Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are trending better it seems

Must have snowpack or snowmobiling. Our neighors have sleds and apparently there is a great trail up to Mt. Kearsage....11 miles from our door.

Snow increasing now and snow growth improving a bit. You should be in it quickly, don't worry if it starts as snow grains or grapple. Enjoy it, I'll be on my way to London tonight.

Must have snowpack or snowmobiling. Our neighors have sleds and apparently there is a great trail up to Mt. Kearsage....11 miles from our door.

Snow increasing now and snow growth improving a bit. You should be in it quickly, don't worry if it starts as snow grains or grapple. Enjoy it, I'll be on my way to London tonight.

On the doorstep here, Good luck and have a great time Mark while over there

as for the colder trend on 12z GFS... 850mb level cooling off more, but 500mb warmth for duration. pretty interesting setup. can th the mountains clean up on the backside is the question. #2 seems to hangout for a while, with temps borderline. wondering where that upslope signature is... seems LL moisture not really there with N-NW flow as the cold air wraps in later tues-weds.

Man this is going to be close... especially at elevation.

The 12z CMC is a tick cooler again... these models keep getting a bit colder and further SE with the secondary. You know what, it may just happen because usually in these set-ups over here in NW New England we'll get sort of screwed while SNE cleans up because of redevelopment occurring further SE than models prog. This time its way too warm, but maybe that SE trend can help us hold more sleet or something. Its got a sleet look to me for some reason.

But look at this:

f48.gif

f54.gif

f60.gif

f66.gif

Whoa that’s tight, but remember… it’s the Northern Greens we’re talking about.

Snowfall intensity has picked up a lot here now, going from that ½ mile visibility to more like ¼ mile visibility. I can see a band that moved through our area at the I-89/Chittenden County/Washington County junction – flakes are bigger now as well, with numerous ½” to 1” flakes in there, so accumulation should bump up a bit. You should be getting that in the Stowe area soon:

16DEC12B.gif

Well, that was indeed a good burst of snow, the snowboard went from 0.4” to 0.9” in depth in the 2:30 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. block, so the snow averaged 1”/hr during that time. With regard to my earlier plot of season snowfall, we’re actually close to moving back ahead of 2006-2007 snowfall through this point in the season. Another round or two of snowfall like that and we’d be there.

Yeah, PF...lots of sleet like I have been thinking. Lots of warming aloft later tomorrow as that primary gets going over NYS...if it stays farther east, I wouldn't be surprised if Mansfield sees all frozen. Even lower elevations may be a lot of sleet through Tuesday morning at like 33F or something as 850mb-925mb should be below freezing or pretty damn close.

Whoa that’s tight, but remember… it’s the Northern Greens we’re talking about.

Snowfall intensity has picked up a lot here now, going from that ½ mile visibility to more like ¼ mile visibility. I can see a band that moved through our area at the I-89/Chittenden County/Washington County junction – flakes are bigger now as well, with numerous ½” to 1” flakes in there, so accumulation should bump up a bit. You should be getting that in the Stowe area soon:

16DEC12B.gif

Different story on the western slopes most of the day. Had some pretty good downslope winds (30-40 mph) and not much more than glorified flurries. Could barely call it a tenth of an inch as of 2pm.

Different story on the western slopes most of the day. Had some pretty good downslope winds (30-40 mph) and not much more than glorified flurries. Could barely call it a tenth of an inch as of 2pm.

3:30pm

1.1" on RT 108 in Stowe at 750ft. Technically its 1 and 1/8th, lol. I need a ruler with tenths here at home. Not worth taking any pics yet, though. Hoping we can get to 2" as that would cover the grass blades.

I used to experience that every single storm in Jonesville... SE flow ripping downslope off 4,000ft Camels Hump into the Winooski Valley. At least we used to see some pretty substantial downslope winds though... lost power a lot, haha.

The 12z CMC is a tick cooler again... these models keep getting a bit colder and further SE with the secondary. You know what, it may just happen because usually in these set-ups over here in NW New England we'll get sort of screwed while SNE cleans up because of redevelopment occurring further SE than models prog. This time its way too warm, but maybe that SE trend can help us hold more sleet or something. Its got a sleet look to me for some reason.

But look at this:

f48.gif

f54.gif

f60.gif

f66.gif

I have been commenting on that as well Scott, We keep getting these ticks cooler and these subtle shifts, Again we see it on the 18z Nam we go SN/Frzrn/RN and back to SN, If we can keep this trend going and get this secondary further east in subsequent runs we could be looking at a decent event of frozen here

With the Gondola opening yesterday, I was able to bring out the snow board to its home location at 3,014ft (about 2/3rds of the way up the mountain)... what a great measuring spot. Kudos to my ski patrol friend who found this one. A nice hole in the forest with flat terrain and no wind. The snow falls light and straight down in here. These photos were from around 10am, and my friend who checked this at last run at 4pm reported 1.75-2" of snow at 3,000ft. Makes sense with 1.1" down in the village.

I had left the snowstake up there since last season (but took the snow board down) and found 6.5" of depth right now at 3,000ft. We'll have to see where we go from here. I'm going to imagine 6.5" is a pretty darn low "snowpack" for that elevation on the Spine in mid-December.

Archived