joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter and non-weather Discussions

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Job market still not good but improving here locally...mainly by additions of new restaurants. Olive Garden/Red Lobster two in one suppose to hire up to 200 people in Wilkesboro by May.

The county agreement says that if the company failed to make the capital investment or add the 90new jobsicon1.png, appropriations from the county would be reduced by a pro-rated amount.

If I may ask... what was the field of work? things are looking brighter and brighter here in central NC.

Ironically I work in healthcare. The one thing that everybody says is safe. I work at a hospital. We are affiliated with 3 hospitals in Haywood, Jackson and Swain counties. Total layoffs were 100 people. That hurts.

Ugh.....It's rough here too :(

Ya I am fearful of my own job but my heart goes out to all the families that are affected by this

I am going for my Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems. Hopefully I can land a job at Lowe's eventually.

Wilkes County’s Largest Employers

1) TYSON 2,600 2) LOWE’S 1,900 3) WILKES COUNTY SCHOOLS 1,200 4) WILKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER 800 5) WILKES COUNTY 350 6) WILKES COMMUNITY COLLEGE 250 7) LOUISIANA-PACIFIC CORPORATION 200 8) JELD-WEN, INC. 165 9) WILKES SENIOR VILLAGE 150 10) WAL-MART STORES INC. 150 11) NC DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION 150 12) BRITTHAVEN OF WILKESBORO 150 13) EAST COAST MILLWORK DIST. CO. 150 14) GARDNER GLASS PRODUCTS, INC. 140 15) KEY CITY FURNITURE CO. INC. 130 16) AVANTE AT WILKESBORO INC. 120 17) KOHL’S 110 18) CHURCH AND CHURCH LUMBER CO. 100 19) INTERFLEX GROUP INC. 90

I work in manufacturing in the GSP area.we had a slow-down about 2 years ago,and about 40 people took an early retirement package,but now they are hiring about 100+ people,and working24/7 thru Feb..The economy is pretty ok around here,and pretty nice area to live!56.4 degrees now.

Ya They are already talking about more layoffs for January. I am trying to get a job at the local paper mill. I am going to go back to school this next summer and get my degree in Electrical Engineering. The Economy is not doing that well around here were I live. I keep hearing about things getting better but I do not see it.

I am going for my Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems. Hopefully I can land a job at Lowe's eventually.

Wilkes County’s Largest Employers

1) TYSON 2,600 2) LOWE’S 1,900 3) WILKES COUNTY SCHOOLS 1,200 4) WILKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER 800 5) WILKES COUNTY 350 6) WILKES COMMUNITY COLLEGE 250 7) LOUISIANA-PACIFIC CORPORATION 200 8) JELD-WEN, INC. 165 9) WILKES SENIOR VILLAGE 150 10) WAL-MART STORES INC. 150 11) NC DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION 150 12) BRITTHAVEN OF WILKESBORO 150 13) EAST COAST MILLWORK DIST. CO. 150 14) GARDNER GLASS PRODUCTS, INC. 140 15) KEY CITY FURNITURE CO. INC. 130 16) AVANTE AT WILKESBORO INC. 120 17) KOHL’S 110 18) CHURCH AND CHURCH LUMBER CO. 100 19) INTERFLEX GROUP INC. 90

1A) BIG BUBBA'S MARIJUANA GROUP 3,400

If I may ask... what was the field of work? things are looking brighter and brighter here in central NC.

Not in this part (Randolph county). Just recently got anounced the old Goodyear wire plant will be closing in December (100 jobs) and Energizer expected to make an anouncement November 8th. Rumor is one of the 2 plants will be getting shut down. Collectively they both employ 700 people in our county.

You mean moonshine?

:arrowhead:

lol both

Aided by spotters in four helicopters overhead, state and local authorities seized 1,125 marijuana plants with a street value of about $1.3 million at nine different locations across eastern Wilkes County Tuesday.

It was the second and most successful search for marijuana so far this year. The seized plants, ranging from 5 to 8 feet tall, were destroyed, said Lt. Craig Dancy, in charge of the sheriff’s department’s narcotics division.

Charges are pending against two men as a result of marijuana found at two different locations, said Dancy.

One of the two cases involves marijuana found in a vegetable garden beside a house. In the other case, he said, a man admitted growing marijuana when officers arrived Tuesday.

Three of the aircraft were Kiowa surveillance helicopters from the N.C. National Guard and one was from the N.C. Highway Patrol. The helicopters and personnel inside them were provided through the N.C. National Guard’s Counter Drug Task Force, which is federally funded.

Seized Tuesday were 413 marijuana plants off Yadkin Mountain Road (near the intersection of Dennyville Road and Old N.C. 60) in the Clingman area, 350 plants off Poplar Springs Road just north of Ronda, 189 plants off Old N.C. 60 in the Antioch community, 55 plants off North Hoots Road in Roaring River, 50 plants off Tate Drive (off U.S. 21) in Thurmond, 40 plant off Mayberry Road in the Somers community, 10 plants off Austin-Benham Road in Pleasant Hill, nine plants off Pardue Farm Road in the Cranberry community and nine plants off Old Offen P.O. Road in Traphill.

Wilkes Sheriff’s Department and State Bureau of Investigation agents cut the plants with machetes and hauled them out, partly by carrying them on foot and also with four-wheel-drive pickups.

At one location, a citizen voluntarily assisted by clearing a trail to marijuana with his bulldozer and by hauling marijuana in the bulldozer’s bucket from where it was cut to the highway.

A few hundred yards away from where marijuana was found on Yadkin Mountain Road, officers also found part of a large liquor still operation in a barn.

About 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, officers from the sheriff’s department and N.C. Alcohol Law Enforcement returned to the scene on Yadkin Mountain Road with a search warrant and seized a large boiler, mash tank and other parts of the liquor still, as well as a small mount of moonshine.

Missing from the operation were the doubler, condenser and still.

Officers found four large bags of sugar, identified as weighing 1,669 pounds each, and in another barn nearby. Sugar is used to make moonshine.

No charges have been filed in connection with the liquor still, but the investigation is continuing.

Ashe County Sheriff James Williams said no marijuana was found when a similar search for marijuana was held in his county Tuesday. This search also involved the N.C. National Guard’s Counter Drug Task Force.

I'll bet they buy their sugar in bulk at Sam's Club. :)

Don't know where to put this, so I will put it here...........Just in time for winter!

I am selling my wireless Davis Vantage Pro 2, with the aspiration sheild and complete with the weatherlink software. I have over 800.00 in it and I'd take 650.00 for it. My wife thinks it's an eyesore hanging off our back deck and I don't have anywhere else to put it. If you are interested, just shoot me a pm.

Don't know where to put this, so I will put it here...........Just in time for winter!

I am selling my wireless Davis Vantage Pro 2, with the aspiration sheild and complete with the weatherlink software. I have over 800.00 in it and I'd take 650.00 for it. My wife thinks it's an eyesore hanging off our back deck and I don't have anywhere else to put it. If you are interested, just shoot me a pm.

So you decided you could get more for the weather station than you could for your wife? Times are hard. :whistle:

Ouch. That is a tough one. This is one of those areas where my wife knows to work with me and give a little. Like with that tshirt that has 50 holes in it that I have owned for 20 years.

Ouch. That is a tough one. This is one of those areas where my wife knows to work with me and give a little. Like with that tshirt that has 50 holes in it that I have owned for 20 years.

I have never understood how my wife is not totally blown away in excitement that I can check my iphone from anywhere in the world and tell her the conditions right outside our back door. Who doesn't get excited about that kind of instant gratification? lol

Archived