joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Talking Winter 2012-2013

wederwarrior

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sampling you did was only for verified ninos?

Latest CFS2(s) continue to trend toward la nada.

post-623-0-19969100-1349008896_thumb.gif

Yes, the relationship doesn't work without the El Nino. I was trying to find an indicator that worked, and noticed that there was a partial correlation with +ENSO's only within the dataset. No Correlation in neatral/Nin's situations. I think many people are realizing the upcoming status of our supposive "Nino" is not developing very well. It has the GLAAM/PDO working against it, The GWO in more of a La NIna Phase state, and an SOI signal that could be better. Also, if you look at the underwater anomalies from the TAO, Warm Anomalies are quickly eroding, and even is some places being replaced by cooler water. It wouldn't surprise me to see a La Nina Next Year. I still think there will be an EQ El Nino this winter, but it will be pretty weak.

post-105-0-76043300-1349083388_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-68941500-1349083389_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-52870200-1349083390_thumb.jpg

Not that precip in the summer across the US is the be-all, end-all in winter weather patterns but it would not be a bad thing to get a nice soaking rainstorm across the Plains and Midwest right about now to help dent the drought a bit. Would hate to have a quasi-zonal or even split flow pattern for any stretch of the winter with the Plains drought continuing.

post-105-0-60740700-1349083580_thumb.jpg

We were running into the same issues along the East Coast in 2002 with a prolonged dry spell before a wet October and November helped set the table for a nice winter.

Again, precip patterns aren't the be-all/end-all but it doesn't hurt to get some rain across the Midwest to moisten things up...

Yes, the relationship doesn't work without the El Nino. I was trying to find an indicator that worked, and noticed that there was a partial correlation with +ENSO's only within the dataset. No Correlation in neatral/Nin's situations. I think many people are realizing the upcoming status of our supposive "Nino" is not developing very well. It has the GLAAM/PDO working against it, The GWO in more of a La NIna Phase state, and an SOI signal that could be better. Also, if you look at the underwater anomalies from the TAO, Warm Anomalies are quickly eroding, and even is some places being replaced by cooler water. It wouldn't surprise me to see a La Nina Next Year. I still think there will be an EQ El Nino this winter, but it will be pretty weak.

Last three winters have given me some new found respect for the NAO which in the northeast I should have had all along. So, yes anything outside of the tropics that we can glean will help more than average given the state of the nino.

Jack's :( NF pool: Pos NAO

Your box TBD

Recurving tropics: I think neutral

Eurasian snowcover TBD

Although I think this is an excellent idea, I am not overly thrilled on naming a storm after him. It would end up being the storm that gets all the hype to be a major snow storm and then his blow torch comes along and turns it all to rain!

I say we name winter storms that threaten our region by poster names here in alphabetical order.

First up:

WINTER STORM AM19PSU :pimp:

Archived