joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, thought I'd throw a report in this thread; less likely to get lost in the shuffle.

Had some pretty good wind gusts around here yesterday afternoon and into this morning. I'd say I saw some in the mid-40s. KELB with a max gust of 44, fitting the bill nicely.

Lost power at home at 10pm last night & still off this morning. I'm at work with plenty of juice at the moment. ;)

0.92" so far with more southeasterly lashings on the way by the looks of things.

Saw a few trees down including one mid-sized white pine laying on the roof of a garage.

Now that sandy is in the rear view mirror for the most part up here, Looking ahead on some of the models, Nov looks like we may start off cold with a chance of seeing some type of coastal storm around the 6th which could give many of us 1st snows of the season

West Virginia upslope...

Mid-Atlantic is getting J.Spin's/ADK/my dream upslope snowstorm from a tropical cyclone... another 1-2 feet likely over the next 24 hours after 1-2 feet already. Its amazing how similar the set-up is down there and what we need for upslope up here. Strong, stacked low pressure system off to the NE of the mountains with very strong deep layer NW flow into the mountains with cold air advection.

Its funny listening to the Weather Channel talk about upslope snow, as they keep saying "models now keep snow falling a lot longer than originally thought"... "strong NW flow is creating a stationary band of heavy snow against the mountains"... all stuff we talk about all winter long up here, haha. I could've told them that upslope will always linger longer than you initially think as that wind will squeeze out every last drop of moisture. That's the part of the storm I'm the most jealous of now. Would've loved to be in a historic upslope event right now.

Wind gusts from BTV's warning area in Vermont....

I said in an earlier post in this thread that I'd eat my hat if MVL gusted to 63mph like the forecast map showed... but I guess I came close to actually having to eat a hat. Looks like MVL gusted to 55mph down the road, and I saw a few of the obs in the upper 40s, too. That would explain the power outages around here. Mansfield got 72mph which was lower than I thought it would be.

VERMONT

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...

1 WSW LYNDON CENTER 61 515 PM 10/29 MESONET

LYNDON STATE COLLEGE 40 1259 AM 10/30 MESONET

CALEDONIA CO STATE A 38 1155 PM 10/29 AWOS

WALDEN 37 256 PM 10/29 MESONET

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...

UNDERHILL 60 1057 PM 10/29 MESONET

1 W WEST BOLTON 48 813 PM 10/29 MESONET

1 E NASHVILLE 43 703 PM 10/29 MESONET

BURLINGTON INTL ARPT 37 1124 PM 10/29 ASOS

1 S JERICHO CENTER 36 857 PM 10/29 MESONET

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

5 SSE SWANTON 35 1256 AM 10/30 MESONET

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

8 NW STOWE 72 1205 AM 10/30 MOUNT MANSFIELD

MORRISVILLE ARPT 55 1219 AM 10/30 ASOS

...ORLEANS COUNTY...

NEWPORT AIRPORT AWOS 35 355 PM 10/29 AWOS

...RUTLAND COUNTY...

3 SSE NORTH CLARENDO 53 555 PM 10/29 AWOS

3 ESE SHREWSBURY 44 723 PM 10/29 MESONET

DANBY 43 956 PM 10/29 MESONET

SHREWSBURY 37 857 PM 10/29 MESONET

...WINDSOR COUNTY...

LUDLOW 3 NNE 47 1158 PM 10/29 MESONET

SPRINGFIELD AIRPORT 41 354 PM 10/29 ASOS

WILDER 35 501 PM 10/29 MESONET

West Virginia upslope...

Mid-Atlantic is getting J.Spin's/ADK/my dream upslope snowstorm from a tropical cyclone... another 1-2 feet likely over the next 24 hours after 1-2 feet already. Its amazing how similar the set-up is down there and what we need for upslope up here. Strong, stacked low pressure system off to the NE of the mountains with very strong deep layer NW flow into the mountains with cold air advection.

Its funny listening to the Weather Channel talk about upslope snow, as they keep saying "models now keep snow falling a lot longer than originally thought"... "strong NW flow is creating a stationary band of heavy snow against the mountains"... all stuff we talk about all winter long up here, haha. I could've told them that upslope will always linger longer than you initially think as that wind will squeeze out every last drop of moisture. That's the part of the storm I'm the most jealous of now. Would've loved to be in a historic upslope event right now.

some sic pics in the mid atlantic forum http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37470-sandy-snow-chasers-major-snow-event/page__st__245

tuesdaysmall13.jpg

tuesdaysmall18.jpg

Do you ever wish Mansfield had a less ugly sounding name? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

LOL. It's a fine name as far as I can see. Just a typical compound Anglo-Saxon habitational name:

English: habitational name from a place in Nottinghamshire. The early forms, from Domesday Book to the early 13th century, show the first element uniformly as Mam-, and it is therefore likely that this was a British hill-name meaning ‘breast’ (compare Manchester), with the later addition of Old English feld ‘pasture’, ‘open country’ (see Field) as the second element. The surname is now widespread throughout Midland and southern England and is also common in Ireland.Irish: when not an importation of 1, this is an altered form of the Norman name Manville (see Mandeville).

Do you ever wish Mansfield had a less ugly sounding name? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Tripyramid ftw.

LOL... I've actually never even thought about it. Its just such a big part of this area of Vermont (being easily visible from all over the area, especially stunning from near Burlington) that everything seems to be named Mansfield. From streets to UVM buildings, dogs & pets, businesses, lol.

None of the names around here really stand out like Tripyramid, lol. Camels Hump is probably the closest to a cool name, but everything else seems fairly run of the mill.... Jay Peak, Sterling Peak, Spruce Peak, Madonna Mountain, Worcester Range, Bolton Mountain, Mount Ellen, Lincoln Peak, Mt Abraham, etc.

Wind gusts from BTV's warning area in Vermont....

I said in an earlier post in this thread that I'd eat my hat if MVL gusted to 63mph like the forecast map showed... but I guess I came close to actually having to eat a hat. Looks like MVL gusted to 55mph down the road, and I saw a few of the obs in the upper 40s, too. That would explain the power outages around here. Mansfield got 72mph which was lower than I thought it would be.

VERMONT

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...

1 WSW LYNDON CENTER 61 515 PM 10/29 MESONET

LYNDON STATE COLLEGE 40 1259 AM 10/30 MESONET

CALEDONIA CO STATE A 38 1155 PM 10/29 AWOS

WALDEN 37 256 PM 10/29 MESONET

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...

UNDERHILL 60 1057 PM 10/29 MESONET

1 W WEST BOLTON 48 813 PM 10/29 MESONET

1 E NASHVILLE 43 703 PM 10/29 MESONET

BURLINGTON INTL ARPT 37 1124 PM 10/29 ASOS

1 S JERICHO CENTER 36 857 PM 10/29 MESONET

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

5 SSE SWANTON 35 1256 AM 10/30 MESONET

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

8 NW STOWE 72 1205 AM 10/30 MOUNT MANSFIELD

MORRISVILLE ARPT 55 1219 AM 10/30 ASOS

...ORLEANS COUNTY...

NEWPORT AIRPORT AWOS 35 355 PM 10/29 AWOS

...RUTLAND COUNTY...

3 SSE NORTH CLARENDO 53 555 PM 10/29 AWOS

3 ESE SHREWSBURY 44 723 PM 10/29 MESONET

DANBY 43 956 PM 10/29 MESONET

SHREWSBURY 37 857 PM 10/29 MESONET

...WINDSOR COUNTY...

LUDLOW 3 NNE 47 1158 PM 10/29 MESONET

SPRINGFIELD AIRPORT 41 354 PM 10/29 ASOS

WILDER 35 501 PM 10/29 MESONET

LSC got to 61mph, St. J to 53mph. I don't know what that 40mph gust is on there for lol. Pretty much on par with my thinking. Damage is extensive back at home for me :(

Bring on snow.

is there not some upslope snow's late week for the n greens?

pfreak you gotta like the look of the euro 12z sat. -4c 850 90% rh @ 700 & 850 mb over N greens. game on i'd say AOA 1800-2k

Yeah I've been noticing an increased potential for snow later this week in the Fri-Sun time frame as Sandy's remnants drift off to our NE. There's still some good residual moisture and the flow looks "ok"... not an ideal set-up but might be enough to squeeze out a long duration few inches above 2,000ft, with flakes maybe making it down to the mountain valleys in that 700-1500ft range with no accumulation.

At this point, to me it looks like a 36-hour, 0.25-0.5" QPF event in the mountains...probably something like 1-2" every 12 hours at the summit in periods of snow showers. It usually does not take much to accumulate an inch or two up there, so nothing impressive but could whiten the upper elevations of the upslope region.

is there not some upslope snow's late week for the n greens?

pfreak you gotta like the look of the euro 12z sat. -4c 850 90% rh @ 700 & 850 mb over N greens. game on i'd say AOA 1800-2k

NAM and GFS have the classic precipitation pattern for upslope... showing negligent amounts of QPF, which it will always under-forecast, but the precipitation pattern shows the upslope signal.

LOL. It's a fine name as far as I can see. Just a typical compound Anglo-Saxon habitational name:

I’m with Allenson here, it seems quite innocuous as names go. Aside from the peak, and the loads of snow and skiing that go with it, the only other notion that even comes to mind is Jayne Mansfield, and that’s hard to associate with ugly.

Well that was interesting. Best rain rates of the season I think?

Had an 8.73"/hr rain rate and a peak 1-min total of 0.08". Quite a bit of lightning and loud, long rumbling thunder. Peak gust was only 26mph from the S.

The temp is finally taking a nosedive though. I guess that was fropa.

Nope...sorry. It was near bedtime for me so I was almost out. I'd check when I get home this afternoon, but to be honest I wouldn't know what was from the TS or Sandy anyways.

We figured this would be a problem. Go figure though, 2 miles outside the polygon and we've had numerous reports of tree damage not unlike those coming from Wareham, Mass.

We figured this would be a problem. Go figure though, 2 miles outside the polygon and we've had numerous reports of tree damage not unlike those coming from Wareham, Mass.

My mom actually texted me this morning asking if I'm OK. She mentioned a possible microburst in Franklin. I didn't check the news this morning, but I'm not surprised.

Archived