• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Is it really looking like Christmas?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Virginia University is just as stupid. I'm sitting at work since I'm required to be here since the campus is not closed (Logic being, we're not in the path of the storm since we're not even close to the coast). At the moment it's moderate rain with light winds, probably gusting to max 20 mph (enough to get lights to flicker occasionally), but we're not even close to getting the best of sandy yet.

I haven't gotten a single email from the University even alerting people to the presence of this storm. I realize we are really far inland, but we are still under several warnings and thus won't be insulated from the storm's effects. Hell we've been told from the beginning by media outlets that we're probably going to lose power for days.

I don't get it; perhaps they just assume this is going to miss altogether or students are already aware of it. Too bad I didn't drive home to experience this for real, but perhaps that is for my own good.

now hearing on the scanner, trees down in Cumberland county...........and it hasn't begun to get bad yet!

I fear the fact we had the easterly flow that trapped the low level moisture and clouds overhead late last week will help make it worse in terms of downed trees. I had been damp for several days now so soil is already soft

I fear the fact we had the easterly flow that trapped the low level moisture and clouds overhead late last week will help make it worse in terms of downed trees. I had been damp for several days now so soil is already soft

Wind's really picked up the last 10 minutes here in HBG. I hate to admit it, but I'm geniunely scared for this evening/overnight.

we have 2-75' pine trees, the one in our back yard has my wife and daughter scared.

having spent 30 years in the fire dept and 15 as a command officer, i think i handle pressure well, its rare i get excited/nervous, but i have this very bad feeling.

"Windy, with a north wind 18 to 23 mph increasing to 28 to 33 mph in the morning.

So far, I've yet to see a wind above 14.

I noticed that too. I want to think they mean "increasing in the afternoon" because I don't think winds will be significant until 2 or 3pm.

PS - max gust so far at Walker building is 21 mph

http://climate.met.psu.edu/realtime/walker/walker.html

As I look at the 943mb current pressure of Sandy I find it amazing that the Euro...almost one week ago.....showed a wound-up 935mb low near the mouth of the Chesapeake for around this current time frame. We're only 8mb away. Stunning, and rather frightening to anticipate what is about to transpire over us in the next 36 hours. I wonder if anyone will manage to hold on to their power by the time we get to Wednesday?

Well atleast we now know who is considered "essential" employees in PA: "State liquor stores should remain open in central Pennsylvania today unless they lose electricity. State stores in the Philadelphia region are closing in anticipation of outages caused by Hurricane Sandy.

"

Archived