• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

MWN now down to 12F with a 50mph wind... -14F wind chill.

Makes Mansfield's 1F wind chill seem warm.

Just looked outside and there's flakes floating down again in the spotlight. 35F with --SN.

I'm not sure how low we get with the wind and residual snow showers.

You should be up there on the mtn throwing back a few beers lol.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be up there throwing back a few beers lol.

I may have to go spend a couple nights in one of the secret shelters up there. Woodstove and bunks, tossing back a double IPA while watching it snow...

I weenied out hard today and it felt great, lol. Such a tease on October 12th. What really got me is I just drove home down the Mountain Road about 20 minutes ago and there were still a few flurries flying in the headlights, with the smell of woodsmoke in the air... the winter-like sensory overload was almost too much.

I may have to go spend a couple nights in one of the secret shelters up there. Woodstove and bunks, tossing back a double IPA while watching it snow...

I weenied out hard today and it felt great, lol. Such a tease on October 12th. What really got me is I just drove home down the Mountain Road about 20 minutes ago and there were still a few flurries flying in the headlights, with the smell of woodsmoke in the air... the winter-like sensory overload was almost too much.

Dang PF you are making me jealous! I cannot wait for upslope snows to start down here this winter. Those pics today were great. Making me want to come up there for some vacation this winter.

I would be there in a second. Can you guys actually utilize it before the season begins?

When I saw the amount of snow crashing out along the western slopes of the Greens earlier today, I figured that some flakes would be making it to the mountain valleys, but I was definitely surprised when Powderfreak revealed that there was even some graupel accumulating down low. That meant that the same thing was probably going on at our place, especially with the way the radar showed the flow of moisture coming in from the northwest. I had to head home to Waterbury in the mid afternoon timeframe, and it became my first trip of the season heading from the Champlain Valley into the snow in the mountains. There was no precipitation falling in Burlington, but by Richmond there were a few spits of rain, and some flakes in the air. There was no snow falling at the Waterbury Park and Ride when I arrived, but everything was wet from previous precipitation. I headed toward the house, and about a mile before I got there I was hit with what seemed like moderate rainfall, but I quickly saw that it was actually snowfall comprised of very wet flakes. Flakes were in the air on and off at the house after I arrived, but at around 2:30 P.M. a strong pulse of moisture hit the area and we had a heavy downpour of snow and graupel. The temperature was 40 F, and while the flakes couldn’t accumulate, the intense graupel accumulated quite readily, and easily passed the tenth of an inch threshold to mark our first accumulation of the season. The presence of the accumulation was quite transient of course, so it was fortuitous that I was home at that time or I wouldn’t have been able to record it. I suspect there were probably a couple of similar occurrences earlier in the day based on the radar, but that mid afternoon one was the only one I witnessed. After that episode I didn’t see anything more in the way of graupel through the afternoon, just fluffy flakes. They never accumulated, but there were some large ones up to about an inch in diameter. Although not the earliest frozen precipitation I’ve noted since being at our current location, today does mark the earliest accumulating snowfall in my records, beating out the previous earliest of October 15th, 2010 by three days. This event also drops the mean for the first accumulating snowfall in my data set by three days to Oct 26th ± 12 days. Below I’ve added a midday radar shot and a couple of pictures from that time period in Burlington as the mountains got swallowed up in snowfall:

12OCT12B.gif

12OCT12A.jpg

12OCT12B.jpg

Nice, J.Spin! Coming in with the first accumulating frozen precip of the season with 0.1".

I was actually wondering that yesterday. We had a few periods where the graupel and snow came down heavily enough to coat the ground and any elevated surface (I mean 0.1" is NOT hard to accumulate with heavy graupel/snow mix)... I bet I could've considered it an accumulation, but does it still count if its literally only there for less than 5 minutes?

I mean it comes down hard and turns mulch and car tops white but as soon as the burst ends the stuff immediately melts. Not like in 15 minutes but immediately as in like 1-3 minutes.

Do you record that as 0.1" snowfall? All you need is the elevated measuring surface to be covered in those little white balls because them by themselves have a diameter of greater than 0.1.

The temperature was 40 F, and while the flakes couldn’t accumulate, the intense graupel accumulated quite readily, and easily passed the tenth of an inch threshold to mark our first accumulation of the season. The presence of the accumulation was quite transient of course, so it was fortuitous that I was home at that time or I wouldn’t have been able to record it. I suspect there were probably a couple of similar occurrences earlier in the day based on the radar, but that mid afternoon one was the only one I witnessed. After that episode I didn’t see anything more in the way of graupel through the afternoon, just fluffy flakes. They never accumulated, but there were some large ones up to about an inch in diameter. Although not the earliest frozen precipitation I’ve noted since being at our current location, today does mark the earliest accumulating snowfall in my records, beating out the previous earliest of October 15th, 2010 by three days. This event also drops the mean for the first accumulating snowfall in my data set by three days to Oct 26th ± 12 days. Below I’ve added a midday radar shot and a couple of pictures from that time period in Burlington as the mountains got swallowed up in snowfall:

Nice, J.Spin! Coming in with the first accumulating frozen precip of the season with 0.1".

I was actually wondering that yesterday. We had a few periods where the graupel and snow came down heavily enough to coat the ground and any elevated surface (I mean 0.1" is NOT hard to accumulate on a picnic table top with heavy graupel/snow mix falling)... but does it still count if its literally only there for less than 5 minutes?

I mean it comes down hard and turns mulch and car tops white but as soon as the burst ends the stuff immediately melts. Not like in 15 minutes but immediately as in like 1-3 minutes.

Do you record that as 0.1" snowfall? All you need is the elevated measuring surface to be covered in those little white balls because them by themselves have a diameter of greater than 0.1. If it happened multiple times, can you record 0.3" if its three separate coatings?

I just have a hard time recording what happened yesterday as accumulation if didn't last more than a couple minutes on the ground at a time. Feelings?

I was actually wondering that yesterday. We had a few periods where the graupel and snow came down heavily enough to coat the ground and any elevated surface (I mean 0.1" is NOT hard to accumulate with heavy graupel/snow mix)... I bet I could've considered it an accumulation, but does it still count if its literally only there for less than 5 minutes?

Do you record that as 0.1" snowfall? All you need is the elevated measuring surface to be covered in those little white balls because them by themselves have a diameter of greater than 0.1.

I would only if the board was completely covered. If you can see some of it then I'd leave it a T. A normal 0.1" snowfall covers the entire snowboard.

22F for a low this morning. Easily the coldest reading of the season.

We just had a very brief snow shower here at 450ft!! Could see a larger shower just off to the Southwest of us as well.

Yeah man, I drove through a squall on RT 25 in Bradford on my way home last evening, not too far past the interstate--so, pretty low in elevation. I even saw some accumulation on roof tops at the top of Taplin Hill here in Corinth.

I would only if the board was completely covered. If you can see some of it then I'd leave it a T. A normal 0.1" snowfall covers the entire snowboard.

Ahh yes that's what I was missing. Even though it was enough to turn car tops and hoods white at times, we still had small empty spaces between grauple and flakes. I don't think I saw any surface COMPLETELY covered solid so I'll stick with a trace.

J.Spin's post got me thinking about it and Although you could probably have measured a tenth or two at times, there was also parts of the underlying surface showing. That's a tough call...but if you are extremely diligent about it like JSpin and measure every last bit of frozen, yesterday's showers/squalls were right on the fence.

I was actually wondering that yesterday. We had a few periods where the graupel and snow came down heavily enough to coat the ground and any elevated surface (I mean 0.1" is NOT hard to accumulate on a picnic table top with heavy graupel/snow mix falling)... but does it still count if its literally only there for less than 5 minutes?

Do you record that as 0.1" snowfall? All you need is the elevated measuring surface to be covered in those little white balls because them by themselves have a diameter of greater than 0.1. If it happened multiple times, can you record 0.3" if its three separate coatings?

I just have a hard time recording what happened yesterday as accumulation if didn't last more than a couple minutes on the ground at a time. Feelings?

Well the best guidance we can offer our spotters is that they are to measure the greatest depth of new snowfall prior to melting or settling. So this means it is best to measure as close to the end of an event as possible. If you get three separate squalls of 1 inch, but they all melt before the next events begins, your new snowfall is 3 inches but your snow depth is 0. However, if snow continually melts as it falls and never accumulates to 0.1" you have yourself a trace.

And you wonder why snowfall reporting varies so much!

A little to warm for snow, Plus we down slope here so snow showers are drying up

I think the column would've brought frozen precip to the ground IMBY, but the downslope to my sub-400' elev nixed that. Wind was still blowing last evening, but still made it to 24 this morn, with 1/8" ice on the washtub. (Won't be watering the garden any more, so time to dump/store the tub.)

Now you've got a screen name you'll want to verify!

I miss Dryslot.

lol, I miss him to

I think the column would've brought frozen precip to the ground IMBY, but the downslope to my sub-400' elev nixed that. Wind was still blowing last evening, but still made it to 24 this morn, with 1/8" ice on the washtub. (Won't be watering the garden any more, so time to dump/store the tub.)

Now you've got a screen name you'll want to verify!

Yes, Something i do prefer and hopefully on the right side of more often

So, after my bad luck last weekend with fog and then rain, I decided to give the Bonds another shot. This time, however, I would start from a different trailhead ... the one last week was pretty dull - 5 miles of walking on an old railroad bed before hitting any elevation.

My schedule was a crazy one: 25.1 miles and I had to be back in the car by 3:00pm. Doing some quick calculating I figured it would take about 12 hours. And that meant being on trail at 3am.

I was on trail at 2:55am. The trailhead temp was not bad at 30F, but I could hear the wind blowing already and knew the forecast was calling for windy conditions above treeline. It wasn't even 1/4 mile before I saw the first snow grains on fallen leaves. That continued until Zealand Hut, where I began to gain elevation quickly. Before long the trail was snow-covered with an inch or so.

As I approached the alpine zone, the wind was really knifing through the trees. I popped out into the open, snapped a pic of the brightening skyline and then set about adding a layer and exchanging the weightlifting gloves for a regular pair. I learned it's best to not do that in 40 mph winds ... took me longer than I thought and my fingers lost feeling. I briefly contemplated returning to the car - I was fooking cold! - but decided to see if my fingers thawed. They did, so I walked on.

Beautiful scenery all along my chosen path. Here's three more pics and many more can be viewed at

post-254-0-07898800-1350180244_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-63296500-1350180277_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-71152600-1350180297_thumb.jpg

So, after my bad luck last weekend with fog and then rain, I decided to give the Bonds another shot. This time, however, I would start from a different trailhead ... the one last week was pretty dull - 5 miles of walking on an old railroad bed before hitting any elevation.

My schedule was a crazy one: 25.1 miles and I had to be back in the car by 3:00pm. Doing some quick calculating I figured it would take about 12 hours. And that meant being on trail at 3am.

I was on trail at 2:55am. The trailhead temp was not bad at 30F, but I could hear the wind blowing already and knew the forecast was calling for windy conditions above treeline. It wasn't even 1/4 mile before I saw the first snow grains on fallen leaves. That continued until Zealand Hut, where I began to gain elevation quickly. Before long the trail was snow-covered with an inch or so.

As I approached the alpine zone, the wind was really knifing through the trees. I popped out into the open, snapped a pic of the brightening skyline and then set about adding a layer and exchanging the weightlifting gloves for a regular pair. I learned it's best to not do that in 40 mph winds ... took me longer than I thought and my fingers lost feeling. I briefly contemplated returning to the car - I was fooking cold! - but decided to see if my fingers thawed. They did, so I walked on.

Beautiful scenery all along my chosen path. Here's three more pics and many more can be viewed at http://www.facebook....08999755&type=3

post-254-0-07898800-1350180244_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-63296500-1350180277_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-71152600-1350180297_thumb.jpg

Nice pics, You have turned into a hiking machine

Archived