• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Had 27/8 yest, coldest day so far, bringing Nov to 2.5F below my avg, and 3rd coolest of 15 yr. Saw one sizable waterbody iced over yest, Sibley Pond in Canaan, and had to break thru 2" ice in my washtub to drain the water, so a full freeze-up wouldn't pop the bottom. (Waited too long once again.)

GFS continues to show any significant precip to be accompanied by southerly winds and 40s. :axe:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1" total at LSC. right on track. Nice.

Sweet! I had 0.5" last night and this morning the Stowe CoCoRAHS guy reported 0.7" so that sounds right with an additional dusting overnight.

I'm actually looking forward to tonight's mini-event. These are always fascinating to me to watch develop and transpire. Regardless of what happens (sometimes you get hit by these nicely, other times the best is north/south/east/west, etc) its great meteorology to watch in motion.

Sorry to hear your plans were delayed. I was thinking of your webpage yesterday when it looked like you were getting snow from the radar. I was going to check your cam but figured it wasn't up still. Looks like a beautiful morning out there today!

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around for one more ... hopefully one to remember :)

Thanks! My website will be up until the last minute possible. Thinking of moving my snowboard to be in view of my wxcam. But if east and/or south winds blow during snow storms, snow drifts in that area. Might make another snowboard just for wxcam purposes to show on the ground measurement.

Coldest morning of the season so far with a low of 18.7°F. Hoar frost on sumacs at the edge of cove was very heavy with awesome lattice-like structure. Some photographer I am. Didn't think of pics until now, which of course is too late. :axe:

1" total at LSC. right on track. Nice.

Sweet! I had 0.5" last night and this morning the Stowe CoCoRAHS guy reported 0.7" so that sounds right with an additional dusting overnight.

I'm actually looking forward to tonight's mini-event. These are always fascinating to me to watch develop and transpire. Regardless of what happens (sometimes you get hit by these nicely, other times the best is north/south/east/west, etc) its great meteorology to watch in motion.

Only a light dusting in Barre. Hope to get a little more tonight.

Edit to add: Doesn't look like Allenson had all that muc either.

snowfall.png

Edit to add: Doesn't look like Allenson had all that muc either.

Can't speak for higher up in elevation towards Allenson, but we did have solid dusting in the valley in Orford with nothing in Hanover/Lebanon area.

I was surprised to hear them actually plowing .1" of snow this morning.

Can't speak for higher up in elevation towards Allenson, but we did have solid dusting in the valley in Orford with nothing in Hanover/Lebanon area.

Yeah I called for 0.25" in the higher elevations of Windsor county for vtrans last night. Hopefully that verified.

Allenson is a COOP spotter so I figured he was one of the 0.0's in northern Orange County.

Been snowing a steady light to at times near moderate snow over the past hour at the ski resort.

Already a couple tenths of new snow and these flakes are prime dendrites. Bodes really well for later this evening when the front comes through.

Already a good deal of moisture working into the mountains.

Always amazes me when you look at the radar you'd think its snowing all the way to BTV and everywhere, but the composite is very misleading in that nothing is happening over BTV while its starting to crank here over the Spine.

View from BTV towards Mansfield... looking into a wall of white.

And inside the wall of white here in Stowe.

Snow has started up here in Burlington as of ~1:45 P.M. – the precipitation we’re currently seeing must be well out ahead of the front, but it does appear to be building in from the northwest:

29NOV12A.gif

The point and click forecast contains the “heavy snow” icon for this evening, presumably in anticipation of potential snowfall rates – first time I believe I’ve seen that for our location this season:

29NOV12A.jpg

GFS continues to show any significant precip to be accompanied by southerly winds and 40s. :axe:

Dude it's not even december. That's what's supposed to happen. Get a week of cold with sustained snow showers. it warms up. That packs down. Rinse and repeat for a while till the storms come later in the winter.....

Here in Stowe Village it is snowing pretty hard right now.... phenomenal snow growth... picked up almost a half inch in the last hour at 750ft. It must be cranking hard at the mountain... as it was snowing heavily up there when I left.

Outside the sliding glass door in my living room... just a beautiful afternoon of snow.

started with a nice wind packed 1" in the yard yesterday, been snowing all day here. nothing overwhelming but a bit of a surprise as I was expecting a late day snow with the front. Picked up 1"+ last night with the squalls, 1"+ today, hopefully a surprise tonight and what do ya know, the backyard ski resort is opening early this year :thumbsup:

Going to need to go for a jebwalk in the snow, lol. Picture perfect dendrites pouring down and since it was 32F earlier, its all stacking up on every little tree branch and twig. The forest out back is turning white very quickly.

30/29 right now with moderate snow.

MVL ASOS is now down to 1/2sm SN, so its definitely moderate snow here. Heavy snow at the ski resort.

Going to need to go for a jebwalk in the snow, lol. Picture perfect dendrites pouring down and since it was 32F earlier, its all stacking up on every little tree branch and twig. The forest out back is turning white very quickly.

30/29 right now with moderate snow.

MVL ASOS is now down to 1/2sm SN, so its definitely moderate snow here. Heavy snow at the ski resort.

Not totally unsurprising, but the models have trended more unstable with this Arctic push today. GFS Bufkit soundings now showing theta-e decreasing with height, both at BTV and BML, and NAM12 picking up on negative lapse rates of theta-e from 0-2 km.

So seeing some good rates ahead of the front doesn't surprise me. Now with the boundary dropping into northern VT I bet we seeing a good band of snow that will really rip as it comes through in the next few hours.

Archived