• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wxjim207

The Lyndon State College AMS&NWA Executive Board is happy to announce the 3 main speakers for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. March 8-10, 2013.

Friday Night "Ice Breaker": Stephen Bennett, J.D.

"Stephen (Steve) Bennett, J.D. is a founding partner and Chief Science and Products Officer for EarthRisk Technologies. Steve's leadership role includes directing EarthRisk's product pipeline as well as providing strategic guidance for the company’s research portfolio. He also manages the EarthRisk development team and is the company liaison with university researchers around the world. EarthRisk provides software as a solution for analysts who link weather to business decisions. EarthRisk's research goes into the proverbial “black hole” for predicting weather more than one week in advance. We pioneer "big data" for weather analysis by leveraging the power of cloud computing to perform millions of statistical calculations each day. EarthRisk's products link past weather events to future forecast outcomes in real time. We provide data-driven probabilistic forecasts for extreme temperature events up to 40-days ahead. Prior to founding EarthRisk, Steve spent three years at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego where he forged relationships linking earth systems research to energy, insurance, and financial firms. Steve has been a meteorologist since 1995, forecasting the weather and applying weather research for financial investing and media applications. He served six years at Citadel Investment Group, a hedge fund in Chicago, where he was part of the team that built and launched Citadel's Global Energy Trading business. Steve also spent nearly two years at the Enron Corporation in the research division supporting natural gas trading. The first half of his career spanned a variety of consulting companies and media outlets including The Weather Channel, WeatherData Inc. and Weather Services Corporation. Steve completed his undergraduate meteorology degree in 1995 from the University of South Alabama and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the John Marshall Law School in 2008. He is currently the chairman of the American Meteorological Society's Energy Committee on the AMS Board for Enterprise and Economic Development and Commission for the Weather and Climate Enterprise."

Saturday Night Banquet Speaker: Dr. Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux

An applied climatologist by training, Dr. Dupigny-Giroux's research interests intersect a number of interdisciplinary fields including hydroclimatic natural hazards and climate literacy as well as the use of remote sensing and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) in the fields of spatial climate and land-surface processes. In terms of hazards, she has examined the spectre of drought in both semiarid environments in northeast Brazil, as well as humid continental ones like northeastern North America. Earlier work in the Journal of the American Water Resources Association outlines the climatic underpinnings of drought in Vermont and shall be used as part of a national effort to develop a North American-wide definition of drought. Her recently published work includes guest editing a special issue of the journal Physical Geography, devoted to the theme of climate literacy. Other publications (e.g. Remote Sensing of Environment) delve into the use of multiangular imaging to examine drought stress in New England wetlands. Finally, Dr. Dupigny-Giroux is the lead editor of Historical climate variability and impacts in North America, the first monograph of its kind to deal with the use of documentary and other ancillary records in the analysis of climate variability and change. Dr. Dupigny-Giroux is also the State Climatologist for Vermont, a role which has allowed her to facilitate dialogue among meteorology, climatology, emergency management, agriculture, forestry and GIS users across the state. She continues to work closely with colleagues at these and other state agencies to better quantify the causal dynamic and impacts of floods, droughts and severe weather on Vermont’s physical landscape. Dr. Dupigny-Giroux teaches introductory courses in physical geography and geotechniques. Her intermediate and advanced level courses include topics on Climatology, Remote Sensing, Advanced GIS Applications, and Satellite Climatology and Land-Surfaces Processes. She holds a B.S. in Physical Geography and Development Studies from the University of Toronto (1989), an M.S.(1992) in Climatology and Hydrology and a Ph.D. (1996) in Climatology and Geographic Information Systems from McGill University."

Sunday Morning Speaker: Meteorologist Kevin Skarupa

"Meteorologist, Kevin Skarupa, can be seen weekdays from 5 to 7 a.m. on News 9 Daybreak with Erin Fehlau and Sean McDonald, then on News 9 at Noon. Kevin earned a meteorology degree from Lyndon State College in Vermont and currently holds both the AMS Television Seal of Approval and the Certified Broadcast Meteorologist seal. Kevin has also worked for KIMT in Mason City, Iowa; WPBF in West Palm Beach, Fla.; and WKRN in Nashville. If he looks familiar, it’s because Kevin worked at WMUR back in 1998 doing weekend weather under the name "Kevin Joseph." His favorite part of the job is visiting dozens of schools a year and talking with students about weather. The toughest part is the alarm clock, which goes off around 1 a.m. Kevin enjoys playing golf, running and watching sports. He and his wife Melissa (a Merrimack native) have a son, Levi, and miniature beagle, Shilo."

Never been to the Northeastern Storm Conference?

The Northeastern Storm Conference is the largest soley Student Run Conference in the entire country. It is put on by the Lyndon State College American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association club. For more information on the Northeastern Storm Conference and much much more visit our website on-line at http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams

Any questions, comments or concerns regards to the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference please feel free to email me [email protected]

THANKS!

James

Lyndon State College AMS&NWA - Vice President

When I first came to Lyndon State I didn't see myself planning a conference for one, I didn't think I would get a lot of experience and learn a lot outside of the classroom but now being a Student Broadcast Meteorologist at News 7 LSC-TV, Meeting Great Friends through my first NESC in 2009 and since then. Listening to talks, chatting with professionals its completely unbelievable how much Meteorology & personal skills I have learned through conferences. I am hoping to attend the National AMS Conference in Austin this year to add to it. Just a little bit about me there.. lol How are the classes going down there at Plymouth?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!!!!

Register NOW for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. Registrations are due before Feb 14... Any registration after this date will be subjected to a $10 late fee. Here is the rates

Hotel Cost: SPECIAL $79/night (Conference is 2 nights) *Ends Feb 16*

Registration Costs:

All Proceeds: Registration, Breakfasts, Lunch, and Banquet - $160.00 per Professional / $150.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Breakfasts - $150.00 per Professional / $140.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Saturday Lunch - $155.00 per Professional / $145.00 per Student.
All Proceeds without Banquet - $130.00 per Professional / $120.00 per Student.
Registration and Breakfasts - $105.00 per Professional / $95.00 per Student.
Registration and Lunch - $100.00 per Professional / $90.00 per Student.
Registration and Banquet - $120.00 per Professional / $110.00 per Student.
Registration Only - $90.00 per Professional / $80.00 per Student.

Guest Charges:
Price for 2 breakfasts: $25.00 per person
Price for Saturday lunch: $25.00 per person
Price for the Banquet only: $35.00 per person

Discounts:
Paper Presentation - $10.00
Poster Presentation - $5.00

Can't wait to see ya!!!! 

EVERYONE HEADS UP!!!

Registration Late Fees will be placed on Registrations after today.... REGISTER NOW for the 38th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference in Rutland Vermont. 

*Any Lyndon Alumni*

Make sure you attend the alumni session because Jebril Postle (President) and myself have so important news

Visit our website for the latest!!! (http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/ams)

I'll be one of two freshman at Plymouth attending from our amazing freshman class of 9. lol

9, wow, thats low for a freshman class. I think we graduated about 9 original members. We started with 50-something and went down to maybe 20-something at the end of freshman year. Physics cut that number a bit sophomore year and rolled some back and then dynamics did in a few more.

Why only 2 going from your class? I think almost our entire freshman class went for little or no money. Is it a money issue nowadays or are people just not interested?

9? Really? That's surprising lol we have like 25, which was 52 at the beginning of the year haha

9, wow, thats low for a freshman class. I think we graduated about 9 original members. We started with 50-something and went down to maybe 20-something at the end of freshman year. Physics cut that number a bit sophomore year and rolled some back and then dynamics did in a few more.

Why only 2 going from your class? I think almost our entire freshman class went for little or no money. Is it a money issue nowadays or are people just not interested?

We started out with 15 this year and lost 5 (maybe 6?) just from first semester. Most classes at Plymouth over the past few years started with 30-35 and graduated 12-15...so this is definitely unusual. It is a little disappointing honestly, I don't mind a small class but 9 is really small. I might graduate with like 5 or 6 haha.

And unfortunately its lack of interest...we only have to pay $45. It's such a steal, and such a good experience. I even went last year when I was a senior in high school. I tried to tell people to go but no one wants to. It sucks honestly because I'd rather have more people who were interested in going. At least we have one other freshman going who is a good friend of mine.

We started out with 15 this year and lost 5 (maybe 6?) just from first semester. Most classes at Plymouth over the past few years started with 30-35 and graduated 12-15...so this is definitely unusual. It is a little disappointing honestly, I don't mind a small class but 9 is really small. I might graduate with like 5 or 6 haha.

And unfortunately its lack of interest...we only have to pay $45. It's such a steal, and such a good experience. I even went last year when I was a senior in high school. I tried to tell people to go but no one wants to. It sucks honestly because I'd rather have more people who were interested in going. At least we have one other freshman going who is a good friend of mine.

$45 is a fookin steal bro. LSC AMS members pay $100 lol

Still ctsnowstorm $100 is cheaper than what it could cost.

2 nights at $79/night = $158 + Taxes (10%)

Banquet Meal = $35

Registration & Supplies = $70

2 Breakfasts = $25

Lunch = $20

So at least $310ish 

We try to keep prices low for everyone! The more people come to the conference the less likelihood prices go up! 

Still ctsnowstorm $100 is cheaper than what it could cost.

2 nights at $79/night = $158 + Taxes (10%)

Banquet Meal = $35

Registration & Supplies = $70

2 Breakfasts = $25

Lunch = $20

So at least $310ish

We try to keep prices low for everyone! The more people come to the conference the less likelihood prices go up!

Well yeah, but $45? That's crazy cheap. But they aren't the ones putting on the conference and paying for everything out of a relatively small budget, so I guess it makes sense.

Well yeah, but $45? That's crazy cheap. But they aren't the ones putting on the conference and paying for everything out of a relatively small budget, so I guess it makes sense.

I think its subsidized and their local AMS chapter pays for part of it, keeping the costs of the individual students down.

Archived