Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are an idiot.

I wouldn't go that far if he's never experienced a hurricane. So far, inland conditions aren't all that impressive. Just the way it goes. Strongest winds are confined to the coast.

Might get some really good inland gusts this evening, but til then it hasn't been all that interesting (for a hurricane) inland.

I wouldn't go that far if he's never experienced a hurricane. So far, inland conditions aren't all that impressive. Just the way it goes. Strongest winds are confined to the coast.

Might get some really good inland gusts this evening, but til then it hasn't been all that interesting (for a hurricane) inland.

Of course it hasn't yet. That's exactly my point. If you can't read a basic forecast, you don't get to post during Storm Mode.

Of course it hasn't yet. That's exactly my point. If you can't read a basic forecast, you don't get to post during Storm Mode.

What basic forecast? I mean, most forecasts just say "gusts up to such and such" without really specifying when. Plus, if you are inland and hearing all the reports of high gusts and flooding, you might wonder what's going on.

I remember being underwhelmed during the first several tropical storms/hurricanes that I remember that came up the coast in the 90s when I was kid. I always felt ripped off.

The average person, even some of the lesser weather weenies, don't understand the huge differences between coast and inland, particularly when it comes to wind.

National Weather Service Mount Holly, New Jersey: "Hurricane Sandy will strike our region directly. Options for it to miss us have run out. This is our worst case scenario. We are now completing our third high tide cycle with Hurricane Sandy. This high tide cycle was very destructive with major to record coastal flooding occurring. The barrier islands will be cut off from the mainland. Breaches in the barrier islands will likely occur during this evening’s high tide, as the center of Sandy approaches."

What basic forecast? I mean, most forecasts just say "gusts up to such and such" without really specifying when. Plus, if you are inland and hearing all the reports of high gusts and flooding, you might wonder what's going on.

I remember being underwhelmed during the first several tropical storms/hurricanes that I remember that came up the coast in the 90s when I was kid. I always felt ripped off.

The average person, even some of the lesser weather weenies, don't understand the huge differences between coast and inland, particularly when it comes to wind.

Agreed. I recall storms like Ernesto and Isabel being significantly windier at the Monmouth beach compared to here in Colts Neck. Difference of 20-25+mph sometimes.

Quite true. I remember the 92 NorEaster, power was out and pine trees were down in many places. When I drove to the shore the scene was one of cat 2 destruction with roofs blown off and utility poles down all over. Was nothing like that inland. The winds just won't mix down inland like the coast.

Archived