• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

I'm not sure what to expect. While a pure tropical system landfalling near Delaware Bay would be less catastrophic this far north, the extratrop/hybrid factor clouds the issue.

ScottN, will flights be allowed into Boston Sunday? Fear for aircraft sequestration remains but if the aircraft in question is heading out that night it could happen.

In any case, NYC is in for the storm of most of the folks on this bb's life.

I am thinking like this , think back to 91, increase the wind speeds, increase the seas, fetch, surge, rainfall and power issues. Duration should be less or near. If we get any clearing we will max out potential in mixing, that is the scary part. Also folks inland like several have mentioned could be saying ah typical noreaster as the wind screams at 85 knots 1k off the ground

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking like this , think back to 91, increase the wind speeds, increase the seas, fetch, surge, rainfall and power issues. Duration should be less or near. If we get any clearing we will max out potential in mixing, that is the scary part. Also folks inland like several have mentioned could be saying ah typical noreaster as the wind screams at 85 knots 1k off the ground

Any sort of dry slotting rotating up around the storm from SSW to NNE WILL increase the the vertical momentum transfer. This is where track I think will be critical for one thing. I also think the models might be underdoing the dry slot potential to the southeast of the storm.

Anyone else a little shocked this thing dropped almost 15mb overnight??

11z 957 mb

vs.

0Z Euro 968 mb for 12z Sat

6z NAM 980 mb for 12z Sat

0Z GFS 972 mb for 12z Sat

0Z NOGAPS 980 mb for 12z Sat

Anyone have thoughts on the significantly lower pressure (dropped >10mb in 7 hours) compared to models, and what impact this may have on track?

It not only bombed out in the past 12 hours, but it's also significantly lower than progged by the models I listed above.

Running all the other threads, haven't found an answer to this, nor whether this is due to tropical strengthening with decreased shear vs. interaction with the trough. Or more importantly how this impacts track.

It not only bombed out in the past 12 hours, but it's also significantly lower than progged by the models I listed above.

Running all the other threads, haven't found an answer to this, nor whether this is due to tropical strengthening with decreased shear vs. interaction with the trough. Or more importantly how this impacts track.

I think it's both... there's a great outflow channel to the north... and the storm's inner core as tightened up and become a bit more warm core... meaning it's able to feed off the warmer SSTs better.

URNT12 KWBC 271320

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/12:52:53Z

B. 28 deg 47 min N

076 deg 27 min W

C. NA

D. 62 kt

E. 195 deg 55 nm

F. 312 deg 68 kt

G. 217 deg 14 nm

H. 962 mb

I. 13 C / 3668 m

J. 13 C / 3652

K. 8 / NA

L. SPIRAL BANDING

M. NA

N. 1234 / NA

O. 1/ 1

P. NOAA2 1418A SANDY OB 29

MAX FL WIND 68 KT SW QUAD 12:49:37Z

MAX FL TEMP 14 C 217 / 12 NM FROM FL CNTR

SONDE SPLASHED WITH WINDS 025/16 KTS

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter :axe: :axe:

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter axesmiley.pngaxesmiley.png

No kidding. And decided to continue tropical products up to VA border, making it even more confusing. It's like they're trying to have it both ways: maintain it as a tropical entity until landfall but issue non-tropical products.

Pressure drop is impressive, probably a result of tightening core, but likely not got to have an effect on winds. Seems we'll stay pretty steady somewhere b/w 70-80 mph through landfall.

No kidding. And decided to continue tropical products up to VA border, making it even more confusing. It's like they're trying to have it both ways: maintain it as a tropical entity until landfall but issue non-tropical products.

Pressure drop is impressive, probably a result of tightening core, but likely not got to have an effect on winds. Seems we'll stay pretty steady somewhere b/w 70-80 mph through landfall.

If we start dipping much more... say sub 950... winds probably will come up because the core is forecast to tighten and become more warm core and symmetrical. I wouldn't be shocked to see the storm regain cat 2 strength.

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter :axe: :axe:

Ryan do not know if you saw my posts this AM, in my small world the downgrade this AM caused a false sense of relief, shocked the impact that made. That being said I think everyone is aware.

Ryan do not know if you saw my posts this AM, in my small world the downgrade this AM caused a false sense of relief, shocked the impact that made. That being said I think everyone is aware.

I did... at least it's been reupgraded.

After Irene and October snowstorm I think the state is much better prepared. I'm hoping that we don't look at storms through the prism of Irene... this could be much worse.

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NHC will not be issuing watches/warnings. What a STUPID decision. Now we'll have a hodgepodge of watches and warnings from local offices. To make matters even worse... we'll likely be blanketed in a high wind warning which is no different then what we see 5 or 6 times a winter axesmiley.pngaxesmiley.png

I'm scratching my head too on this one. A definite reassessment of NOAA strategy in making this a "Weather Ready Nation" I think is in order. An interesting conundrum for sure..sort of like subtropical systems a "grey area" we couldn't deny their existence so we started naming them. IMO this storm is a grey area, too and needs to be addressed

They very might be;hopefully they are but I think when people hear High Wind Watch coastal flood watch etc the mentality does change to "OH we're getting a Nor'easter..I can deal with this."

I did... at least it's been reupgraded.

After Irene and October snowstorm I think the state is much better prepared. I'm hoping that we don't look at storms through the prism of Irene... this could be much worse.

Unfortunately for the area that presently (I know this could change) looks to have the most devastating impact (NYC / northern NJ / LI), the lay public is pretty skeptical. On this board we all appreciate how this is fundamentally different from Irene, but I'm not sure the public gets it and is over-reacting to TS vs. Cat 1. Will be interesting to see if Bloomberg makes a call to evacuate parts of Manhattan again if a central/northern NJ track happens.

As you said, this is all made so much worse by NHC leaving it up to local WFOs north of VA.

I'm scratching my head too on this one. A definite reassessment of NOAA strategy in making this a "Weather Ready Nation" I think is in order. An interesting conundrum for sure..sort of like subtropical systems a "grey area" we couldn't deny their existence so we started naming them. IMO this storm is a grey area, too and needs to be addressed

They very might be;hopefully they are but I think when people hear High Wind Watch coastal flood watch etc the mentality does change to "OH we're getting a Nor'easter..I can deal with this."

Grey area or not - there are times when you put aside rules and place public safety first. Just like NWS offices issuing large tornado warnings for land falling hurricanes. Is it a good idea? That can be debated. If this storm is of the intensity that many suspect it will be then there should be complete coordination and continuity with products and calls to action. Plain and simple - in my opinion.

Unfortunately, with our McDonald drive-through public mentality, you have to make everything plain and simple to understand. People hear key words - everything else is background noise to them.

We all knew that what happened with Irene would hurt the process down the road. Just didn't think it would be so soon.

If NHC does drop this ball then I think it could fundamentally change the agency. Questions will be raised. Hopefully, in the end, all of this is handled properly. We will see what happens. It is going to be a stressful forecast for all agencies involved - I am sure each agency is feeling the pressure. I don't envy any of them.

Archived