Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
New England Late August Discussion, banter, obs

Baroclinic Zone

I can always tell summer is coming to a close due to the volume of the crickets

Can't believe I was still whacking deer flies today. They are usually done at the end of July

There has been a bumper crop of deer and horse flies this year, I am starting to realize that it was because of the high heat and dews we have had that they have been prolonged

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

70 beautiful degrees out. I hope everyone is having the best day they can have!!!! :sun::sun::sun:

I did just as you hoped.

Never had better tomatoes than this year. I took a chance and planted watermelons...harvested the first one today, enormous! very sweet and good. Made roasted tomato soup, sat out on the porch, hiked Mt. Kearsarge. A freakin awesome day. :icecream::sun:

Yeah, today was an exceptional August day! A high of a 69° off a morning low of 49° and temps cooling off nicely this evening. I love these kind of days!

Congrats on the high of 69F! Was that at 650ft or 1200ft?

Back up north now, and we hit 75F at MVL (730ft) after a low of 44F.

Standard lapse rates this afternoon between the ASOS stations in northern VT for highs:

BTV...78F (300ft)

MVL...75F (730ft)

MPV...72F (1200ft)

We went to Kimballs in Rindge and noticed a lot of people in jackets and shawls

I might be moving to near your hood soon, Princeton or up towards New Ipswich/Ashby. There's actually a very neat little house for sale in Princeton near 1150' on Hubbardston Rd. :)

Congrats on the high of 69F! Was that at 650ft or 1200ft?

Back up north now, and we hit 75F at MVL (730ft) after a low of 44F.

Here at 650'...It was mostly cloudy with breaks of sun here all day. My 1250' station is at the top end my sugarbush. I can't be certain what the high was there because that sensor has solar issues sometimes but I basically only keep track at my house.

The longer range seems to indicate perhaps milder than normal weather heading into September with troughing in western Canada and NW US. It doesn't look like 90 and swamp because thicknesses aren't really high enough, but there is a front nearby...probably a wet pattern too.

Hey Freak, how often do the peaks up there get Sept. snow, more than just flakes in the air? (say 1"+)
I honestly am not that sure...I'll have to look through the coop data but we may be due. In my 8 years up here I've never seen it but a couple years back (09-10 I think) we got 2-4" on October 2nd. Ive seen rime in September but not accumulating snow. I've seen pictures of it though so I know it happens.

I noticed the above exchange, and since I have all the raw snowpack data from the Mt. Mansfield co-op station downloaded from when I created the Mt. Mansfield 24” snowpack plot, I scanned through the September numbers back to 1954. Since the collection of actual snowfall at that station can be a bit dicey, I first checked the snowpack data that I had, and found three occurrences of September snowpack at the stake:

Date Accumulation at the stake (in.)

9/15/1959 1

9/16/1986 4

9/17/1986 2

However, assuming they have historically been using the same practice of reporting the depth of the snowpack at the end of the day (~5:00 P.M. or so) as they do now, it was likely that there was overnight September snowfall that simply didn’t make it through the entirety of many warm, September days to be reported from the stake. Therefore, I also checked the snowfall data, and found that indeed there are a fair amount of reports of September snowfall:

Date Snowfall (in.)

9/15/1959 1.00

9/24/1966 0.50

9/2/1967 0.30

9/25/1967 1.50

9/22/1976 1.00

9/28/1980 0.50

9/16/1986 4.00

9/24/1989 1.00

9/21/1991 1.00

9/28/1991 0.30

9/29/1991 1.00

9/30/1992 0.30

9/23/1998 0.30

9/30/2009 0.02

Not all of those reports are an inch or greater, and there are a few years with no data, but accumulating September snow does happen on Mt. Mansfield, at roughly a couple times each decade. About half of those reports are an inch or more, so accumulation at that level is about once a decade. I’m not quite sure what was going on with the 2009 number, since one doesn’t generally report snowfall to the hundredths of an inch; perhaps they are reporting a trace on that one. Not surprisingly, September snowfall is more frequent on Mt. Washington with a couple thousand feet of extra vertical – the September monthly average there is 2.2” inches, and the monthly maximum is almost 8 inches, so accumulating September snow is probably fairly common.

I also scanned the Mt. Mansfield data for August, and there was even one report of accumulation there:

Date Snowfall (in.)

8/28/1986 0.20

Since there was also mention of October, I took a look at those data as well. Because accumulating October snowfall is already fairly common even down here in the mountain valleys of the Northern Greens (out of the six season’s worth of snowfall data I have collected here, four Octobers have seen accumulating snowfall, and the average is right around an inch) I figured that getting October accumulation on Mt. Mansfield must be almost a lock. Indeed that’s the case; after checking the snowpack data from 1954 – 2012, there are only a handful of seasons without reported snowpack, and one of those seasons did at least show some snowfall:

Seasons without reported October snowpack on Mt. Mansfield

1956-1957

1963-1964 – 0.1” snowfall

1971-1972

1973-1974

1985-1986

1996-1997

2007-2008

So essentially it’s about twice a decade that there is accumulating snow on Mt. Mansfield in September, and about once a decade that there isn’t accumulating snow on Mt. Mansfield in October.

Archived