Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The average joe doesn't know the difference.

True. When was the last time you heard a media met say "The National Weather Service has issued...blah blah". All the stations here say "We now have a severe thunderstorm warning in effect for...blah blah". Sneaky!

AccuWx will undoubtedly unveil their own naming conventions soon since there is no way they will use TWC naming conventions. Let the public confusion begin.

maybe not.

Cross Marketing of one product is seen in many other industries. If TWC makes winter storms say 50% more popular or profitbable since accuweather carries or covers the same product by chance it's likely there popularity will go up too.

Sports property owners do this. I once exchanged emails with a talking head from ESPN who told me they decided to start showing NHL highlights with Versus on the property and even started to promote big NHL games because ratings during NHL segments went up, and their webpage hits went up directly corresponding even with a lag in the number to NHL on Versus ratings going up.

So in essence the old Win WIn!

To avoid accuweather doing this, they might going forward strike some sort of agreement to ensure accuweather get's inside knowledge to when the storm is named to they have time to prep there graphics but also say they have to wait 5 min or 10 min before unveiling them.

I would be shocked if Accuweather actually lost hits or subs if this became a popular thing. Because while TWC makes the names in the market place they can't copyright.

In this situation I Would think the lesser popular weather outlet has more to lose when it comes to confusing the public rather than riding the coattails of the larger company to higher profits for all.

Great news! I've been hoping either the NWS or a major private sector would do this! Yes the subjectivity attm is kinda lame, but I'm sure the test trial and a definite scale will come apparent at somepoint in the future. I really really really hope they track individual storms and make a plot map so I can document the individual tracked storms for historical purposes. I honestly would LOVE for there to actually be some kinda of flight by the NWS for very strong winter storms to get some good measurements. I have always liked the NESIS scale, but knew it was lacking some things that could make the winter season alot more fun to track. Hopefully they show individual model runs too when naming a storm to compare all projected tracks and accumulations :) :)

I also hope this leads to yearly analysis by TWC for comparisons of why said year only produced 15 vs 27 storms one year. If they need to expand the name list, so be it, I'd rather have a documents track history of all winter storms whether weak or strong anyways so I can do an indepth study on individual storms. Maybe even someone could do a renalysis of all winter storms in the past and do some kind of categorization like they do with pre satelite tropical storms.

maybe not.

Cross Marketing of one product is seen in many other industries. If TWC makes winter storms say 50% more popular or profitbable since accuweather carries or covers the same product by chance it's likely there popularity will go up too.

It'll be a cold day in hell before AccuWx accepts TWC's names. They chafe at using NHC's names half the time!

Anyway, I'll add that we're not talking about some silly frivolous sports franchise that essentially means nothing. We're talking about storms that cripple regional transportation and totally disrupt the work and school schedules for millions. Not to mention those who end up in accidents etc because of the storm. And those few who might actually die from it. No, the popularity of winter storms is unlikely to increase. Those who like them will still like them, those who hate them will hate them. Winter Storm coverage has always been highly rated, I don't think this will make a big dent. As others have said, this mainly serves to drive extra attention to TWC now, before the season has even started.

Winter storms are hard to classify. Some crippling events aren't even "storms", but just stretched out stationary fronts.

But hey, if they want to try this out, all power to them. Good luck sustaining it.

My only problem is this was done purely for profit as opposed to actual benefit to society. TWC playing it off as anything else is disingenuous.

Beyond that, it is a great marketing ploy, and I bet they are loving all the attention. Waiting to see if the potential northern plains storm later this week, which will affect no more than 50,000 people, will get a name.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't think there is a huge benefit to society nor is there a detriment. It's a great marketing idea and pretty clever.

They did say the decisions would be made based on impacted population so I'm sure the northern Plains storm won't make the cut.

True. When was the last time you heard a media met say "The National Weather Service has issued...blah blah". All the stations here say "We now have a severe thunderstorm warning in effect for...blah blah". Sneaky!

Well, it's left up to us half the time to figure out which severe thunderstorm warning is a true risk to life and/or property and which warnings will wind up producing pea size hail and a downpour.

In general I try not to focus on NWS watches/warnings/advisories because in general people don't understand what they mean and they really don't convey the threat or impact to a given location.

Anyway, I'll add that we're not talking about some silly frivolous sports franchise that essentially means nothing. We're talking about storms that cripple regional transportation and totally disrupt the work and school schedules for millions. Not to mention those who end up in accidents etc because of the storm. And those few who might actually die from it. No, the popularity of winter storms is unlikely to increase. Those who like them will still like them, those who hate them will hate them. Winter Storm coverage has always been highly rated, I don't think this will make a big dent. As others have said, this mainly serves to drive extra attention to TWC now, before the season has even started.

Winter storms are hard to classify. Some crippling events aren't even "storms", but just stretched out stationary fronts.

But hey, if they want to try this out, all power to them. Good luck sustaining it.

Great post.

No one knows how TORCON is developed so don't hold your breath.

Unfortunately the SPC convective outlooks or probabilities make much sense to anyone in the public. Obviously they're not designed for the average weather consumer but I'm shocked at how many weather people show them as a graphic in a weathercast.

Well, it's left up to us half the time to figure out which severe thunderstorm warning is a true risk to life and/or property and which warnings will wind up producing pea size hail and a downpour.

In general I try not to focus on NWS watches/warnings/advisories because in general people don't understand what they mean and they really don't convey the threat or impact to a given location.

People don't know what they mean? You don't tell them that a storm capable of producing damaging winds and/or hail is what the severe thunderstorm warning is for?

Unfortunately the SPC convective outlooks or probabilities make much sense to anyone in the public. Obviously they're not designed for the average weather consumer but I'm shocked at how many weather people show them as a graphic in a weathercast.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the SPC products being used for public consumption -- shoot, plenty of local mets don't even know what the percentages mean. That cat's out of the bag though. I would hope someday the slight/mod/high distinctions will go away and become something more useful for communication. In that sense the numbers for TORCON are perhaps better.

People don't know what they mean? You don't tell them that a storm capable of producing damaging winds and/or hail is what the severe thunderstorm warning is for?

Frequently we get storms that aren't capable of producing 50 knot winds/1" hail that are warned.

But that's beside the point.

The vast number of watches/warnings/advisories, particularly for winter storms, are very hard to understand/explain to a viewer in a 2:30 weather segment. People care about how much snow, when it will arrive, and what their commute would be like. Winter weather advisory, winter storm watch, winter storm warning.... who cares. That tells 99% of viewers absolutely nothing that's important to planning their day.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the SPC products being used for public consumption -- shoot, plenty of local mets don't even know what the percentages mean. That cat's out of the bag though. I would hope someday the slight/mod/high distinctions will go away and become something more useful for communication. In that sense the numbers for TORCON are perhaps better.

Agreed.

I don't use the SPC probs on-air... I don't see them serving much of a purpose.

Lol...no, warnings are not verified with dead tree limbs. Nice try tho.

Who is your servicing WFO?

We have 3 and for the most part they all do a great job.

Either way this wasn't really what I was talking about... It was more about the winter/long fused warnings/watches/and advisories.

I'm fine with TWC naming storms... I think some people take all this stuff a bit too seriously. I don't see a huge downside that's all.

Frequently we get storms that aren't capable of producing 50 knot winds/1" hail that are warned.

But that's beside the point.

The vast number of watches/warnings/advisories, particularly for winter storms, are very hard to understand/explain to a viewer in a 2:30 weather segment. People care about how much snow, when it will arrive, and what their commute would be like. Winter weather advisory, winter storm watch, winter storm warning.... who cares. That tells 99% of viewers absolutely nothing that's important to planning their day.

This is disappointing, especially coming from a TV Met.

I'm fine with TWC naming storms... I think some people take all this stuff a bit too seriously. I don't see a huge downside that's all.

I think it's dumb but it's not horrible. My questions revolve more around why they did not work with agencies/others on something like this. Given the push for a 'weather ready nation' etc., seems a broader initiative would have made more sense. Perhaps the gov bureaucracy is a non starter.. tho they were quick to run that "random idea" for tornado warning tests that was as or more confusing than this could possibly be.

It smacks of arrogance... I think that's been emanating from the organization for a while now though as their "return to what works" has happened. They have some really great talent at this point.. at least as far as broadcast types go. I guess they deserve to feel good about themselves, but if they aren't careful they'll start to get an AccuWx type rep. Not sure that's the direction they should want to go.

It's going to be super funny if/when they name a storm that doesn't happen. I also don't see how they can totally ignore a big anomalous storm in lesser populated areas if they want the convention to have much meaning.

This is disappointing, especially coming from a TV Met.

I should have been more clear. I think in general the winter weather advisories don't really communicate a threat well. Severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado warnings, or flash flood warnings, on the other hand do a better job (but still not great).

I do think, and this has been litigated many times over and over, that in general even with a short fused convective event we need to do a better job separating truly unusually severe events (say the DC derecho) from a run of the mill SVR that produces isolated damage.

I think the NWS has done a great job recently heading to more impact based stuff and I hope that continues. All the NWS offices around here have also done a really nice job with improved coordination thanks to things like NWS Chat. It's been an impressive change for the better in recent years IMO.

I don't see a huge benefit for winter weather advisories, winter storm watches, etc. I think they don't do a great job answering the questions... how much/when/what will the impact be.

Alot of whiners on here. All this does is adds more attention to winter storms, which is what I want from TWC. If this provides more in depth analysis of winter storms and tracks, naming a system will make me a happy person. This is only a good thing, who cares if this money motivated? More than likely this will benefit the winter weenies. If I have multiple tracked storms coming up the east coast to referance because the weather channel started documenting and following all named storms, this is only a win win.

Negative effects? It's going to add 100 pages to every impending winter storm event on this site. Moderators, prepare to separate posters fighting over whether and when a developing storm needs to be named. Banter thread? Regional thread? TWC isn't the only one who will need a policy, lol!

Meanwhile, a sad commentary on our educational system - no Boreus? Zephyrus? We may have gone too far in dissing the humanities.

I don't see a huge benefit for winter weather advisories, winter storm watches, etc. I think they don't do a great job answering the questions... how much/when/what will the impact be.

What more do you want?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST

SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL AND EASTERN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...BEGINNING EARLY FRIDAY MORNING FROM THE SOUTH...WITH

SNOW HEAVIEST DURING THE MID-MORNING THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON

HOURS. UPSLOPE SNOW INTO THE GREEN MOUNTAINS WILL CONTINUE

THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...FOR THE MORNING HOURS ON INTO EARLY AFTERNOON

FRIDAY...AREA ROADWAYS WILL BE HAZARDOUS DUE TO SLICK

CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE MID 20S. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...1 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES IN MODERATE TO BRIEFLY

HEAVY SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

What more do you want?

Yeah the NWS has done a great job with moving to more impact based statements. I still don't think showing an actual winter storm watch/winter storm warning/winter weather advisory does a whole lot of good. I'd rather spend that time going through the impacts than showing a map of who is under what advisory.

Yeah the NWS has done a great job with moving to more impact based statements. I still don't think showing an actual winter storm watch/winter storm warning/winter weather advisory does a whole lot of good. I'd rather spend that time going through the specific warnings and advisories.

The good thing someone like you can do, is at least give your thoughts on a watch or warning. For instance we know that even though your SE viewing area is under a some sort of severe watch....you feel confident they don't have to worry, so you therefore add value to the forecast. You have enough knowledge not to concern viewers in that part of the watch.

Archived