKELY IN THE ACROSS THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND NRN GREENS FOR SNOW SHOWERS. SNOW ACCUM 2-4" POSSIBLE IN THE MTNS. COOLDOWN WEDNESDAY WITH HIGHS IN THE UPR 30S/LWR 40S IN THE VALLEYS...LOW/MID 30S IN THE MTNS. SHOULD SEE TRANSIENT ANTICYCLONE BRING CLEARING SKIES AND GOOD RADIATIONAL COOLING CONDITIONS FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH NEAR CALM CONDITIONS. COLD TEMPS EXPECTED...OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE TEENS TO LOWER 20S (WARMEST CHAMPLAIN VALLEY). SFC HIGH PRESSURE BRINGS LIGHT WINDS AND MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES FOR THURSDAY WITH TEMPS NEAR NORMAL (UPR 30S). PROGRESSIVE FLOW PATTERN MEANS INCREASED UNCERTAINTY FOR THE END OF THE PERIOD...NEXT FRONTAL BNDRY POSSIBLE LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN OR SNOW SHOWERS.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.7

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 27.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Kinda surprised we're still socked in and below freezing. There's been periods of FZDZ amidst the FZFG the pastcouple of hours. Temp is 30.7F.

Yeah, I'm in Concord doing some Christmas shopping and it is absolutely pea soup out. Car thermometer reading 32F. Ride down was foggy almost from KLEB on. No ice on 89 though.

Archived