Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Look at that.  I wonder if other small media markets are just doing their own thing, and naming whatever they please, however they please.

Chaos!

Thank God it's not this way with tropical cyclones.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've lived in Grand Forks for several years and The Grand Forks Herald has a very objective criteria for naming Blizzards.  There has to be a blizzard warning issued by the NWS for at least one county in the newspaper's coverage area.  Simple enough.  The geographical area is small enough that the locals can relate to the storm.  Under no conditions would the Grand Forks Herald "name" a blizzard for 3" of snow with 15 mph winds that would cripple parts of the south and east.  It's a big hit up there and always makes headlines in the TV news as well.  As far as I know even with Winter Storm Gandolf blowing through there a few weeks back, the Grand Forks Herald did their own thing and ignored TWC.  For a specific, small geographical area that can have 3-10+ blizzards a year, it does make sense to name them.

Here's an another article that describes it:  http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/172492991.html?refer=y

Edit:  the Grand Forks Herald actually named it Blizzard Aaron.  Here is a Univ of North Dakota blog article that talks about it:  http://cloudburst.areavoices.com/2013/01/13/blizzard-aaron/ 

WTH is "StormCon"?

I know TorCon is Dr. Forbes version of SPC tornado probs except an integer four times the value of a percentage because of the 50 mile radius, his 6 is the SPC equivalent of 15%, but StormCon?

Boston is a 10/10.  Or the worst conceivable storm ever.  NYC is a 9/10?

But it is pulled out of their hindquarters, it appears.

Unfortunately the naming thing is sticking with a lot of people.

I think Bloomburg even referred to it as Nemo...  (despite on-scene NWS met briefings which I'm sure didn't use that name).  And of course, innumerable images of the storm with that damn cartoon fish attached to it floating around on social media.

Nemo is here to stay, and perhaps naming also.  Ugh.

I noticed that PBS TV is referring to the current storm by it's Weather Channel name - I was thinking of writing an email to complain.

Ugh, that is disappointing.  I expect more from PBS.  The NYT did not stoop, at least.

TWC is done with my respect. Cantore and the other good mets need to leave. 

Why? He perfectly fits the TWC brand.

That's insulting to Cantore. He is a true met, not a joke. Same with Forbes and the old hurricane expert, Lyons I believe.

Forbes is still there, but Kocin and Lyons left, Lyons for NWS San Angelo, and I doubt they left for more money.  And Forbes' 'TorCon' which is just his way of expressing tornado probabilities (same product, different scale (TC of 4 = SPC 10%) is now being ripped off for 'StormCon', which appears to be pulled from thin air.

I follow Cantore (and a few other TWC people) and he doesn't use the #Disney name hashtags anywhere near as much as the other TWC people.  I suspect he isn't really a fan.

And having a woman without a BS degree as the prime time anchor is a good measure how seriously TWC takes meteorology.  Older men and women who are mets get let go (Dave Schwartz, anyone), and their show about the  Hurricane Hunters is shot so as to never show USAFR Major Nicole Mitchell, who is suing TWC for wrongful termination and alleging she was fired because of her reserve status.

That's insulting to Cantore. He is a true met, not a joke. Same with Forbes and the old hurricane expert, Lyons I believe.

You can be a "true met" and a hypester-- it's not like one excludes the other.  Sorry you think it's insulting.  But as a chaser dude who's usually on the road alone in weird, dangerous corners of the continent to chase cyclones, I'm just not going to be all OMG about his on-the-spot reporting from a cozy, ten-van caravan. (Yeah, yeah-- I know he stands in the rain.)

Forbes is still there, but Kocin and Lyons left, Lyons for NWS San Angelo, and I doubt they left for more money.  And Forbes' 'TorCon' which is just his way of expressing tornado probabilities (same product, different scale (TC of 4 = SPC 10%) is now being ripped off for 'StormCon', which appears to be pulled from thin air.

I follow Cantore (and a few other TWC people) and he doesn't use the #Disney name hashtags anywhere near as much as the other TWC people.  I suspect he isn't really a fan.

And having a woman without a BS degree as the prime time anchor is a good measure how seriously TWC takes meteorology.  Older men and women who are mets get let go (Dave Schwartz, anyone), and their show about the  Hurricane Hunters is shot so as to never show USAFR Major Nicole Mitchell, who is suing TWC for wrongful termination and alleging she was fired because of her reserve status.

I like Forbes, and don't mind their hurricane experts...Tom Nizol is fine as well. I don't mind their "experts" still like some of their longer standing mets...Cantore, Carl Parker, Nick Walker, Abrams and Bettis...although a lot of their new hires seem like airheads. I'm not a big fan of having someone who isn't truly a met as an OCM on The "Weather" Channel.

I have a feeling many of the longer standing mets above and their PHD's listed above are against this whole naming thing...although I've seen Forbes use the names on Facebook a few times. It really is just a stupid way of trying to attract attention and any of us who are more "in the know" than the general public know it. Sadly I think a lot of people in New England are going to talk to their kids about this storm and call "Nemo" instead of the "blizzard of '13," because that's a nice little name for people to remember...sadly.

It's too bad people are too naive to realize that it isn't the NWS that names these...I bet wherever they heard that this was named Nemo...be it from Bloomberg, TWC, or local media, I'm pretty sure none of them said that the NWS came up with the name and gave it to the storm...but people are going to jump to conclusions I guess.

Archived