• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

Congrats to TWC burning a name off on a storm that will give Philly and NYC an inch of snow...if that.

I was thinking the same thing. What a joke. They are horrible. Last night there map had 3-6 inches for "Winter Storm Freyr" along I-95, this morning it is essentially zippo and from the looks of it that might be generous.

They named a storm that is going to bring 3-6 inches to upstate NY. LOL

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to TWC burning a name off on a storm that will give Philly and NYC an inch of snow...if that.

Yeah, but we had almost a half inch of rain with gusts to 25 here. Very unusual, stormy weather. Worthy of a name. I can now use a storm name with my grandkids someday rather than some faceless half inch storm that occurs several times a month. That's gotta be worth somethin' ...

:axe: to TWC.

I was thinking the same thing. What a joke. They are horrible. Last night there map had 3-6 inches for "Winter Storm Freyr" along I-95, this morning it is essentially zippo and from the looks of it that might be generous.

They named a storm that is going to bring 3-6 inches to upstate NY. LOL

Yeah, but it's been almost 3 days since the Upstate got so much snow. Memories fade with these historical events, oops decadel events, oops seasonal events, oops weekly events, you know ...

This is why it's ridiculous, normal weather patterns aren't noteworthy enough to be named, if they actually did this empirically and named every mid-latitude cyclone above a certain threshold we would go through several alphabets in a year. Tropical cyclones are much less frequent so naming makes more sense. And that ignores the fact that they name things based on numerical model forecasts before the actual winter storm even exists, that's like if the NHC named every storm that developed on the GFS before it happened.

Everyone I've talked to about this thinks it's stupid, mostly non-meteorologists too.

Which is exactly why it's spelled "Gandolf". Tolkein's estate ought to sue TWC regardless over that one.

I watched some 4am TWC Sunday morning and the OCM seemed to be having a tough time distinguishing between "system #1" (I guess it isn't Draco, but some clipper or offshoot behind it in the Northeast?) and "system #2" (now named Euclid, aka "The Big Christmas Storm"). God I miss Dave Schwartz. sad.png

Gandalf is actually a name from Norse mythology.

Gandalf, which means "wand elf" or "magic elf" in Old Norse, appears in the "Catalogue of Dwarves"....

- this is directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien%27s_influences

Apparently, we slept through Winter Storm Gandolf:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-gandolf-20130109

Edit:  Looks like Blizzard Aaron as named in the previous post is the same storm as Winter Storm Gandolf.  Talk about confusing!

and now we're on to Dangerous Winter Storm Helen, which is threatening life and property everywhere throughout the 1-3"  coverage zone.  And yes, that's TWC's description of Helen, not mine.

map_specnews37_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.

If they had a SS scale for snow storms would this be a Cat -3?

indeed! 

I can see it coming: Dangerous Helen: The story of a boy and his dog lost during the Great Cat-3 of January 2013.  An off-broadway production.  A SpikeTV movie.  And a graphic novel.  And at last, the musical.

Archived