SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sandy Snow Chase(rs) - Major Snow Event

BeauDodson

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beau, thanks for coming out to document the storm. We enjoyed your company and hope to make use of all the pics you took.

THANKS for having us - you have an INCREDIBLE place there. Hidden gem. I would encourage others to come and visit your place.

I hope your recovery goes well in the coming days and weeks. The damage coming down the hill was extensive - tree and power line/poles. Reminded me of our 2008 ice storm. Not a good situation.

Thanks again!

EPIC pics! pimp.gif

Looks like they state/county did a good job clearing the roads.

If it did that here, we'd be shut down for a week, haha. When we got 1'+ in 2000, that's basically what happened (though the crews around here have gotten a lot better after that debacle)! lmaosmiley.gif

Of course, the backroads up in the "hollers" could take days to clear up in the WV mountains.

My wife and I decided to head up there today and there are still quite a few businesses closed. We stopped at the coffee shop in town as well as in town and took some pictures. Here are a few from 93 on the way into town with an afternoon temp of 31 degrees:

IMG_1686-1.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689-1.jpg

IMG_1690-1.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

Once we got into town we saw that things have cleaned up some, but an amazing amount of snow is still on the ground for early November:

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

Great photos, thanks for sharing, the third picture from the bottom is South Branch Mountain (near Moorefield) and the get away home I have for sale is in the forest in the middle of the picture. I had an 1" of snow there on raised surfaces as the solid snow cover literally on the top edge of my lot where 4" to 8" was common. santa.gif

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

And then I got a few shots of the contrast of the green versus snowy tops west of Moorefield:

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

It was a great day trip. I have to thank Beau for the inspiration to go.

Cool pics-- We had the blue snow after the Feb 10 events

12 inches Jan 30, 2 inches with .25 of r and zr on Feb 2, 6 inches snow, 2 inches sleet and some zr on feb 5-6 and 1 inch of mush on Feb 10th. = Blue snow. We didn't get the depth of DC but had the water content. My kids trampoline was touching bottom till I shoveled it.

Cool pics-- We had the blue snow after the Feb 10 events

12 inches Jan 30, 2 inches with .25 of r and zr on Feb 2, 6 inches snow, 2 inches sleet and some zr on feb 5-6 and 1 inch of mush on Feb 10th. = Blue snow. We didn't get the depth of DC but had the water content. My kids trampoline was touching bottom till I shoveled it.

Had some minimal blue snow action, but my location got smoked man,

Jan 30: 6"

Feb 2: 5.5"

Feb 5-6: 31.5"

Feb 9-10: 21"

Thats 12 days: 64" of snow, the meteo winter is dec 1-feb 28/29, a total of 90 days, and averaging 18 inches at BWI for the mean. I received almost 400% of my seasonal average, or 360 meteo winter days combined, in 12 days, or .03 (3.3 percent to be exact) of the time.

For the winter if you add 1.5" dec 5

1.2" new years, and of course 21.5" dec 18-19 plus some side events totaling a few inches my winter was 92" or in essence 511% of average. Overall, we'll never see it again.

Heard a report today on AM radio that this storm took down 3000 trees and 300 power poles just in Garrett County, Md.

Without giving numbers, the report also said that there were an inordinate amount of stranded motorists that had to be assisted and their cars moved to allow plows to keep open the roads.

Had some minimal blue snow action, but my location got smoked man,

Jan 30: 6"

Feb 2: 5.5"

Feb 5-6: 31.5"

Feb 9-10: 21"

Thats 12 days: 64" of snow, the meteo winter is dec 1-feb 28/29, a total of 90 days, and averaging 18 inches at BWI for the mean. I received almost 400% of my seasonal average, or 360 meteo winter days combined, in 12 days, or .03 (3.3 percent to be exact) of the time.

For the winter if you add 1.5" dec 5

1.2" new years, and of course 21.5" dec 18-19 plus some side events totaling a few inches my winter was 92" or in essence 511% of average. Overall, we'll never see it again.

LYH had 34.5 on the season, or what you had feb 5-6. We had a bottom top 10-- Dec 19th hurt-- models had us in 2 feet and the banding set up JUST north and west by 20 miles. 14 was good-- but 20 would have been better. CHO had 24 for example same storm.

LYH had 34.5 on the season, or what you had feb 5-6. We had a bottom top 10-- Dec 19th hurt-- models had us in 2 feet and the banding set up JUST north and west by 20 miles. 14 was good-- but 20 would have been better. CHO had 24 for example same storm.

Yeah Dec 19-20 was a good storm, I had 23.6 here, ended up that winter with 68.6 inches.

• 11 months later...

Archived