joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy is trucking right along. Moving a little faster than some of the models like the NAM/GFS..maybe even the Euro. She's trucking pretty good.

Yeah, would expect to come in a little quicker than guidance.

I know it's overstated by now, but the winds are already ramped up somewhat, yet the storm isn't past the Carolinas yet....that's ridiculous

Yeah, would expect to come in a little quicker than guidance.

I know it's overstated by now, but the winds are already ramped up somewhat, yet the storm isn't past the Carolinas yet....that's ridiculous

Sustained winds across CT are between about 15-20 mph.

I won't be shocked if she moves a bit quicker than model guidance...one of the reasons why as well I would think for a more northern landfall...if models are moving her too slow they will also phase quicker and tug her in quicker.

Sustained winds across CT are between about 15-20 mph.

I won't be shocked if she moves a bit quicker than model guidance...one of the reasons why as well I would think for a more northern landfall...if models are moving her too slow they will also phase quicker and tug her in quicker.

i don't think she can get north of 40N with that E canada/greenland block no matter what, maybe i'm mistaken and i know your not calling for anything outside of NNJ anyway right wiz

i don't think she can get north of 40N with that E canada/greenland block no matter what, maybe i'm mistaken and i know your not calling for anything outside of NNJ anyway right wiz

Yeah I'm still thinking northern NJ for landfall.

While the blocking will certainly limit her northward progress her size and strength will make it difficult to phase early...while I think she will move north faster than models show, eventually b/c of the blocking and resisting to phase early on she will slow down quite a bit but I don't think the landfall will be as far south as some models show.

I know the debate is out there though...there were a quite of few people at the SNE wx conference who also don't believe she will make landfall as far south as some of the models show.

Sandy is trucking right along. Moving a little faster than some of the models like the NAM/GFS..maybe even the Euro. She's trucking pretty good.

Was there any difference in the models that were showing higher speed with respect to track? Would be good not to have any wrenches in the works (though at this point it's probably more academic than anything).

Winds whistling away here.

NAM is super fast. If that were to verify I think we might avoid a worst case scenario surge. Tide in New Haven and Fairfield Counties is high around midnight.

LL ftw (or a minimized loss)? That'll be great news. What would cause it to speed up this much (at the 11th hour here) yet still land in the same place? Does that seem odd?

Guaranteed...there will be people inland in mass who get 45 kts gusts and very little rain who will call this storm a major bust...regardless of the fact that that is what is what is forecasted. It happens every storm pretty much.

Speaking of very little rain... check out the orographics on BTV's 4km WRF model, lol.

From 12z Monday to 12z Tuesday it has under 0.1" of rainfall for the CT Valley in MA/CT as well as the Hudson Valley in epic downslope conditions. This could make for higher winds in the valley though with downslope mixing higher gusts aloft.

While it has almost no rain in the CT Valley and Hudson Valley, it likewise has massive upslope with 1.5-4.0" in the Worcester Hills, the Berkshire crest, and the eastern Catskills.

The rainfall distribution will be really cool from this storm...just like a long duration easterly fetch snow storm.

Archived