Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some light snow falling here this morning too. Not much more than mood snow though.

And yeah, it's dry out there--1.23" for November so far and only 36.67" for the calendar year. I'm starting to wonder if we'll make 40" or not.

We haven't had a cold/cool & dry winter for a long time. That's been my hunch leading into this winter for a while now and I'll stick with it. Which means the faucet ought to open up soon. wink.png

I didn’t detect any obvious snowfall at the house this morning around 6:00 A.M., but as I headed east into town I started to catch faint glimpses of snow falling in the brighter lights along the way, and at the Waterbury Park and Ride there was definitely snow falling and what appeared to be a fresh coating on the ground and other surfaces. There don’t seem to be any large winter storms coming through the area this week, but the call is for a number of little systems to traverse the area and keep things wintry and somewhat interesting on the weather front.

A bonus 1" at the ski resort...fluffy fluff. Still snowing but like 2-4sm vis stuff.

Looks like another round of moisture moving in from NY.

WESTERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ST. ALBANS...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL

625 AM EST MON NOV 26 2012

.NOW...

SNOW SHOWERS WILL LIKELY REMAIN PERSISTENT THROUGH 7 AM IN THE

NORTHERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY THEN GRADUALLY DIMINISH. LOCALIZED SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS COULD REACH AN INCH. THIS MAY CAUSE SOME SLICK

ROADWAYS FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE.

Exciting stuff this dusting-2" events...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 648 AM EST MONDAY...MINOR S/W HOLDING ON MORE THAN XPCTD

WITH SOME CHAMPL VLY CONVERGENCE OCCURRING AS WELL. SCT/NUMEROUS

SNOW SHOWERS FM KBTV-KMPV LINE NORTHWARD THRU 13-14Z DIMINISHING

WITH TIME. SNOWFALL ACCUM FM A DUSTING TO 2 INCHES.

Some light snow falling here this morning too. Not much more than mood snow though.

And yeah, it's dry out there--1.23" for November so far and only 36.67" for the calendar year. I'm starting to wonder if we'll make 40" or not.

We haven't had a cold/cool & dry winter for a long time. That's been my hunch leading into this winter for a while now and I'll stick with it. Which means the faucet ought to open up soon. wink.png

This has been my fear as well. I thought we might be breaking out of the dry pattern a little earlier in the fall but we seem to have jumped right back to dry.

Had a little dusting of snow at home and the temp had jumped from 16° at 11:30 last night to 26° this morning.

Bottomed out in the mid teens this morning, as the wind never quit. Had 29/21 yest, 1st subfreezing high of the season, and a few flakes during the morning. Month's temp is now about -2.5, should be -3.0 to -3.5 by the 30th. Saturday's 0.03" (plus some graupel & flakes about sunset as my unsuccessful deer chase was ending) brought Nov precip to 0.84". With the Tues-Wed event looking to be OTS, seems like a lock for a sub-1" final total. I've only had 6 such months in my 14.5 yr here, and this likely 7th one will be the 2nd one this year. As remarkable as the low precip total for a normally stormy month, even moreso (to me) is the paucity of events, with only 3: 0.57" with the 11/8 snow/rain, 0.24" in the 11/13 frontal passage, and the little bit on Sat.

Light snow falling right now at a temp of 36.5F. Looks and feels like winter FTW.

That's like the one perk of living in NNE, especially up this way...it'll find ways to snow on a mesoscale level. It's nice until February then it gets really old haha

Last year LSC got ONE synoptic 9" event in November all season (while I was home of course lol) and we still nickel and dimed our way to 82" for the season.

Wow... dumping. 2.3" at 1,500ft...up to 3.5" up high.

Picked up 1" between 7:30-8:30am... of course pics later.

Once again we all forget that the Nor. Greens just need a little moisture, and some upper level lift to make it snow 2-4 inches. Awesome morning up high. Not so much on 89.

Looking good over the next 3-4 days.

When I arrived in Burlington this morning there were a few flakes in the air and a light dusting of accumulated snow on the ground, but the snowfall became a lot more vigorous at some point. I happened to look out a window at around 9:00 A.M. and it was dumping snow. The vigorous snowfall around here meant numerous accidents and travel delays on the roads - many folks making their way to UVM from various directions were delayed a couple of hours. I checked outside, and as of 11:00 A.M. the accumulation was only ~¾” here on the UVM/FAHC campus, but it was certainly a very robust round of snow in terms of travel disruptions. I’ve added a radar shot from earlier today in winter mode, it’s similar to what PF put up but it’s got a few different frames as well. You can really make out some of those streamers of moisture coming into Central Vermont:

26NOV12A.gif

2-3 more upslope episodes this week.

Hopefully you are right :) Good calls on the last couple.

Mansfield is doing what it does best right now, and that is make it snow. 5-8" since Saturday and there's actually a decent snow depth building up all the sudden.

This is at roughly 2,200-2,300ft (not that high up all things considered) and this is all natural... there's like 6-8" on the ground.

And the natural snow trails are one dump away now... low angle grassy slopes are getting poached now (these are not my tracks but just to show how one more good snowfall could change some things)...this is at 1,800ft too so the snow is down low too on the mountain.

Hopefully you are right :) Good calls on the last couple.

Mansfield is doing what it does best right now, and that is make it snow. 5-8" since Saturday and there's actually a decent snow depth building up all the sudden.

This is at roughly 2,200-2,300ft (not that high up all things considered) and this is all natural... there's like 6-8" on the ground.

And the natural snow trails are one dump away now... low angle grassy slopes are getting poached now (these are not my tracks but just to show how one more good snowfall could change some things)...this is at 1,800ft too so the snow is down low too on the mountain.

Winter in Fall as it should be.

Here at home in the valley/village at 750ft, today's snowfall is 1.5" and the snowstake in my yard says 3" of depth from the past 2-3 days of snow showers.

On the driveway though is the 1.5" from this morning...and the 3" depth in the yard is total fluff. If we warm up later this weekend that'll disappear within hours, lol. At least it looks like winter and smells like it with woodstove smoke in the air.

Its funny because I can already tell we are packing down the driveway for the long haul unless it warms up and melts. Its not worth clearing these back to back 1.5" snowfalls, but keep driving over it and its going to pack into a block of ice. The snow on Saturday night was already packed in by tire traffic, and now we are working on packing this new stuff in.

post-352-0-61379900-1353962134.jpg

Pf I told the gf to leave me in stowe, now I plan on setting up a yurt in ur backyard for the winter, just shoot me a text w ur address jk

i'm actually staying another nite and i was wondering are we expecting another shot at snow showers by morning.

looking at btv disco wed pm may see a rather robust round of something with a cold push

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

With the addition of today’s snowfall from the shortwave, there’s now at least a light coating of snow on the ground all the way from Burlington through the Winooski Valley corridor to Waterbury. Accumulations have definitely been higher to the north and east though; E and the boys said that they picked up 2 to 3 inches at their school in Morrisville. I found 0.5 inches of new snow here at the house, and I was surprised how much substance was there when I stacked a couple of cores off the snowboard. It sounds like the next potential for some snow is tomorrow with the incoming upper level disturbance.

Some details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.8 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

thanks for the radar post above, now i know what happened while i was asleep

woke up to about 1.5 - 2 inches of very fluffy snow this morning, much to my surprise.

had to run outside and quickly move my car from main street as the evidence that i had overparked 2.5 hours was all over my car in the form of unbrushed snow.

went down to burlinton later in the day, much of there snow had melted off it seemed, but back in St. A, the snow was packed into the side roads by this evening.

Archived