joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just walked the UWS in a box around 94 to 81, along CPW and Riverside Drive. Can't stress enough again how lucky we are. Mostly relatively light tree damage. Some big ones down along CPW, but generally speaking it doesn't look like a disaster inside the Park. I'm sure there are plenty of trees down, but the Park will still look the same when they clean it up. Given that resources need to be put towards residential neighborhoods, it makes sense to keep it closed and delay opening it. Has to put the Marathon in question for the weekend for that reason alone.

In walking the neighborhood, it was easier to see why I felt so little of the wind during the storm. We are about as sheltered as possible from a NE wind. The cross streets in Manhattan run ESE to WNW. We face south, and we are at the Western end of a long block, so any NE wind basically blows from behind us. My car was parked near CPW and 94th, exposed to the NE wind and a tree fell ten feet from it.

Glad to see the park seemed to fair ok!

March 1962 Nor'easter had some epic damage at the Jersey Shore, but nothing like this...

Hold that thought - http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/features/f6/storm-of-long-beach-island/collection_3abe0c84-64b1-11e1-9b6c-0019bb2963f4.html. I don't think people realize how incredibly bad that was.

This is definitely the worst since then. Is it worse? I'm not sure, though I don't think comparisons like that are important. Worse in some places, not as bad in others, etc. - obviously both storms with coastal impacts I think we can all agree we hope to never see again. Terrible images coming out of this one.

Breezy point fire:

2arage2y.jpg

That area looks incredibly densely built up for a single family home area-almost looks third world in that sense alone. Do many of these people drive-and if so where do they park? (I am just totally unfamiliar with this type of area of NYC. Also at the very bottom of the pic it looks like some of the houses are a bit askew and one looks possibly collapsed-would that be from the surge? How many people evacuated this area. Damn that fire looks like something out of Japan or something given the density of wooden houses. Did anyone die in this fire? Just astounded and curious about this.

FInally after sorting through a lot of crap and fake videos I found one showing something more like a hurricane condition (Jersey City):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvm0B1KhV98

Yeah, saw this on CNN. Boy what I wouldn't have given to see anything like that back when I lived at home (destruction aside, of course). The guy who took that video lives in a high rise near the waterfront and was trapped on the 7th floor of the building because his lobby was still flooded as of lunchtime today.

The ferocious winds lasted way too long. It was awesome to see the power but i was getting uncomfortable after a while. There are probably tons of posters here that still dont have power. My friend a few blocks away wont have power until Nov. 5th. That's ridiculous and im lucky

Btw, GFS, and other models are signaling a storm threat, maybe wintry, in a week or so. The NAO is just beasting negative right now

Night 2 without power. Getting chilly in here but I'm bundled up, though I'm not spending another night in here without power.

Woke up to a 20' or so tree down in my back yard. Most neighbors have similar damage. Didn't get a chance to explore the town but ill do that tomorrow. Looking at things in here, and knowing how many folks are without power like me, I think I got off easy.

Not sure if this has been posted, but it seems that many houses closest to the beach in Seaside Heights suffered catastrophic damage:

http://www.breakingn...tline-after-hur

Similar in Holgate on the south end of LBI. There are a couple of pictures on this page: http://lbirecovery.tumblr.com/

Some houses have been lost. My grandparents' house is in Holgate, but a bit north of the pics on that site and on the bayside (protected by a marina) with above-average elevation, so it looked fine when I saw it on the aerial shots.

My weather station at the house somehow continued to upload data to the internet until about 1:30 am yesterday, so I caught both the front and back sides of the storm. Peak gust of 64 mph, minimum pressure 27.94" - and I had no idea of the destruction that was going on within mere blocks as my updates came into Wunderground.

Hard to really grasp the damage around the area at the moment. I'm sure we will be talking about this one for the rest of our lives.

I had an eerie feeling when going over the 18z NAM soundings with forky around 4-5pm. There was a clearly event moist absolutely unstable layer on the 3-9 hour soundings...and we were dealing with mixing down a 75 knot low level jet...and it was a southeast based low level wind info the harbor at high tide.

But it's one of those things where the translation from forecasting , and something you see on data , to real life...and something you see where people are devestated and lives are lost.. is hard to understand.

I had an eerie feeling when going over the 18z NAM soundings with forky around 4-5pm. There was a clearly event moist absolutely unstable layer on the 3-9 hour soundings...and we were dealing with mixing down a 75 knot low level jet...and it was a southeast based low level wind info the harbor at high tide.

Yep. Became a concern when we looked at soundings the day before...and it might have been there on soundings even earlier. The MAUL lived up to its name.

Yep. Became a concern when we looked at soundings the day before...and it might have been there on soundings even earlier. The MAUL lived up to its name.

Is the MAUL similar in any way to the sting jet some have mentioned? Seems both groups of opinions are discussing the same event, so wondering whether people are using different names for the same thing. Also, how unusual is a MAUL, and are they usually associated with a TC event?? Thx

Archived