• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

Uh.. no. You sound like you're perfectly content with risking people's lives just to give X private company the opportunity to issue their own warnings. Either that or you overestimate the average person. The immature sarcasm is noted, too.

No, I'm just sick of a society being held back because ignorant people can't research knowledge and inform themselves. This risking people's lives is a misnomer. The only way saturating the public with information is going to risk peoples lives is the potential to have desensitisation. And desensitisation is a form of ignorance anyways and shouldn't be coddled to. An awared individual is going to know who and not to trust. So yes in a way I'm ok with the private company to do what they want when it comes to weather. Appealing to the ignorant masses does more harm to society than not letting the private weather entities compete with the government weather.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for capitalism...I'm as fiscally republican as anyone....but this is a terrible idea. Why the hell would we want to cause such confusion? I mean there is a limit to warning people about something that is not consumer-related. Weather is something everyone needs to watch out for. We don't have several police agencies watching the streets at night...we should have a trust-worthy source who has well-trained competent employees when it comes to weather warnings.

I'm totally for issuing forecasts that are better than the NWS (what do you think I do) that are more specialized or focus on a particular variable. But public warnings shouldn't be spewed all over the place....because if they were, we would get the cry wolf syndrome. NWS already has enough trouble with that as it is.

Thats the thing, the people that know me know I hate capitalism and I'm hardly anything that could be called republican. I'm for healthy competition and believe competition is the source of sharing information and awareness. I don't believe in patents, I think patents are the key that destroys a society from advancing. Although choosing on who and what products to buy is still the key to complete freedom and that applies to weather also. Yes I hate profits and think profits should be shared alot better than they are, but to deny a private entity to compete with a government agency is wrong. Again the cry wolf syndrome isn't my fault nor a companies fault, I can't help it if someone doesn't understand a process and what different things mean. More than likely a company that is having horrible varification scores won't be a private entity for much longer when competing against the NWS. So to say spewed all over the place isn't going to be as bad as you guys make it out to seem.

No, I'm just sick of a society being held back because ignorant people can't research knowledge and inform themselves. This risking people's lives is a misnomer. The only way saturating the public with information is going to risk peoples lives is the potential to have desensitisation. And desensitisation is a form of ignorance anyways and shouldn't be coddled to. An awared individual is going to know who and not to trust. So yes in a way I'm ok with the private company to do what they want when it comes to weather. Appealing to the ignorant masses does more harm to society than not letting the private weather entities compete with the government weather.

Hey Einstein...when these private weather agencies are issuing warnings, what radar network will they be utilizing? They wont be able to change the parameters on Nexrads like clutter suppression, VCPs, and PRT on the fly. How will they then be able to issue valid warnings?

Hey Einstein...when these private weather agencies are issuing warnings, what radar network will they be utilizing? They wont be able to change the parameters on Nexrads like clutter suppression, VCPs, and PRT on the fly. How will they then be able to issue valid warnings?

Thats the thing, they probably won't for a while until a private agency has enough capital to have its own independent working system. I'm sure companies like GE would more than have the means to prop up a private weather company however.

Thats the thing, they probably won't for a while until a private agency has enough capital to have its independent working system. I'm sure companies like GE would more than have the means to prop up a private weathe company however.

Yeah...I imagine GE wouldn't mind spending hundreds of billions to trillions developing, installing, maintaining, and interogating a redundant Nexrad system. That would be a pretty easy sell to the board I'm sure.

There's so much potential money to be made in issuing warnings that private companies are going to shell out a million dollars in upfront costs per 88D just to have the opportunity, right?

Edit: in other words, wa wa hundreds of millions of dollars in upfront money wa wa

:lol:

Yeah...I imagine GE wouldn't mind spending hundreds of billions to trillions developing, installing, maintaining, and interogating a redundant Nexrad system. That would be a pretty easy sell to the board I'm sure.

There's so much potential money to be made in issuing warnings that private companies are going to shell out a million dollars in upfront costs per 88D just to have the opportunity, right?

No, so I have no idea why you would be even remotely worried about it right now. However this is just in practical theory, because someday weather won't be as nationalised as it is right now.

Thats the thing, the people that know me know I hate capitalism and I'm hardly anything that could be called republican. I'm for healthy competition and believe competition is the source of sharing information and awareness. I don't believe in patents, I think patents are the key that destroys a society from advancing. Although choosing on who and what products to buy is still the key to complete freedom and that applies to weather also. Yes I hate profits and think profits should be shared alot better than they are, but to deny a private entity to compete with a government agency is wrong. Again the cry wolf syndrome isn't my fault nor a companies fault, I can't help it if someone doesn't understand a process and what different things mean. More than likely a company that is having horrible varification scores won't be a private entity for much longer when competing against the NWS. So to say spewed all over the place isn't going to be as bad as you guys make it out to seem.

So in other words you promote capitalism to the extreme.

Your idea is awful. Again, this is coming from a fiscal republican. I don't want to make this thread too political...that doesn't belong here, But you make it very hard to state your case saying that "people shouild be able to decide".

I agree people should decide a lot of things, but you are clearly ignorant of the processes that construct warnings in the NWS and also how people react to them. You don't know any of this stuff. I am not privy to the exact nature of people's reaction either, but I do know that most NWS employees are competent.

Your idea is awful. Again, this is coming from a fiscal republican. I don't want to make this thread too political...that doesn't belong here, But you make it very hard to state your case saying that "people shouild be able to decide".

I agree people should decide a lot of things, but you are clearly ignorant of the processes that construct warnings in the NWS and also how people react to them. You don't know any of this stuff. I am not privy to the exact nature of people's reaction either, but I do know that most NWS employees are competent.

I'll stop, I've been trolling. This topic was easy troll material, but its becoming boring I guess. I normally don't troll very often but I thought I would give it a try :) Carry on

I could never say this with a straight face!

I'll stop, I've been trolling. This topic was easy troll material, but its becoming boring I guess. I normally don't troll very often but I thought I would give it a try :) Carry on

You should honestly be suspended for acting like a moron.

Should have seen that coming. I still prefer Ji's trolling, a real master he is.

OOo you liked it :) I'm not good with ad hominem attacks, so I struggled with the waa waa comebacks :P I may seem uneducated at times, but I really love to debate about anything, I just like to play head games to see how confident people are in their stances.

OOo you liked it :) I'm not good with ad hominem attacks, so I struggled with the waa waa comebacks :P I may seem uneducated at times, but I really love to debate about anything, I just like to play head games to see how confident people are in their stances.

See ya in 24 hours.

Make sure you drink some water when you sober up.

More than the skill level though is the idea of having warnings come from an entity that is inherently reliant on profits, which is, for fairly obvious reasons, a horrible idea.

Competition is good. People do not continue to buy products that are misleading or "suck" if there are better options available.

Archived