VALID 221200Z - 231200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS PORTIONS NY/WRN NEW ENGLAND TO

INLAND MID-ATLC......

...SYNOPSIS...

LARGE-SCALE TROUGHING WILL PERSIST FROM GREAT LAKES DOWN MS VALLEY

TO NRN GULF. PRIMARY/EMBEDDED SHORTWAVE PERTURBATION DESCRIBED IN

DAY-2 OUTLOOK SHOULD PIVOT EWD THROUGH MEAN TROUGH POSITION...FROM

IL/LM ACROSS LOWER MI...INDIANA...OH...AND LE. PROGS DO VARY SOME

IN LATITUDINAL EXTENT REGARDING TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM.

NONETHELESS...WHAT AMOUNTS TO JUST MESOSCALE DISCREPANCIES ALOFT

THIS FAR IN ADVANCE NOW OFFERS REASONABLE CONFIDENCE IN

TIMING/PLACEMENT OF ASSOCIATED FRONTAL ZONE AND ACCOMPANYING BELT OF

STG LOW-LEVEL FORCING.

SFC COLD FRONT SHOULD MOVE EWD ACROSS MID-ATLC AND CENTRAL

APPALACHIANS REGIONS EARLY-MIDDLE PERIOD...REACHING ERN NY...ERN

PA...WRN VA...ERN TN...AND NRN/CENTRAL AL BY 23/00Z. FRONT SHOULD

PROCEED EWD TO NEAR WRN MAINE...CAPE COD...ERN NC AND FL PANHANDLE

BY END OF PERIOD. PASSAGE OF FRONT ACROSS OUTLOOK AREA SHOULD BE

TIMED WELL WITH RESPECT TO PEAK WARM-SECTOR THETAE.

...NERN CONUS...MID-ATLC...

AS FRONT AND PERHAPS PREFRONTAL CONFLUENCE LINE PROCEED

EWD...RELATED CORRIDOR OF ENHANCED LIFT WILL IMPINGE ON

PROGRESSIVELY GREATER ATLC-BASED RETURN-FLOW MOISTURE WITH EWD

EXTENT. SFC DEW POINTS MID-50S TO MID-60S F SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO

SUPPORT SFC-BASED CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT IN PRESENCE OF SUCH

LIFT...EVEN IF PREFRONTAL DIABATIC SFC HEATING IS MUTED CONSIDERABLY

BY CLOUD COVER. LAPSE RATES ALOFT WILL BE RELATIVELY WEAK...AND

NEITHER BUOYANCY NOR DEEP-LAYER FORCING APPEAR TO BE QUITE AS STG AS

MOST RECENT EVENT IN THIS REGION. STILL...PRESENCE OF AT LEAST MRGL

CAPE JUXTAPOSED WITH STG DEEP-LAYER WIND FIELDS INDICATES

DAMAGING-WIND POTENTIAL. AS SUCH...15% THRESHOLD UNCONDITIONAL

PROBABILITIES ARE IS BEING INTRODUCED ATTM...SUBJECT TO INCREASE IN

FUTURE OUTLOOKS IF INSTABILITY/KINEMATIC TRENDS WARRANT.

OVERALL SVR THREAT GENERALLY WILL LESSEN AND BECOME MORE CONDITIONAL

WITH SWD EXTENT THROUGH CAROLINAS/SERN CONUS...WITH INCREASING

DISTANCE FROM STRONGEST ISALLOBARIC FORCING...MID-UPPER WINDS...AND

FRONTAL LIFT.

..EDWARDS.. 09/20/2012

This threat actually has some decent wind fields and kinematic support over Eastern NY, Northeast PA, and the northern half of Western New Jersey. There is certainly the potential for a band of strong to severe storms in that area ahead of the front -- in fact I think the potential for damaging winds in that corridor could eventually be highlighted by 30 pct probabilities from SPC.

However, the timing and the dropoff in height falls to the east suggest this threat could come to an abrupt halt just west of NYC -- I think the threat for strong/severe storms is low over Long Island and more than 50-75 miles east of the NY and CT/MA border in New England.

Interestingly the SPC SREF has been showing some enhanced low level shear over Eastern NY/Northeast PA and Northern NJ which could harbor a potential localized threat for isolated tornadoes. The timing of the event has a sped up a bit on the last few model cycles, too, I think we'll have to wait this one out a few more cycles before we make any definitive statements other than the general ideas I touched on and a few others around the forums have touched on as well.

This KSMQ sounding at 21z actually looks really good. Those 0-1.5 km lapse rates being nearly dry-adiabatic combined with the dewpoint line going "straight up" to 900mb...almost through the entire mixed layer...meaning we get both good SB CAPE and good ML CAPE. This would greatly help to maintain a squall line. Also I'm hoping this sounding would allow a cloud top to around 700mb...hopefully that would be good enough for strong winds to get accelerated to the surface. The lapse rates above 700mb are absolutely awful, though.

SKT_NAM__KSMQ.png

The NAM and GFS are worlds apart with CAPE/LI. The nam is bullish, the GFS is meh. ML lapse rates are crap....and we've seen how that has worked so far this year. I'm not sold on this yet. I did put in my forecast on the NY metro weather page for likely tsras for SAT eve, but idk about svr.

The NAM and GFS are worlds apart with CAPE/LI. The nam is bullish, the GFS is meh. ML lapse rates are crap....and we've seen how that has worked so far this year. I'm not sold on this yet. I did put in my forecast on the NY metro weather page for likely tsras for SAT eve, but idk about svr.

...same with 850 jet. GFS doesn't even have 40 kts at 850 in the immediate region. The "best" wind energy is up in Northern New England and Canada, or behind the front.

I'm not sold at all on this.

I also think the timing is a big issue. So essentially, I agree. The SPC SREF shows the cutoff in potential severe thunderstorm probabilities over NYC

SREF_12HR_SVR_PROBS__f048.gif

1500 J/kg of surface based Cape over Northern/West-Central New Jersey with 40 kts of effective shear. Low level lapse rates are decent for the time being..if we can get some lift in here before it gets too late there is a narrow window for severe storms. But as it stands now, the few hours in delay from good timing will likely support the storms weakening as they move from W to E through NJ.

Archived