• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

So, after my bad luck last weekend with fog and then rain, I decided to give the Bonds another shot. This time, however, I would start from a different trailhead ... the one last week was pretty dull - 5 miles of walking on an old railroad bed before hitting any elevation.

My schedule was a crazy one: 25.1 miles and I had to be back in the car by 3:00pm. Doing some quick calculating I figured it would take about 12 hours. And that meant being on trail at 3am.

I was on trail at 2:55am. The trailhead temp was not bad at 30F, but I could hear the wind blowing already and knew the forecast was calling for windy conditions above treeline. It wasn't even 1/4 mile before I saw the first snow grains on fallen leaves. That continued until Zealand Hut, where I began to gain elevation quickly. Before long the trail was snow-covered with an inch or so.

As I approached the alpine zone, the wind was really knifing through the trees. I popped out into the open, snapped a pic of the brightening skyline and then set about adding a layer and exchanging the weightlifting gloves for a regular pair. I learned it's best to not do that in 40 mph winds ... took me longer than I thought and my fingers lost feeling. I briefly contemplated returning to the car - I was fooking cold! - but decided to see if my fingers thawed. They did, so I walked on.

Beautiful scenery all along my chosen path. Here's three more pics and many more can be viewed at http://www.facebook....08999755&type=3

post-254-0-07898800-1350180244_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-63296500-1350180277_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-71152600-1350180297_thumb.jpg

Beautiful shots! Thanks for these.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Busted into the warm air heading south after work. Was quite warm at home.

Warming a lot better than yesterday... still a CAD signature though left in the temp plots. Coldest on the east side of the mountains in NH and ME...down into eastern and central VT.

Up here on the NW side of New England we tend to warm a lot faster and that's whats happening... nearing 70F west of the Spine and low to mid 60s on the east slope. Doesn't really matter about elevation because the immediate western slope up here is torching pretty good. But much colder air persists in the usual CAD winners.

Nice pics! Yesterday certainly was a CoC Five-Sun LL-icious day to be in the woods - was nice to feel the crunch of snow underfoot. You oughtta invest in a $15 headlamp just in case of situations you found yourself in. Days are getting mighty short.

Yeah, I actually have one I just didn't even think to bring it for a day hike like that. Can't hurt though I guess, so I learned my lessen. And yeah I just saw the snow in the woods...it was melted from the trails, but it was nice to see! And those are just phone pics so they don't do it justice but you get the idea!

Yeah... no better investment than a headlamp. You never know when you'll need one and they aren't that expense. Actually I use mine lot for things around the house (like fixing a leaky pipe under the sink). Its just like a flashlight attached to your head, lol.

Some friends who night ski in the trees, use headlamps that have the same power as a car's headlights on the "bright" setting... lol, they need to carry the battery in their backpack but on Mansfield you can probably see it from Burlington, haha.

Sweet photos WeatherMA and glad you found some snow :) Welcome to NNE.

Thanks for the welcome! Love it here :) ...and yeah if you can call that skim coating snow ;)

Never dropped below 50 last night, and was close to 60 as the heavy showers (1/4" in 15 min) passed thru about 8:30 PM. Yesterday's 61/41 looked the same - all dank and cloudy - as Sunday's 43/28, but felt a lot different. Still clouds and very fine droplets in AUG, but the ceiling is getting higher so I expect some sun after lunchtime.

Sure was balmy last night. Needed to put the fan on. More rain friday. Is there any correlation between wet Falls and below avg. winters cause that's what I remember happening before.

Same here. But how quickly things change. I'm freezing sitting in my dorm right now.

47F and mostly cloudy with gusty winds here in Plymouth.

Sure was balmy last night. Needed to put the fan on. More rain friday. Is there any correlation between wet Falls and below avg. winters cause that's what I remember happening before.

My own observations are equivocal. At my current location the 3 top Oct-Nov for precip were 2005 (by far the wettest), 2006, and 2003. One led to a terrible winter, one to a schizo - awful thru Jan, great thereafter and above avg in total, and 03-04 had two monster Dec storms followed by not very much. In Gardiner (autumns of 1985-97), the wettest were 1995 (we all know what came after that) and 1990, which led into my least snowy winter there. In my 10 Ft.Kent years, wet Oct-Nov invariably led to high-snow winters.

On the whole, I'd rather see strong fall storms than little storm activity. So far this month I'm at about 1.9", somewhat below my avg though there have been a lot of days with some rain. My Oct avg is 5.76", my wettest month. Farmington for 1981-2010 has avg 4.69", just 0.06" below Nov, their wettest for that period. However, for 1998-2011 (my years living one town east), their Oct avg is 5.96". They've recorded 15 months with 10"+ in their 120 yr observations, and 3 of them were Oct 2003, 05, and 06. Kind of skewed the avg.

Freezing outside today...with some snow over on Burke down to ~1,500ft I'd say.

41F here at LSC.

You talking flakes or accumulation at Burke? Snow level definitely is down around that height.

44F here in town and 41F up at the base of the ski resort at 1,500ft... quite a difference from yesterday's warmth! Also surprisingly windy today.

You talking flakes or accumulation at Burke? Snow level definitely is down around that height.

44F here in town and 41F up at the base of the ski resort at 1,500ft... quite a difference from yesterday's warmth! Also surprisingly windy today.

Haven't been up top, but earlier this afternoon there was a solid white cloud over the mountain. Accumulation is doubtful though.

Haven't been up top, but earlier this afternoon there was a solid white cloud over the mountain. Accumulation is doubtful though.

Looking eastward from Burlington yesterday, It seemed like there was snow falling out in the mountains at times, and as I was driving home I could see that the top 500’ or so of Camel’s Hump was capped with white. It certainly seems like there was some accumulation up high, because there was no snow reported at the stake for Monday’s reading, but there was a trace reported yesterday:

16OCT12A.jpg

By my best estimate, that’s the 5th round of accumulating snow this month. I was unsure about what went on over the weekend, but there was an inch of new snow reported on Sunday (or maybe it was sleet?), which must have been the 4th round of accumulation on top of the Monday, Thursday, and Friday events. Roger Hill isn’t seeing anything else in terms of snow until next week, but he’s keeping an eye on the 24th through 26th period, where there could be another round of snow that reaches down to the valleys.

28 with heavy heavy frost this morn.

The ground is very white and in the dim early morning light, it almost looks like snow. Almost.

Holy crap, not sure, but I think we just had an earthquake.

There was one near Montreal last week I think....!

But yeah, I felt it last night here at home. The house rumbled a bit, the chimney made a funny noise and it sounded for a second like a strong gust of wind had come through. I had just fired up the woodstove, so I thought it had something to do with the chimney/house heating up but apparently it was a quake. Sweet!

WOOOO! Starting VTrans training very soon! I start forecasting along with wxjim Nov 1!

Very soon for sure ctsnowstorm..... AOT forecasting is gonna be fun. Hopefully a snowy winter

Good luck guys! I guess wxjim will have to get himself an orange tag too. Seriously, it is nice to have some aspiring mets in our sub-forum. ctsnowstorm started sharing his forecasts with us last year, hopefully wxjim will chime in as well this year.

Archived