joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter and non-weather Discussions

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October begins the best three months of the year. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas back to back to back! And maybe we'll even seem some snow before the end of the year.

Brick,

It is the best time because it means we're getting close to the Weenie of the Year contest...an absolutely wonderful time of the year.

Ahhhhh, life is good!

SPE.gif Special Statement SPE.gif

Statement as of 10:08 AM CDT on October 02, 2012

... Potential early season snow event Wednesday night into Thursday...

There is increasing potential for an early season winter storm

that could produce significant snowfall late Wednesday night into

Thursday morning. Low pressure is expected to move across the

Central Plains and into Minnesota Wednesday into Thursday.

Rainfall will accompany the system on Wednesday... however there is

increasing potential for rainfall changing over to snow after

midnight Wednesday night. While warm surface temperatures will

melt the snow early in the event... the prolonged nature of the

event will increase the chance for accumulating snow Thursday

morning. At the current time... weather models are targeting the

northern Red River valley and parts of northwest Minnesota.

If snow rates are high enough... the potential exists for rapidly

accumulating and blowing snow. However there is still a large

degree of uncertainty on the exact track of this system.

This system could particularly impact the Thursday morning commute.

Stay tuned to the National Weather Service for future updates on

this potentially hazardous system.

Speicher

WIN.gif Winter Storm Warning WIN.gif

Statement as of 3:30 PM CDT on October 03, 2012

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 1 am Thursday to 10 am CDT

Friday...

The National Weather Service in Grand Forks has issued a Winter

Storm Warning for heavy snow and blowing snow... which is in effect

from 1 am Thursday to 10 am CDT Friday. The Winter Storm Watch is

no longer in effect.

* Timing... rain is expected to change to snow on Thursday

morning... and continue into Friday morning. The snow may be

heavy at times.

* Winds... north winds will increase on Thursday and become 20 to

30 mph with higher gusts... continuing into early Friday morning.

* Visibilities... may be near zero within falling and blowing

snow.

* Snow accumulations... 10 to 12 inches are possible.

* Wind chill values... in the mid to upper teens.

* Other impacts... heavy snow on tree branches and power lines may

cause them to break.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather

conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow

are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an

emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and

water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Anybody here in college?

If so, what is your major?

Me me me me!

Currently a Physics major.

Goin' for meteorology (hopefully at UAH) once I have my bachelors in physics.

Didn't start off intending to get a physics degree but I figure it won't hurt and since I'm only 3 semesters away I might as well just go for it.

I'm in college, but not in the way I think you intend by your question. I teach mathematics. Thus, my member name on here.

Sweet. Do you happen to teach linear algebra? I'm not having any problems with Calc III but linear is kicking my butt.

Just don't get the vector stuff (i.e. linear independence, spanning, mapping, etc). I'm getting there but I can't represent stuff graphically in that class like most math so its harder.

Currently we're doing determinants which I could pretty much do in my sleep.

I don't know how many sports fans are here but we have a big weekend coming up. Friday, Braves-Cards game to see who moves on to the NLDS on Sunday (Go Braves)...Saturday, Georgia-South Carolina football game (Go Dawgs!)...Sunday, Falcons-Redskins game (Go Falcons!) plus all other NFL games plus MLB NLDS series start.

Sweet. Do you happen to teach linear algebra? I'm not having any problems with Calc III but linear is kicking my butt.

Just don't get the vector stuff (i.e. linear independence, spanning, mapping, etc). I'm getting there but I can't represent stuff graphically in that class like most math so its harder.

Currently we're doing determinants which I could pretty much do in my sleep.

Having taken linear algebra myself several years ago, I have not yet had the opportunity to teach linear algebra. I tend to focus on the calculus sequence and a liberal arts mathematics class that covers a variety of topics, including voting theory (which is quite appropriate in this election season).

Having taken linear algebra myself several years ago, I have not yet had the opportunity to teach linear algebra. I tend to focus on the calculus sequence and a liberal arts mathematics class that covers a variety of topics, including voting theory (which is quite appropriate in this election season).

That sounds like an awesome class. Don't think they offer anything like that at NGCSU but it sounds like lots of fun. The best parts of math are the applications.

Calculus is my favorite math so far, although Cal II nearly killed me. Taking diff-eq next semester.

That sounds like an awesome class. Don't think they offer anything like that at NGCSU but it sounds like lots of fun. The best parts of math are the applications.

Calculus is my favorite math so far, although Cal II nearly killed me. Taking diff-eq next semester.

Differential equations?

I heard Van Denton say it was rough. Goodluck!

I don't know how many sports fans are here but we have a big weekend coming up. Friday, Braves-Cards game to see who moves on to the NLDS on Sunday (Go Braves)...Saturday, Georgia-South Carolina football game (Go Dawgs!)...Sunday, Falcons-Redskins game (Go Falcons!) plus all other NFL games plus MLB NLDS series start.

HAHA... Hate the Braves...(Go Nats!!!!)

I'll take SC since i live here now...

And having grown up in Northern Virginia, gotta take my 'Skins over the Falcons!! :thumbsup:

That is all.... :sled:

HAHA... Hate the Braves...(Go Nats!!!!)

I'll take SC since i live here now...

And having grown up in Northern Virginia, gotta take my 'Skins over the Falcons!! :thumbsup:

That is all.... :sled:

LOL, I won't hold that against you. In baseball I pull for 2 teams...the Braves and anyone playing the Yankees. In football I pull for 2 teams...the Falcons and anyone playing the Redskins. :thumbsup:

Calculus 2 is quite tough. In my opinion, it is the toughest course in the traditional 3-course calculus sequence. But, being the math nerd that I am, I also seem to find it most enjoyable of the three. =)

Our liberal arts course is really quite fun (for me, anyway!) too because I get to discuss items other than algebraic manipulations. Financial math, voting theory, set theory...they're a welcome change, at times, plus it's a different type of student that takes that course; so, I get to teach a more diverse crowd.

Buckle down, keep at it, do tons of work outside of class, and you should be able to get through your needed math classes, including DEs. It's just like most anything else: if you dedicate the necessary time and effort, the results usually follow. It also helps if you like the subject! Which you seem to do.

You might consider a straight math degree too. I got a chance to talk with Brad Panovich (chief meteorologist at WCNC out of Charlotte) recently over lunch after he came and spoke at our college, and I mentioned that I had toyed around with the idea of going back to school for meteorology someday. Since I have my master's degree in mathematics, he said I've already cleared the biggest hurdle to the meteorology degree. Like many other sciences, the mathematics is often what keeps people from realizing their ultimate dream in the field. So, it sounds like you're well on your way to getting the physics/meteorology degree. Best wishes!

The Braves played horrible tonight but that call was even worse. I'm not sure if it would of made any difference in the outcome but the umps can't make that call in an important part of the game like that. Oh well, I've been a Braves fan for almost 40 years so I'm used to it by now...LOL.

Archived