Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Sandy thread

usedtobe

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone give me a readers digest explanation as to how the central pressure is well into Cat 3 territory and the wind speeds are still low Cat 1? I know central pressure isn't the only determining factor for wind speed, but it seems to me that winds should be significantly higher than 85mph given a pressure of 945mb...

Can someone give me a readers digest explanation as to how the central pressure is well into Cat 3 territory and the wind speeds are still low Cat 1? I know central pressure isn't the only determining factor for wind speed, but it seems to me that winds should be significantly higher than 85mph given a pressure of 945mb...

Quick and dirty explanation, and a met will correct me if I'm wrong:

As the storm transitions to a post-tropical entity, the wind is dispersed further afield than in a hurricane. In a hurricane, the fastest winds are concentrated in the center. In this case, they're not.

To my understanding, the reader's digest version is that the wind isn't quite as fast in the center at the peak but, as I'm sure you've heard, high winds extend further from the center.

My goodness...last few frames give me shivers. She's re-firing at the core. I'm honestly scared. Not so much for just myself. For everybody.

http://www.ssd.noaa....s/flash-rb.html

Yeah, the re-development is just amazing. I had been figuring the modeled pressures were way too low and if it ended up around 970 that would be something.

This is genuinely concerning for coastal areas, and everyone else, I guess.

I'm starting to think a sub 940 landfall is on the verge of reality. May not be the highest winds ever but pressure records are going down in flames.

It is becoming quite possible, Gulf Stream must be fueling her big time

so much for the models being crazy with the pressures..

Yeah, no kidding right? Setting all time record low pressures, its amazing

Archived