• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Slashed budgets - NWS canceling events

BeauDodson

This came in from our local office today - they had already planned the event and invited people.

There have been other cuts in our area, as well. Lack of funding to do storm surveys. They have also cut the newspaper subscriptions. In the past, this regions NWS Offices received newspaper clippings from from a subscription server - the service would cut out storm reports or anything weather related (then the company mailed it to the offices). All of this will put a dent in local storm reports.

Other cuts are coming - of course.

I suspect eventually some offices will be closed and super offices will be opened.

It is with much regret that due to budget and travel restrictions within the National Weather Service, the National Weather Service in Paducah is having to cancel all of its 2012 Winter Weather Workshops. This includes the November 14 workshop in Cape Girardeau, MO, the November 15 workshop in Evansville, IN and the November 19 workshop in Grand Rivers, KY.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Rick Shanklin

Warning Coordination Meteorologist

NWS Paducah, KY

Yeah that is pretty sad. Unfortunately you are right, more is coming you can book it. As for combining offices into super offices- I think that is probably the next step for the NWS. They will probably have to spend some time researching how to logistically do it but within say three to five years I can see it. Just have the super office be able to tap into a doppler radar for specific areas to do warning issuance and so forth, but those super offices will probably need more staff...especially for severe weather situations.

I can't imagine, for example, St. Louis NWS having to handle their CWA then take on all/parts of the current CWA's for Paducah, Kansas City, Lincoln, Springfield, and Indianapolis. Especially during a major tornado outbreak. That would be a real disaster and could put a lot of lives at risk. The National Weather Service forecasters will become the new air traffic controllers from the early 80s that a certain president fired.

Gosh we hope not. I could see single state offices at one point down the road.

Not sure about that or about the super offices. For instance, when Huntsville's WSO closed in the '90s and BMX took over, there was a huge backlash that eventually led to the creation of the current Huntsville WFO. Each local rep is going to want their respective local WFO to become the state one, and in the end, I'm not sure that the state ones even happen.

Not sure about that or about the super offices. For instance, when Huntsville's WSO closed in the '90s and BMX took over, there was a huge backlash that eventually led to the creation of the current Huntsville WFO. Each local rep is going to want their respective local WFO to become the state one, and in the end, I'm not sure that the state ones even happen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the push, especially in the early 90's, to break up the "state WFO's" to balance workload and improve product, especially after the Plainfield tornado? Obviously, weather forecasting as a whole has improved, but I would I would be concerned about workload and quality of product with super offices.

Don't forget it was former senator Rick Santorum who tried to severely limit what the NWS could do back in 2005. He wanted the NWS to not be able to issue products, rather have private entities use NWS data for products they would issue. Fortunately that bill died, but could be troublesome if someone tries to revive something similar in congress.

I could see it proposed in Congress. Use existing infrastructure and contract the work out to accuweather or the highest bidder.

Indiana did it with their toll road. Built by the federal government, then maintained by the state through tolls. The state then leased the road to a foreign consortium for $3.8 billion for 75 years. Why wouldn't the feds try to do something similar with NWS?

The result would be a reduction in expenses (employees, upgrades, upkeep, etc) for the feds. The contracting company then would be required to provide the same services as NWS now provides. The contracting company would profit from using the NWS's state-of-the-art technology to offer specialized commercial products for customers.

It sucks, but I feel that it's a matter of time.

Anyone have any figures on how much it costs to run 1 office (say La Crosse) for a year?

A buddy of mine worked for the Federal Gov (grant writer)...The guy was constantly on edge over being cut...and at one point was ready to be unemployed (he now has a different job and his wife is a doctor!)>... Suck to work in that situation, especially if you have a family/kids.

I remember being a student worker at the nws in kmli in the late 90s and they were always sweating over budgets, position cuts, consolidation, etc. the mic always stressed to me to go into private work and not federal govt. I always thought the mics words were interesting. He may very well have had a point.

Don't forget it was former senator Rick Santorum who tried to severely limit what the NWS could do back in 2005. He wanted the NWS to not be able to issue products, rather have private entities use NWS data for products they would issue. Fortunately that bill died, but could be troublesome if someone tries to revive something similar in congress.

Isn't accuweather based in PA?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During the conference call last week, IWX announced that they will not be doing spotter training in person for each county in 2013. Instead, they will attempt to set up webinars. I asked about storm surveys and Micheal Lewis said that they are attempting to have enough money in the travel budget to do surveys, but at the cost of in-person training.

In 2014, they are going to have a training session for at least one person from each county to present the spotter training. Yours truly will probably be leading the training for Huntington County.

Archived