• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: ISAAC

So... I've decided to pull the trigger.

I'm bypassing the Keys scenario in order to really sink my teeth into what could be a real, red-meat cyclone landfall on the C Gulf Coast. Leaving for Atlanta in the morning, then driving down. At this point, I'm prepared for landfalls anywhere from Bay St. Louis, MS, to Apalachicola, FL-- and ready to adjust as needed.

This will be my first USA chase after a string of difficult Mexican expeditions, and my first Gulf Coast chase since 2008. It's interesting, the Mexico chases are the chaser's equivalent of altitude training-- you learn how to scratch out success with less tools at your disposal, in less comfortable conditions, etc.-- and you come out of them lean, mean, conditioned, and ready to tackle anything. Given this, I'm really excited for what I think will be a slightly easier chase in my own country.

This aside, I'm wondering if Isaac might break the USA's spectacular spell of no major-hurricane landfalls, which started back in October 2005.

Here I come!

post-19-0-99821400-1345950319_thumb.gif

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck to you Josh!

I grew up in Louisiana, so PM me if you have any questions. ;)

I've had a harsh reeducation session with him on how to handle the locals. As most know he didn't adhere to it the first time and almost resulted in a beat down and incarceration by a couple of nice and courteous lady officers in Franklin.

If the track keeps shifting W I might be joining him just so someone is there to bail him out if he gets all out of line like his first foray into Cajun Country.

Excited to follow the chase!

There's been a thought in the back of my mind of driving down to the Gulf coast from here in Wisconsin, closest a hurricane landfall can be pretty much. 1000 miles away which is an 18 hour drive, gas would be $250 total and maybe another $200 for other expenses?... downside is if I bring my own vehicle into that it could get messed up even if careful, and the semester is bearing down upon me. This is probably my only chance for a long time though. Hm.

Excited to follow the chase!

There's been a thought in the back of my mind of driving down to the Gulf coast from here in Wisconsin, closest a hurricane landfall can be pretty much. 1000 miles away which is an 18 hour drive, gas would be $250 total and maybe another $200 for other expenses?... downside is if I bring my own vehicle into that it could get messed up even if careful, and the semester is bearing down upon me. This is probably my only chance for a long time though. Hm.

I think you could do it in 16 hours. If you decide soon you can probably get some rest in before the storm. I assume it's grad school in some weather related field, so I doubt it would be too hard to find a co-pilot. I would go for it, you only live once.

00Z GFS has definitely trended west and shows steady NW movement toward a landfall just SE of NOLA. Given the increased likelihood that the trough will bypass Isaac, I would give the west camp--meaning LA--solid support now. Josh, do you have open routes to Plaquemines and Saint Bernard Parishes? I would look for good contacts there. Slidell might be a good staging location to consider if trends hold.

I've had a harsh reeducation session with him on how to handle the locals. As most know he didn't adhere to it the first time and almost resulted in a beat down and incarceration by a couple of nice and courteous lady officers in Franklin.

If the track keeps shifting W I might be joining him just so someone is there to bail him out if he gets all out of line like his first foray into Cajun Country.

That would be a very good idea.

Locals and law enforcement really don't like to see "outta-staters" messing around during a hurricane. It's also a very, very good idea to have a spotter if you decide to go down to the swampy areas in SLA.

Most would be surprised to watch how fast those things rise.

Hell who knows...

I might even take a red-eye to LA if this becomes something big.

I think you could do it in 16 hours. If you decide soon you can probably get some rest in before the storm. I assume it's grad school in some weather related field, so I doubt it would be too hard to find a co-pilot. I would go for it, you only live once.

I have the same feeling, these sort of opportunities are few and far between. I found this guide to hurricane chasing on stormtrack, pretty sobering. Going to have to think about this quite a bit before pulling the trigger, which I'll have to do by Monday if I do. http://www.stormtrac...rricane-Chasing

Josh makes it look easy ;)

Archived