Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
ECMWF

NYCSuburbs

• 1 month later...

With the wunderground interactive map getting filled with lots of fancy-looking graphics and ads (which I assume is related to TWC?), I'm looking again for a site with more ECM data that's not on the free site list. I've heard of a few such as Storm Vista (I think it's called something like that) and the Accuweather Pro maps; which one would be the most recommended based on the price and the quality?

With the wunderground interactive map getting filled with lots of fancy-looking graphics and ads (which I assume is related to TWC?), I'm looking again for a site with more ECM data that's not on the free site list. I've heard of a few such as Storm Vista (I think it's called something like that) and the Accuweather Pro maps; which one would be the most recommended based on the price and the quality?

You could also try: http://models.weatherbell.com/

StormVistaWxModels is pretty good. They have the hands-down the BEST model viewer for watching data come in - the latest projection is loaded as soon as it's created. Really neat. They have some good maps (eg. their MSLP/Precip/850 0C/Surface 32F map), but they really don't have many maps. Great for at-a-glace things, but for anything beyond the most popular parameters, you're out of luck. It's $30/month, and cheaper for the annual subscription. You need to make a PayPal account to subcribe. I subcribe occasionally during the winter months.

AccuWeather Pro is great. Their model viewer ('the animator') is by the best way to do serious weather analysis. Dozens of useful parameters and plotted. It's not the most polished site, but it gets the job done well. No better way to compare models to each other or run-to-run. (I believe they bought the entire model viewer from Michael Sager.) AccuWx Pro has much more than just model images: you can get point text extraction of model data (aka Direct Model Output, or DMO), plus radar/satellite/etc. For $25/month, it's not a bad deal.

I haven't used WeatherBell extensively, but for $17/month you get very pretty looking maps. I'm not sure about how many parameters you get, but it's the only model site that's under active development at the moment, so their product suite will only continue to grow. My biggest complaint would be it's not a site for low-bandwidth users, but that usually isn't a problem for most people.

If you are willing to pay about $10/month, and wait about an hour or more after free graphics show up here or the ECMWF.int website, AccuWx has a PPV service, Euro maps at 6 hour increments, things like winds at a bunch of levels 10 meters to the top, CAPE, even forecast skew-Ts, although the images are smaller than sites like NIU that allow viewing forecast skew-Ts from the NAM and GFS.

I don't know a free site where you can see rainfall or see the Euro in 6 hour increments...

I see $25 a month mentioned above, which is possible. I signed up (used to read Bastardi daily on the free site) as soon as the PPV was offered, and have the introductory rate...

If you are willing to pay about $10/month, and wait about an hour or more after free graphics show up here or the ECMWF.int website, AccuWx has a PPV service, Euro maps at 6 hour increments, things like winds at a bunch of levels 10 meters to the top, CAPE, even forecast skew-Ts, although the images are smaller than sites like NIU that allow viewing forecast skew-Ts from the NAM and GFS.

I don't know a free site where you can see rainfall or see the Euro in 6 hour increments...

I see $25 a month mentioned above, which is possible. I signed up (used to read Bastardi daily on the free site) as soon as the PPV was offered, and have the introductory rate...

Weather Underground has 2m temps/dews, QPF, CAPE, and cloud layers all at 3 hourly intervals for free. The ad-free portion of the site is cheap and I get it for free by uploading my own station data.

Archived