Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Great AFD from BTV this afternoon

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

AS OF 340 PM EST THURSDAY...THE FRONT IS JUST CROSSING THE INTERNATIONAL BORDER AS I TYPE. GOT TO BE HONEST, IT DOESN`T HAVE TOO MUCH WITH IT. PERHAPS 30 SECONDS WORTH OF SNOW. STILL WILL LIKELY SEE ENHANCEMENT OF THE SNOW SHOWERS WITH THE FRONT AS IT PUSHES SOUTH AND COMES INTO A REGION WITH SLIGHTLY MORE MOISTURE (THAT WOULD BE THE NORTHERN THIRD OF THE VERMONT -- WHERE WE`VE HAD SOME LIGHT SNOW THE PAST FEW HOURS).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nice outside right now... finally full on winter with snow stuck to everything and near 4" on the grass from this weeks' worth of nickel and dime snowfalls.

Snow globe dendrites (huge flakes) outside right now.

I thought we'd be winding down here as radar showed a decrease, but now I notice there's another slug of moisture moving across northern NY, so it looks like we'll continue to snow as that moisture moves into the Greens.

So nice outside right now... finally full on winter with snow stuck to everything and near 4" on the grass from this weeks' worth of nickel and dime snowfalls.

Snow globe dendrites (huge flakes) outside right now.

I thought we'd be winding down here as radar showed a decrease, but now I notice there's another slug of moisture moving across northern NY, so it looks like we'll continue to snow as that moisture moves into the Greens.

It'll be like this through at least 7pm I'd say out this way..already have 1", so 3" isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Should be snowing just N of me now. I wonder how much makes it this far south?

I think it will be a struggle to push south with the dry antecedent air mass, then the downslope assist with time. I think the best shot to get anything into the foothills will be if that squall along the front can become better organized and hold together. I wouldn't want to be much farther south than you are.

Looks like the front just went through BTV as a needle thin enhancement of echos on radar.

Still surprised at how much moisture is still behind the front. Wonder if we can tack on another inch and make it to 3" here in town. I'm sure there's a good deal of snow up at the ski resort with occasional 30dbz on the county line.

I feel pretty good about the mountain summits being in that 5-6 inch range.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM FRIDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 600 PM EST THURSDAY...HAVE INCREASED SNOW AMOUNTS INTO THE

GENERAL 2-4 INCH RANGE ACROSS OUR NRN MTNS PER REPORTS FROM

VARIOUS SOURCES OF 1 TO 4 INCHES HAVING FALLEN IN MUCH OF THESE

AREAS. WE COULD SEE ISOLATED TOTALS NEARING 6 INCHES IN A FEW

SPOTS...BUT GENERALLY THIS SHOULD BE ABOVE 1800 FEET AND NOT

REPRESENTATIVE OF THE AREA AS A WHOLE. A DUSTING TO 2

INCHES...PERHAPS TO NEAR 3 INCHES EXPECTED IN THE CHAMPLAIN/ST

LAWRENCE VALLEYS...LESS FAR SOUTH. ARCTIC FRONTAL BOUNDARY AND

ASSOCIATED LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE/LIFT PASSING THROUGH THE CENTRAL

PORTIONS OF THE FCST AREA AT THIS TIME AND HAVE ALSO ADJUSTED POPS

ACCORDINGLY. QPF UPDATED WITH A MULTI-MODEL 12/18Z MIXING- BOWL

BLEND...WHICH SEEMS TO CAPTURE EXPECTED AMTS FAIRLY GOOD. SNOW

RATIOS HARD TO DEFINE AND CERTAINLY INFLUENCED BY ELEVATION...BUT

10:1 VALLEYS...20:1 500-1000 FT...AND 30:1 ABV 1000 FT GETS YOU

CLOSE TO CURRENT REPORTS. FRONTAL BOUNDARY AND ASSOCIATED DEEPER

RH TO SAG SOUTH OF THE REGION OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS...AND

OBSERVATIONS TO OUR IMMEDIATE NORTH AND INTO SRN CANADA SHOWING

SNOW INTENSITY MUCH LESS OR HAVING STOPPED...SO PRIOR FCSTRS IDEA

OF A GENERAL WANING OF ACTIVITY AFTER 8 PM STILL APPEARS RIGHT ON

TRACK. NO ADJUSTMENTS TO WIND/TEMPS WITH THIS EARLY EVENING

UPDATE...THOUGH WILL REASSESS LATER THIS EVENING.

Anyone want this forecast for there area? ^_^

• This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 85 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 33 to 39 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 21. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a south southwest wind 85 to 95 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 37 to 43 inches possible.
  • Friday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 15 by 4pm. Wind chill values as low as -13. Windy, with a south southwest wind 80 to 85 mph decreasing to 70 to 75 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
  • Friday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -13. Windy, with a south southwest wind 70 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.
  • Saturday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 75 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
  • Saturday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.
  • Sunday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 18. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

:snowing: :snowing: :snowing: that's a max of over 200" of snow in 4 days, are you KIDDING me?!?!?!? haha

where the hell in the west is that point-and-click for? that next storm looks pretty warm!

Anyone want this forecast for there area? ^_^

• This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 85 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 33 to 39 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 21. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a south southwest wind 85 to 95 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 37 to 43 inches possible.
  • Friday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 15 by 4pm. Wind chill values as low as -13. Windy, with a south southwest wind 80 to 85 mph decreasing to 70 to 75 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
  • Friday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -13. Windy, with a south southwest wind 70 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.
  • Saturday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 75 to 80 mph, with gusts as high as 115 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
  • Saturday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.
  • Sunday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 18. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Wow... its coming down out there.

3" on the nose as a storm total at 750ft (prob 0.15" liquid as a guess based on MVL's obs). 5" snow depth. Great snow growth, huge flakes. WNW winds drifting that snow down into town from the spine to the west.

I have a feeling this is going to be very nice on Mansfield. The mountain has been in this enhanced band for a while now. I assume its as fluffy as it is in town, so there'll be some snow up there in the morning. Should be sweet to see how long this sticks around.

2" on the nose with moderate snow. nice

Fun little November event... there's going to be some decent totals in spots like the western slopes and northern Lamoille County. We were up to 3" at 7pm but it looks like a lot of those folks were 3-5" back at 5-6pm and it's been ripping since then.

Maybe even some low end warning amounts? Johnson at 5" a couple hours ago has got to be closing in on 7". The Johnson State College kids will be stoked, haha.

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...

SALISBURY 0.5 726 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...

SHEFFIELD 5.0 705 PM 11/29 BROADCAST MEDIA

SUTTON 4.0 531 PM 11/29 BROADCAST MEDIA

LYNDONVILLE 1.8 719 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...

JERICHO 4.0 621 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

UNDERHILL 4.0 537 PM 11/29 BROADCAST MEDIA

1 E NASHVILLE 3.0 606 PM 11/29 NWS EMPLOYEE

WESTFORD 3.0 537 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

ESSEX CENTER 2.0 454 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

MILTON 1.5 525 PM 11/29 DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

JONESVILLE 1.0 612 PM 11/29 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 NE SOUTH BURLINGTO 0.9 655 PM 11/29 NWS OFFICE

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

FAIRFAX 2.0 350 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

WATERVILLE 5.0 611 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

JOHNSON 5.0 558 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

MORRISVILLE 4.0 714 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

ELMORE 3.0 647 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

STOWE 1.4 438 PM 11/29 TRAINED SPOTTER

...ORANGE COUNTY...

WEST TOPSHAM 2.0 700 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

...ORLEANS COUNTY...

LOWELL 3.0 546 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

JAY 1.0 453 PM 11/29 MEASURED AT 1600 FEET.

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

WOODBURY 3.0 538 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

MONTPELIER 1.5 525 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

MIDDLESEX 1.0 423 PM 11/29 PUBLIC

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.14” L.E.

By later in the afternoon, the snowfall in Burlington had actually turned over to rain, but it was back to snow and coming down hard a few miles to the east in Williston. Temperatures were slightly above freezing as I headed through the Winooski Valley on Route 2, so the roads themselves were just wet, but the snowfall was so heavy that visibility was quite poor and that required slow travel. I’d say that heavy snow icon in the forecast from earlier today definitely verified. The temperature had dropped a bit in the last mile or so before the house, so snow was accumulating on the road, and for the 6:00 P.M. observations I found 1.8” of snow on the snowboard. As of 8:00 P.M. there’s another 1.5” on the snowboard now, so snowfall has been running in the ¾”/hr range. We’ve certainly met that 1-3” forecast from earlier today with ease. I’m not sure quite where we’ll end up for a snow total, but there still appears to be plenty of moisture upstream based on the radar:

29NOV12B.gif

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Snow (3 - 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Archived