joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GGEM is further northeast. 948 low about to hit eastern LI.

2hxvioy.png

Wondering if there might be more to this NE trend on some of the models today. Euro will be important coming up (as always). Again, huge difference in impact between storm going south of you vs. north/east of you. Still time for adjustments to the track.

Wondering if there might be more to this NE trend on some of the models today. Euro will be important coming up (as always). Again, huge difference in impact between storm going south of you vs. north/east of you. Still time for adjustments to the track.

It's really only nogaps, ggem has been a bit more n and e.

I have a question and would appreciate it if some could explain. Since there r sharp cutoffs to the heaviest precip on the models, and it looks like a dry slot will develop over much of the area, will the strongest winds be able to mix down to the surface NE of landfall?

The SREF and GFS ticked further south from their previous runs, so probably not. Probably just normal model waffling before a storm arrives.

I have a question and would appreciate it if some could explain. Since there r sharp cutoffs to the heaviest precip on the models, and it looks like a dry slot will develop over much of the area, will the strongest winds be able to mix down to the surface NE of landfall?

That's a good question. I think winds will still be able to mix down without much help of precip, even some of the lightest precip could mix down some strong winds. But the winds in general, without any mixing should be at least 40-50mph sustained.

model divergence after 24 hours of convergence....ugh...gotta be kidding me...

AT least I correctly predicted one thing. I strongly favor the northern solution. Most Left turning noresters make the turn further north than expected. The snowiccane was a good 30-50 miles northeast.

So was 12/26/2010 when DC-BAL geot screwed. I also remember the 4/23 storm this year closed low going way further northeast. So toss the furthest south model, sorry GFS/Euro/DT goodbye.

GGEM sounds reasonable I'll take the second furthest north model of the UK GGEM GFS and EURO.

AT least I correctly predicted one thing. I strongly favor the northern solution. Most Left turning noresters make the turn further north than expected. The snowiccane was a good 30-50 miles northeast.

So was 12/26/2010 when DC-BAL geot screwed. I also remember the 4/23 storm this year closed low going way further northeast. So toss the furthest south model, sorry GFS/Euro/DT goodbye.

GGEM sounds reasonable I'll take the second furthest north model of the UK GGEM GFS and EURO.

Whatta bout 2/10/10 and 12/19/09?

Euro should be telling. If it shifts markedly NE there could be the start of something. If it doesn't shift that much, to me that says it's a blip. 12z tropical models also still show a south NJ hit for the most part.

GFS ensembles don't show any north shift at all-still a central NJ slam. Gotta think the remarkable consistency here between the GFS and Euro on a big hit there plus the tropical models says it's by far the most likely outcome. But there's still a good amount of time for a shift. The huge mass of this says to me that it won't turn on a dime back to the west-it should be more of a gradual turn.

GFS ensembles don't show any north shift at all-still a central NJ slam. Gotta think the remarkable consistency here between the GFS and Euro on a big hit there plus the tropical models says it's by far the most likely outcome. But there's still a good amount of time for a shift. The huge mass of this says to me that it won't turn on a dime back to the west-it should be more of a gradual turn.

Either way NYC is going to get hit. Just look at the windfield on the 12z gfs. Doesn't matter if it hits ACY or KBLM

That's a good question. I think winds will still be able to mix down without much help of precip, even some of the lightest precip could mix down some strong winds. But the winds in general, without any mixing should be at least 40-50mph sustained.

I would think the winds would mix down more efficiently if we were in a dry slot versus heavy precip.

Archived